Notices

How to deal with drinking buddies

Old 04-13-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Very good question. I am right about where you are in my sobriety. And you know what? It's ok to be selfish. It is REQUIRED this early on, right now, in my opinion. If this person is a "drinking buddy" I would stay far away. If, however, this person is a good friend then be there as much as you can without compromising your sobriety. I have found, like another person said, that my "friends" have not checked on me since I started this journey. But I am ok with that. I am not in their "club" anymore, and they don't know what to do with me. My new "club", however, is much more bad ass. Never feel guilty about putting your sobriety first. It's a matter of Life and Death.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

There is a saying in AA (ain't in the BB, I don't think) that there is a better chance of your drinking buddies getting you drunk than there is for you to help them get sober.

I have been sober a while and sometimes call my best former drinking friend to go to lunch.

He knows that he can turn to me at any time for anything.

But I couldn't go around him for the first few years, because it played a head game with me.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sober Day # 68 after being dependent on wine, daily, for years.

But I couldn't go around him for the first few years, because it played a head game with me.
Whenever the subject of our drinking came up, I would let her convince me that we didn't really have a problem, and that we could moderate.

I DO have a problem, and I don't want to talk about it with her anymore.
The only answer for me is to never drink again.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Me too. Way I see it with my old drinking buddy, at the moment I don't have anything he wants and he doesn't have anything I want. All he wants is someone to listen to him go over and over the problem. But ultimately he wants to carry on drinking without the consequences of drinking. The day he contacts me to say he's ready to start talking about the solution I'll be there, but for now, he doesn't get a seat at my table. He's sick, and I have to remember that I have a low immunity for that kind of stuff myself and stay away from slippery people and places.

Might sound harsh to some. The people who think that are welcome to go listen to his drunken or hungover self-pity record on repeat if they believe that will help him. I don't belive for one second it does anything to help him while he still wants to drink, and I value my sobriety too much to jeopardy it.

BB
I guess I've been doing it wrong - my old "drinking buddies" are not toxic to me in the least. They respect my decision and have been nothing but supportive. It's a bit different dynamic than some, since we work in health care, but we have an honest caring for each other that transcends any drinking we did together. Since quitting, I have attended a wedding and a cookout, and was totally comfortable not drinking. One thing I've learned is that people that are drinking seldom care whether you are.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grayghost1965 View Post
I guess I've been doing it wrong - my old "drinking buddies" are not toxic to me in the least. They respect my decision and have been nothing but supportive. It's a bit different dynamic than some, since we work in health care, but we have an honest caring for each other that transcends any drinking we did together. Since quitting, I have attended a wedding and a cookout, and was totally comfortable not drinking. One thing I've learned is that people that are drinking seldom care whether you are.
Most of my friends I'd say are similar to how you describe. The one particular drinking buddy I was referring to in that post is a massive exception to that rule. Unfortunately he was someone who almost felt like family as he'd been the main drinking friend for years and years. In fact we had a joint 30th (mine) and 60th (his) birthday fiasco. (It was a complete fiasco as well). Apparently a lot of people presumed he was my father because we were together so much, and so close. Thing is, the main thing we had in common was how we drank. And while I got sober, he took up my slack and has gone to a whole new low. All very sad and very toxic I'm afraid.