Notices

Engineering Student Alcoholism

Old 07-06-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Engineering Student Alcoholism

Currently in my last year as a Mechanical engineer at a prestigious university and I recently got jumped on my way home from the library. It caused brain trauma and a loss of hearing for a month, which completely eliminated my ability to interact with people. I started to resort to drinking to the point that I was finishing a little under a 1/2 of a 1.75L everyday for about a month. I am now shaking and have a tremendous amount of anxiety around people and im not sure what coping methods there are to stop this habit. Obviously, the drinking is one of them, but I dont know how to do it.

I have never used forums, but I really want to change. I hope this forum wont bash me.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. If you are having the shakes when you don't drink, you might want to get medical help in getting safely thru withdrawal. Alcohol detox lasts a few days, and the doctor can help you get thru it more comfortably.

I think you'll find this is quite a friendly forum. Many of us have been where you are and we understand how hard it can be.

I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

We;re all very friendly here bullkn0x

You don;t say how long you've been drinking like this, and only a Doctor could say for sure, but it could be the drinking and anxiety are actually tied to your drinking?

You'll find a lot of support here - this community helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you too

D
Old 07-06-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome bull - we care about you & would never bash you.

I'm so sorry that happened. I hope talking things over here will help you feel less alone with the problem. I definitely agree a doctor should be consulted - just to be safe.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I would thing prestigious universities would have prestigious student health services. You might check there for substance abuse help and counseling.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I would thing prestigious universities would have prestigious student health services. You might check there for substance abuse help and counseling.
I dont want to make this recognized within my university as I am kind of ashamed of this, and scared, and to answer the previous question, i started drinking heavily for about a month straight since the incident, and Ive tried to slow down as I am in my final Capstone, basically an engineering project to finalize your degree that is going to be presented in front of hundreds of people and my anxiety levels are through the roof at the moment just talking to people. I am waiting to hear back from a therapist, but in the mean time im so desperate for immediate help.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome bull - we care about you & would never bash you.

I'm so sorry that happened. I hope talking things over here will help you feel less alone with the problem. I definitely agree a doctor should be consulted - just to be safe.
What kind of doctor do I contact, I have never dealt with this kind of stuff before, and dont really know how to go about it.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with those who suggest the anxiety you're experiencing may be tied to acute alcohol dependence. Once you're able to stay away from alcohol for more than a week or so, most of the anxiety will likely abate.

Unfortunately, in the meantime, your anxiety is probably making you unnecessarily resistant to seeking help where it's most obvious. Your university has strict guidelines to protect the privacy of those who make use of its health services. The doctors there have undoubtedly seen cases of alcohol dependence before, and will not judge you nor violate your privacy. Go to the health center and tell them exactly what you've told us, without holding anything back. Do it ASAP. Every day that you continue to try to find relief in a bottle, you'll get worse instead of better, and you need to get to feeling better in time for your big presentation
Old 07-06-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bullkn0x View Post
What kind of doctor do I contact, I have never dealt with this kind of stuff before, and dont really know how to go about it.
A general practitioner would probably be able to help you. You could also go to the ER or maybe student health services and tell them what's going on. Either way, alcohol withdrawal is nothing to take lightly, and can be fatal, so I would definitely seek medical attention to take sure you're safe. I don't mean to scare you, but I was hospitalized twice as a result of withdrawal seizures because I decided to stop drinking cold turkey without professional help.
Best of luck to you.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Bullknox,

We have a lot in common - both of us became dependent on alcohol around the same time in college.

I had to check into the emergency room. I am not a doctor, so I can't diagnose you. But what I was experiencing, which sounds very similar to what you are feeling, ie shaking and severe anxiety, was due to alcohol withdrawal.

It's a very serious state to be in, as alcohol can induce a physical dependence. The worst symptoms can be seizures, hallucinations and death. Drinking hard for a month straight like you have is concerning and it is definitely at a dangerous level.

If you can't stop on your own, which I imagine is why you're posting, any M.D. should be able to help you. Call your school's crisis hotline, or substance abuse or psychiatric line.

Otherwise check into Mass General or St. Elizabeth's in Brighton. They'll know what you need to get healthy again. Believe me, you aren't the first person they've seen in this state. Be completely honest with all medical staff.

Maybe call Alcoholics Anonymous as well if you need some spiritual guidance after stopping.

Good luck,
BtH
Old 07-06-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is a wonderful forum, it's the first I've ever joined and it's been a life saver.

If you aren't comfortable going to the Student Health clinic, then I agree with BorntoHula's advice about the hospital and AA.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Bullknox, I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you. That's awful. I know there must be a lot of pressure on you, being in the engineering program at a prestigious school. (My son is heading to college in August and is majoring in engineering.) People here have given you great advice. Use the resources at your school, that's what they're there for. Plenty of college students have alcohol problems --- nothing you can say will shock the doctors. And by law, they must protect your privacy, so don't worry about that.

Are you on good terms with your parents? As a mom myself, I would want to know if my son were going through what you are so I could help him.

I hope you get the help you need. Please post back here and let us know how you're doing.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There are AA meetings happening every day in Boston. The folk there could be a good support network for you while you don't want to discuss your problem within your student community. The people there are also likely to know the best (and the worst) Doctors and counsellors in the area as well.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery, and for this term at Uni.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

What you describe so far does not sound like classic alcoholism. It sounds more like your were severely traumatised by the attack, who wouldn't be, and have been attempting to treat that with alcohol. Lots of people do that sort of thing. It is kinda traditional, someone has a big shock and we hand them a large brandy to settle their nerves.

Trauma and big shocks don't cause alcoholism, but it might cause a person to misuse alcohol by "self medicating". In this case the correct thing to do is to see a doctor or therapist and get the right treatment with the right medication if it is called for. Medication may not be required with the right therapy.

If you have a drinking history, and maybe a family history, that is alcoholic in nature (which you have not disclosed so far), then that would require a different approach.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you could get excused from school for a week for medical reasons, " the assault " issue I'd go a medical detox and get clean under medical supervision! The detox can't tell anyone about anything..

You just spent 3.9 years of school with huge career potential, don't throw all that hard work away for anything! Get clean and finish school! And most importantly stay clean!!

Wishing you the best!!
Old 07-06-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome BK
Old 07-07-2016, 12:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome BulknOx.So sorry to hear of the experience prior to alcohol now getting you through.Stay close to SR as these guys are the best.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncorked View Post
Hi Bullknox, I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you. That's awful. I know there must be a lot of pressure on you, being in the engineering program at a prestigious school. (My son is heading to college in August and is majoring in engineering.) People here have given you great advice. Use the resources at your school, that's what they're there for. Plenty of college students have alcohol problems --- nothing you can say will shock the doctors. And by law, they must protect your privacy, so don't worry about that.

Are you on good terms with your parents? As a mom myself, I would want to know if my son were going through what you are so I could help him.

I hope you get the help you need. Please post back here and let us know how you're doing.
Borntohula thank you so much for the reassurance and yes I am on good terms with my parents, but I dont want to scare them into saying they dont want me to go to school so ive been trying to figure out ways to fix it on my own. That is a good idea to contact the school resources, and man, to all of you guys and gals , I never thought that I would find so much support on the internet. I expected it to be full of trolls, so thank you so much
Old 07-09-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry about the attack. I got attacked in March and not nearly as injured as you were, but it shook me to the core. I became very fearful and distrustful, changed all my routines, carried pepper spray in spite of the fact that I'm sure I would spray myself with it in a crunch.

I agree that you are having residual trauma and perhaps healing up a brain injury, all of which is a lot to deal with even apart from your capstone project.

Student Health Services will have both experience and high confidentiality so I hope you will drop in there. Mention both the injury and the self-medication; also mention your current project status. They are invested in both your health and your academic success.

Make sure you are getting good nutrition: high quality protein needed for healing brain trauma. How is your sleep? Do you have a friend or ally nearby who can help by being there? As a mother, I'd want to help my son; as a daughter, I'd want not to upset Mom. So, tough call. But don't be alone if at all possible.

Take care and best wishes on the project!
Old 07-10-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I give you a lot of credit for asking for help.

I drank horribly through college (at a might less prestigious university than you), law school and grad school.

I did terribly in college, but I performed fairly well in my post-grad efforts, even though I got drunk every night.

It sure sounds like you need help.

I would go to a psychiatrist and let him or her make and assessment and point you in the direction of further help.

Please stay around here, my friend, we like you already.