Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What Alcohol was you consuming at the end days of your drinking ?

Notices
View Poll Results: What Price Range Was The Alcohol In At The End Of Your Drinking
The Most Expensive Brands On Earth
3.89%
Big Brand Names
47.08%
Lesser Known Brand Names/ Supermarket's Own Brand
49.03%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

What Alcohol was you consuming at the end days of your drinking ?

Old 11-08-2021, 08:22 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I always drank white wine, started out with 'good' wine, ended up getting the cheap stuff so I could get more of it. Once in a while drank gin.

So glad I don't drink anymore.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:29 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Oh gosh- ummm...i think my last days were a few liters of VAT69. There might have been some swill vodka in there too. The thought of it now triggers my gag reflex. ugh.....

I can't believe I lived like that for so long. I take it back. That was not living-that was dying. I live now.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:22 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Vodka.

On my last slip, coming up now on three years ago, I drank a half gallon (1.75) of Jim Beam, woke up on Friday thinking it was Thursday, to a trashed out house. Lucky I didn't lose my job.

Honestly lately, I've been seriously thinking about getting loaded again for old time sake. I'm sick of this life ax nf just want to drink myself to death, Nick Cage 'Leaving Las Vegas' style. Sick of this -itch -ss life.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:28 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by proudtobehere View Post
I eventually ended up with Pinnacle Vodka as it's the best bang for the buck. Also switched to Gatorade sugar free as a mixer as sugar was a trigger for a hangover. Still can't control myself no matter what I try. Resigned to the fact I will just die before my time

are you still drinking? Are you giving up, like I feel like doing?
Old 11-24-2021, 06:38 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you came back Amnesiac. I really believe a little support and connection, along with some sobriety, can work wonders man.

D
Old 11-25-2021, 03:13 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Every day and night in this order: Beer, gin, whiskey, wine (repeat in that order). Over the years, the levels of the gin/whiskey/ and wine in the glasses rose, while I went down. Wasted days and cruel nights.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:33 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

ashamed

Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
are you still drinking? Are you giving up, like I feel like doing?
I chide myself everyday with valid reasons to quit. I want nothing more than to go back to what I enjoyed with my 20 months of sobriety two years ago. I fail everyday occasionally managing a night off to recharge my batteries. I am not giving up as I know it's possible but damn it so hard.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:01 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Administrator

support helps a lot proudtobehere - we're here to help

D
Old 11-28-2021, 06:39 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Sober 22 days today. Alcoholic for about 10 total years, but was only a daily drinker around years 2 thru 4, maybe barely into year 5. Slowly cut back since then. Mainly just a once a week (4 to 9 days between drinks) binge drinker when I stopped Nov 6th. It was always drink to blackout though. My drinks were 750 ml 100 proof cheap rot gut vodka in the beginning after I built up my tolerance, which as I cut back in the last few years, I reduced to no more than a pint per incident OR about 12 natty daddys per incident. The hangover on that cheap natty is just horrendous. Most of them last for 2 days. So happy to be sober.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:09 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Vodka. $5.99 for a fifth. Cheap. Store brand diet ginger ale. Was drinking about a fifth a night.

Is there anything more gnarly than cheap vodka? I mean I am cheap but even I wouldn't go lower than Philips (which I'm sure some here would think is appalling stuff in itself).

I would go the Kamchatka pint route here for a while but I think even I couldn't tolerate that rot it was so horrid. Philips was "my brand" though for sure - I found it about as tolerable as there was for about $7 buck s a liter or whatever it was.

Originally Posted by Vik88 View Post
When i was detoxing i even drank some listerine and such things (several years ago, 5 at least).

I was a listerine drinker for a while. My dad had to stash if after a while because he knew I was stealing his Walmart brand jugs and getting hammered off of them. The hangovers from drinking mouthwash drove me to the brink of wanting to commit suicide.

The crazy thing about Minnesota here is just around the time I was forced to get sober, they legalized Sunday sales (it was always illegal to sell in MN - other than that 3.2 stuff). I used to drive drunk to Wisconsin on Sundays to get my stuff. Or like I said, just shop at the CVS down the street for mouthwash. Hellish.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:39 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

My end stage drink was cheap, supermarket own brand vodka cleverly hidden (eye roll) in bottles of diet cola!!

Trying to fool myself! Denial denial denial.

I also used to put vodka in dark glassed beer bottles so to the outside world it looked like I was sipping beer.

My dad used to say he was drinking mineral water, Thing was, you could smell the pure gin in the glass from the other side of the room.

Us "clever" alkies!! All madness.

So grateful I don't pull deceitful stunts like that anyone.

Funny, this morning I got some of the same brand diet cola from the shop. I haven't bought it for many years. A friend of mine likes it and stopping by my home. What a joy just to look at it and smile. All that insanity is gone. Nowadays, I wouldn't even drink cola let alone vodka laced cola. I respect my health too much now.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:36 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

I was Drinking Whiskey.. And a LOT of it!
Old 02-13-2022, 03:32 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

I have just recently been through the worst detox of my life recently.
I was drinking 5 litres of vodka every single day, without fail. Been an alcoholic since 15 yrs old
I kept waking up in the ER then checking myself out and getting a taxi home.
I eventually woke up in a high security psych ward and then going into severe withdrawals, they didn’t know what was going on so then I was taken to a critical care hospital in the North of England (Cramlington emergency care hospital) upon arrival the consultants were talking to one another and said I had a 95% chance of dying, then I started with hallucinations and seeing dead relatives and other strange auditory hallucinations, but they were SO REAL, then Status Epilepticus. They made the decision to put me into a medically induced coma, only problem was, I wasn’t waking up. I did after 5 days. I now have ataxia and mobility issues and need 24hr care. Oh and incontinence and cirrhosis, the list goes on… I am refusing a transplant because I have reached the end of the line and I am at peace with this horrific disease.

Sober now but it’s too late.

I am 29 years old. Please hold on with every bit of strength you have BECAUSE YOU DO HAVE IT God Bless.
Old 06-07-2022, 12:48 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Beer, beer and more ...... cider. I never liked hard liquor and only drank wine over meals. I bought whatever good beer was on sale - rotating through a few brands I liked.

I prefer diet cordial now. It's hydrating and has some flavour - but no sugar.
Old 06-07-2022, 12:50 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnxiousAspie View Post
I am 29 years old.
Wow I am so sorry to hear that. I have just returned to SR from a long hiatus and remember you from when I was here before. This is not the news I wanted to hear.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:31 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

It started in college years, lots of party, lots of girls and PLENTY of drinks, specially beer.
Those days were fun, I got wasted, but only on those occasions.
I continued enjoyed beer after college, but gradually I started enjoying white wine and red wine during meals. Then, "because of the Summer heat" (Yeah, right...), I started drinking not one, but two beers at lunch. Then, I always drank 2 beers at lunch.
Then I started working at home some days and began drinking beer BEFORE lunch. This was the tipping point, I guess. By drinking before lunch, I'd go to lunch already with that tingling feeling, so add 2 more beers and I'd be perfect.
Of course, it only got worse. I started buying the cheapest supermarket brand beer, I chose, not the best, but the one with the most alcohol content - some 50cl 8% ABV german beer. Typical day I'd drink 5 or 6, which compares to 10 or 12 regular beers.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:28 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

I went from 2 or 3 very good bottles of red wine a week with dinner to 12 ish well known UK German super Market's not so finest ! . Although I would buy better wines when friends came for dinner. I suppose that was just to hide what I was really.
Come December I make truffles, cakes and liquor chocolates for friends and family. I ended up swapping for cheaper supermarket brands of Rum, brandy, sherry, Irish cream etc as I was having to replace them many times because well 1 or 2 cheeky shots wouldn't hurt ! Would it 🤔 . Sad thing is I don't even like spirits !
Old 06-29-2022, 05:19 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Vodka, Rum, Whiskey
Old 07-08-2022, 07:13 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

White wine is my favorite type of alcohol. I usually consume wine with pork steaks or any other meat. I cannot say that I drink it often.
Old 07-08-2022, 02:24 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your white wine days are behind you

D