Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part VIII: "When on Fire, Save what of Value"

Notices

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part VIII: "When on Fire, Save what of Value"

Old 10-11-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

to: ImperfectlyME..I kind of understand. SHE is a drama queen and knows the buttons to push. BUT? god for bid, she did id...I' be the worst mother ever. HER therapist cx for monday until the 23. SO?
Old 10-11-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I have to have a purpose...something to work for

A purpoise would be good too...

D
Old 10-11-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

courage2 (is there a courage, a courage1 and then...?)

nono, i didn't see your post as glamorizing anything. and it's great you have found ways to restore balance when it teeters.
it took me about four sober years to understand that drinking HAD, in fact, been my solution and that i now needed another one.
so, in a way, i can't entirely agree that alcohol never solved anything. it "solved" the problem of finding a real, good, positive solution for living. solved it by being the stopgap so i didn't need to find a REAL one.

your quote Where does a person acquire value? is what i've been thinking about, too, and the trite-sounding answer is two-fold, for me: one, intrinsically we either have it or not just by being a living being with some kind of spirit, and two: by doing something of value.
so Dee's "purpose", i think, fits in there.
do i find "meaning" or do i "make" meaning by doing something meaningful?

those sorts of things.

going off topic slightly.

as usual.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

I agree with Fini, about human value... I see it as two-fold... first, intrinsic or inherent, by virtue of simply "being" here and being alive. As well as the value in defined meaning, for myself. Meaning and purpose (or porpoise, lol) in the here and now. What means something to/for me? I am the one who alone must answer that question. We each do, for ourselves.

One observation... lately, my purpose and meaning has shifted away from "doing" to "being." Not entirely of course. But there's a shift there for me toward the being side. There's also acceptance of my limitations. I might've been offended personally by that statement a few years ago. But I think it's based in reality. And the recognition that my time is indeed limited. There's only so much I can "do" so my "being" then takes on more significance.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by fini View Post
so, in a way, i can't entirely agree that alcohol never solved anything. it "solved" the problem of finding a real, good, positive solution for living. solved it by being the stopgap so i didn't need to find a REAL one.
Didn't mean to imply "never" -- alcohol whatever it may ever have been for me is no longer a viable solution. I simply can't drink safely any more.

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
intrinsic or inherent, by virtue of simply "being" here and being alive. As well as the value in defined meaning, for myself. Meaning and purpose (or porpoise, lol) in the here and now. What means something to/for me? I am the one who alone must answer that question. We each do, for ourselves.

One observation... lately, my purpose and meaning has shifted away from "doing" to "being."
I've said here before that I can't fathom the idea of inherent meaning. So for me, meaning must be made, not found. (And, unfortunately, it disappears as soon as made. I'm pretty sure. Sucks.) This has been the central idea of my recovery, at least once I got past my mother's funerals -- everything since relates to it. I think it's interesting that you've shifted more towards "being" from "doing", but that's not me, now.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Courage, what are you thoughts on art? Do you find it has intrinsic value? Not so much instrumental value, right? Art for art's sake, right?
Old 10-11-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Another thought on intrinsic value... if I feel I have intrinsic value, I've deemed myself of value, correct? I've assigned value to myself. Though we'd define intrinsic as something or some sort of quality arising from the thing itself, as a thing unto itself... inherent value. But for those of us who don't value ourselves so much... is it only a perspective difference? A subjective valuation? Or, are we mistaken in recognizing the value?

Could there be a fallacy of intrinsic value? Hmm.

Anyway... maybe it's that we humans choose to believe we have value because we are alive and breathing. It's rather amazing we are alive, right? If you know the odds of how life came about and all that, and if you read the science of how the elements got thrown together, the chance, the likelihood of it happening...

I tend to think that humans making art is our way of understanding intrinsic value and making sense of it all. Are we all that important? Why bother to give birth, painful birth, to the ideas inside our heads... in the form of art?

I dunno. I'm slightly optimistic.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hmmm. SJ --

For me, the value of art is in the individual's engagement with it. The work itself is only ancillary to that. Which is why you can perceive great beauty in a cheesy pop song. Some works have qualities that make them accessible to the engagement of many people over a long period of time; they become "classics." Some works of art are meaningful to me, because of my personal history with them, like a longterm conversation between me and the work. A work is only meaningful when and if dialogue with it happens.

Part of what makes a classic engaging to so many is the tradition and lore and associations that accumulate around it. After a while, I'd say it becomes a 3-way conversation: the audience, the work itself (which I can't say I ever really grasp, my interpretation is so distant from the intent and purposes and context that created it), and the tradition.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've said here before that I can't fathom the idea of inherent meaning. So for me, meaning must be made, not found.
That's valid - there's a whole school/philosophy based on that.

If you follow that down the rabbit hole none of us may exist at all

D
Old 10-11-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Ok... so before Vivian Maier's work was discovered, were the undeveloped film intrinsically valuable? Potentially valuable?

There must be engagement between the viewer and the art object, ok. I agree.

So we pay thousands of dollars for an art object which has ancillary value. I must engage with it for it to have real value.

Alright, so Courage, would you consider your engagement with the art object to be a moment of value where two things without any real, intrinsic value coalesce into some sort of transitory value then?
Old 10-12-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post

Alright, so Courage, would you consider your engagement with the art object to be a moment of value where two things without any real, intrinsic value coalesce into some sort of transitory value then?
Yup. I guess you could say it's a continual striving for meaning-making, not meanings that get made.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

*wipes sleep from eyes, tries to grasp all these super deep convos. fails. goes for moar coffee*
Old 10-12-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  
p***enger

LOL bblue -- it's not like I sit around thinking about this stuff -- this all probably gelled in me 30 years ago, and I haven't had a new thought since
Old 10-12-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

I've never even thought about this stuff.

couldn't find the "coffee" one - again - but ooooooh, there's a whole bunch of Fall emos. Now I have to go be silly everywhere.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
LOL bblue -- it's not like I sit around thinking about this stuff -- this all probably gelled in me 30 years ago, and I haven't had a new thought since
Which of those three statements is most painful, cou?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Which of those three statements is most painful, cou?
None of them is painful, actually. I'm recently pretty okay with the way I have and do experience reality. It's a little f***-ed up, but it's mine.

How are you folks?
Old 10-12-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Good. About to cook for the hordes. Today I have an empty mind and a full heart!
Old 10-12-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Hate to tell you, but you all just figments of my imaginations.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Apologies to all if this bothers. I think booze was actually keeping me going, with some drive, now there's nothing, nothing.
Wow, thank you for being so honest. I understand that sentiment too well.

I don't know a lot about Hitchens, but I'm a big fan of Sam Harris.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

How you doing Guinea Pig? You still down in the hole?

I think Sam Harris on Bill Maher show other week. They get in fight with Ben Affleck. Was like two intellectual giants arguing with nervous toddler, almost hard to watch.