Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part X: "The Adventures of Sober Cow"

Notices

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part X: "The Adventures of Sober Cow"

Old 01-25-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
However, they suspect they may yet have inner resources from which they can draw to aid that recovery, even if they're not completely sure what those inner resources may be.
My inner race horses all dropped out of the race and deserted me. Here's a poem: Dream Song 14 by John Berryman : The Poetry Foundation. The number of things over which I have found myself to be powerless continues to grow and grow.

That isn't something that bothers me now. I'm one of those that have had to admit complete defeat. And admit it over and over again. But tricking your mind into accepting deals that will help you make it through the days sober -- I'm a supporter of pretty much whatever works.

Have a good meeting, Cow!
Old 01-25-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Dear Cow, "Power" is a strange thing. Some consider it something to wield over others. Some consider it strength. I don't think it's an emotion. It evokes emotion, and exercising it certainly causes emotion.

To me, "power" is standing up when beaten down. It's personal. It's asking life, "Is that all you got?" Power doesn't apply to other people, for me. It's between me and the world. I may get slapped around and beaten down, by my own choices or happenstance, yet I can stand up and live on. That's power.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Power is basically energy. When we are defeated by our addictions and feeling low. We have low energy and sure - feel powerless to fight back. Our feelings aren't us. So I don't think it makes US powerless, we just FEEL powerless. Afterall, we are still able to summon and command enough energy to execute our little deceitful schemes to obtain our fix. I like your tricksy thinking Cow. If you can summon energy. Then you can feel empowered. Then you will have the power to direct your life how you choose.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm powerless over time, over the effects of drug and alcohol abuse on my body and mind, over my genes, over the aging process. It's not a matter of feeling -- it's a matter of fact.

When I ingest a chemical, I can't un-ingest it. For me, one of the sick thrills of using was surrender to the inevitable -- knowing that even if I immediately regretted taking in the substance, now I was in for the ride.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

My war with alcohol is over and I lost. Am I powerless over it? Guess that would depend on how you define powerlessness. All said and done I just avoid that first drink. I keep things simple and don't get to wrapped up in what others think. Cow seems to be doing well and however she comes to grip with sobriety is good.

Last summer there was a member who refused to believe he was powerless over booze but could wrap his head around the concept he was powerless about what happens after taking that first drink. Fine. It's all good.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Ken, seems like if you stay sober you won the war, no?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Hi cow keep on fighting, I am.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Cow,
i never "liked" the AA notion (notion???) that i'm powerless over alcohol either..
no, didn't like it one bit, thought it was crazy and untrue. certainly for me. i just needed to focus on power and focus my intellect on the task of commanding power better.
sigh.
(most of us thought that. it's all over these boards.)
i did experiment after experiment, ever more desperately focussing my intellect on the task of commanding power better.
it didn't work.
maybe you are different.
of course you are; anhedonia and all that.
but you're NOT different in believing you'll do this through more power, or in that you don't believe yourself to be powerless over alcohol.

the "inner resource" comes straight from the BB appendix:
" With few exceptions our members find that they have tapped an unsuspected inner resource which they presently identify with their own conception of a Power greater than themselves.
Most of us think this awareness of a Power greater than ourselves the essence of spiritual experience. Our more religious members call it "God-consciousness."

and still speaks to a power greater than ourselves, i.e. can be within us but is not me, or you, or us.
and i don't think this is so for only atheists, agnostics or freethinkers (what are those who aren't freethinkers?? enslavedthinkers?). you could be a theist, deist, pantheist, whatever, and still your understanding of a power greater than you can be an unsuspected inner resource.

and yes, i found the mention of "unsuspected inner resource" giving me tons of room.

i'll try and be quiet now.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I would have trouble with saying I was powerless over it too Cow. Against it I know I can't win and that is why I don't even try. Just walk away because you got no shot of controlling this. I will say that when I quit it felt like divine intervention and it seemed like there was something leading me out. I have changed my mind on what it is many times. I know believe it to be a supercool Silentrun but at first I really did believe it to be supernatural. If that is what they are talking about then I didn't identify it as such at first.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Oh hello, little Kittycat! You keepa go! And welcome little Ninjadog.

fini gonna try and be quiet! Nooooo! Just promises me you never ever stop sighing every time I says something.

Obvious everybody define "power" on their own terms, so I agrees with everybody! Now I just gonna be over here try to amass more power ... ...and then I will smote mine enemies and assimilate those which may be advantageous to me.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Assimilate not thine enemy Caffeine! Smote, smite, smitten!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

How are you today you beautiful baby bovine you ?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

i sigh a lot, Cow.
my sighs are nuanced, depending on scenarios.
truly, in real life i sigh a lot, but mostly think it's just about taking a deep breath.
breaking silence already!

thought more last night about my own struggles with "powerless". just sharing now:

when i got sober, my thinking really was in the "'muster more intellect to command more power to engage more stick-to-it-ness!" even though it hadn't worked that way for me in the gazillion tries before. it was the only lens i had to see it through. even though my own experience didn't fit through the filter.
the whole idea i had of AA and powerlessness was an offensive and obnoxious blur; for basically stupid weak people who needed religion to get through the day. (just telling what i really thought. pretty awful. sigh)
after a year or two sober, i "allowed" the percolating stuff of the disconnect between my own experience and my belief-system about it to come to the forefront. i thought of it in terms of choice. eventually labelled it "the choice-thing". it took me months of conversation on my LifeRing forum. the gist: if i had choice, why would i have kept choosing to go back to drinking when i had chosen not to? and of course i made a choice, except...it never presented as "choice" in the way i understood that in other areas of my life.
if i were truly freely choosing repeated returns to this misery, i must be insane.
i wrestled with this for months. felt like a battle between my own experience and my intellect. i needed to "get it" on an intellectual level. i needed to make sense of something that didn't. because my experience was true.
i did this from a distance, and you're in a much more immediate spot.

the reason i'm writing all this, sigh, is that i finally got it: my choice was impaired. by addiction/alcoholism. i had choice, but couldn't access the power or control to use it the way i had decided to even just that morning. and having choice but being impaired in the access is NOT having it.

i didn't realize til much much later that the entire choice-thing is about powerlessness. it finally clicked.
i had lost the power of choice.

the sigh about that is solely one of relief.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
i had lost the power of choice.
Didn't you make a choice though? You could have chosen to continue drinking, but you didn't. So didn't you choose to quit drinking?

You lost the power of choice for moderate, normal drinking.

That's how I see it anyway.

I don't think much about power, for what it's worth. It must be an instinctual thing in my world. I might sense power. But I don't find myself consciously thinking about it at all. I feel pinched in some areas, so maybe there's a lack of power there? I feel wide open in other areas, more power? I dunno. I must see power as possibility instead. Limited or limitless possibilities.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Borg Cow awake and ready to assimilate many hour of Australian Open tennis today.

Meeting last night was okay, excepting one woman go ON and ON about her story, after we was told to keep short so everybody can talk, and plus also, we already had speaker who tell his story. But this lady would no shuts up. Was obvious everybody getting frustrated and was glaring patiently at her cuz she taking up their time to talk. (Is it sign of my sociopathy that these type of situation delight me?)

Anyway, talk to couple cool people after. Explain my anhedonia/stimulant/booze cycle to them. I gonna has to come up with better way to explain anhedonia, cuz I realizing is very hard for lot of people to fathom.

And how is you all today?

fini, I understand my decision making organ is not only manipulated by addiciton, it also physical damage and altered, and the anhedonia make it so one choice not that different to me than other choice. Cuz is nothing driving choices but my intellect. Like I was tell them last night, nobody story "inspire" me, or give me "hope", or makes me feel I "belong" and I can do it too. I just there because I try find way to strengthen my power to make better choices even if I not feel motivated by anything to do so. Everybody say you not can "think" you self sober, but, you know, it kind of ALL I GOT.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
Meeting last night was okay, excepting one woman go ON and ON about her story, after we was told to keep short so everybody can talk, and plus also, we already had speaker who tell his story. But this lady would no shuts up. Was obvious everybody getting frustrated and was glaring patiently at her cuz she taking up their time to talk. (Is it sign of my sociopathy that these type of situation delight me?
Doubt it's much to do with sociopathy, but I'll share my little experience with this sort of situation. At Continuing Care (which was offered to us after IOP for up to two years), there was this god awful crazy b*#$@ who would come into meetings and take up way more than her share of time. Many would sigh, roll eyes, clear throats, and even interrupt her. She knew exactly what she was doing and didn't care. So as soon as she walked into the room, I'd leave the meeting that day. I'd just get up and leave if I saw her coming. It was that ridiculous. No sense in me sitting there and wasting time, right? That's what I thought anyway.

She would make my blood boil. So I had to leave. To protect myself, lol. And others She insulted me openly once and I let her have it. She fled the room in tears. But that didn't stop her. She was right back at her snarky, insults the next time I saw her. So it was either get up and leave her presence or put up with her BS. The counselor didn't do much to stop her.

You seem to handle that situation much better than me, Cow
Old 01-26-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Really? So, my delight in this sad woman being oblivious but sincere yappy jackass while whole room suffer through it, is handle it better? Sweet!!!

PS. ^I has to admit, AA catfight would has delighted me. My monies is on SJ! For the take down! TKO!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Sure I think so. There was not much hope for me to delight in my situation, and so I left and missed out on the rest of the meeting.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Hey Cow! I just had a colonoscopy on fri and got the stomach flu at 2:30 am last night. I got the trash out, daughter fed and puppy is ongoing. Having like 10 calories in 60 hrs has me weak but has had no effect on the whole I-don't-drink thing. Apples and oranges.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Everybody say you not can "think" you self sober, but, you know, it kind of ALL I GOT.
I don't know if you can think yourself sober or not, but lots of folks can, and have done it. You don't seem to be the type to take other's limitations as your own, so all you got is plenty.