Notices
View Poll Results: do you still go to a pub/bar ?
yes
42.15%
no
57.85%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Do you still go to pubs/bars

Old 12-10-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Do I still go to bars?

I rarely go.

The last time I was in a bar was a few years back to meet friends.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

No, unless there is a specific reason. Last night was one as my wife and I, along with a couple of neighbors, attended a fund raiser for a local non kill animal shelter. No biggie as hanging at a bar for no reason was never my thing. I was there for 4.5 hours with no hankering to have anything aside from my water. Same as the day before when I went to a fund raiser luncheon that had a 4 hour open bar in addition to waiter/waitress beverage service.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Do your best

I first posted this thread in September 2014 I believe it's now December 2016 & 237 people have voted on this poll with a slight majority at 59.07% saying no to the question & 40.93% saying yes to the question of do you still frequent public houses or bars

it shows to me that sobriety has many paths & neither is a wrong choice if your in full acceptance of your alcoholism my point being you don't have to go to a bar to get drunk it can happen anywhere so with that I want to say thank you to every poster & hopefully this shows how versatile sobriety is

I myself have never really liked bars pubs or clubs it's the men's toilets they stink most places smell a certain way & it's just not me but it might be you & that's my point were all different but also the same

Thank you and keep them coming
Old 12-19-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

my fav foods are in Moes Irish Pub.. I have maybe 9 or 10 fav Pubs.. bars...no .. the air is acid to breath most of the time... my Pubs have a fireplace.. and Ed and I snuggle and have food.. yep...
Old 01-01-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I answered Yes and have gone to many since I quit drinking. Not tempted to drink. As planned before I quit suddenly, I took a vacation to New Orleans and stayed on Bourbon St. I had virgin Moscow Mules and the bartenders went out of their way to accommodate me. My husband and friend drink, her husband does not, it was a fantastic trip. We meet friends for dinner on occasion at bars before dinner, no problem. With the work girls I like playing darts and pool, I was disappointed when they forgot to include me in the last girls weekend because they thought I wouldn't want to go to bar, I do. I am a good and reliable DD.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:55 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

The one place that I still frequent has the best wings you can imagine so I do a bi-monthly visit. There's no smoking and plenty of other options where to sit down so no need to sit at the bar. Nice place where you can be sitting next to a family so there's really not a problem.

Otherwise only if there's a some kind of meetup that I want to attend.

Drunk people are annoying. I'm glad I can't remember how I acted most of the time.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:05 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I do. I have no problem now because I am very comfortable with my sobriety. Temptation is always there, whether in a bar or not. I just have diet coke or sparkling water if in a pub. My partner drinks (it has never been a problem for him), so there is often a bottle of wine at home but I have never been tempted. I know how much I have to lose if I am.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:07 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

No but, I haven't been going to bars for a long time. In the end my drinking became a very solitary ritual. It was cheaper to just get drunk at home.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I did. But after my relapse I now realize how I was playing with fire. Not anymore and I am really glad football is over. Not sure how I'm ever going to watch football again.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
sober style

I don't, but I rarely did even when I drank. I drank alone. I used to like the idea of sports bars, but they never really lived up to their promise for me. I'd rather watch games alone too.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

I work in a bar, so it's kind of unavoidable
Old 01-03-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

The biggest fear I have regarding stopping drinking is the social life (I'm sure that's everyone's fear), specifically going to pubs and bars. For me, my social life is very binary, it's EITHER highly stressful crowded bars that would be difficult or unpleasant to be in without alcohol OR being shut in the house. A third social avenue would be incredibly welcome, be it salsa classes, games nights, or any other activity that doesn't involve that horrid unpleasant atmosphere.

Bars and pubs are not all awful without alcohol. I've been to meetup events in pubs and bars and not touched a drop without much pain. Depends on the place and the company.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:22 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Very rarely as my partner hardly drinks at all and I haven't for nearly two years now. What is interesting to me is I was in a pub last Saturday night after a meal with friends and it did me a lot of good to see people sitting around drinking. It reminded me that I'm not missing anything.

Didn't tend to go to pubs while I was drinking except to start a session (one or two) before going home to get smashed as it was cheaper and more secluded so less chance of being seen or getting into trouble.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I'm nearly 4 years dry. I will drink non-alcoholic beers and ciders. Alright, they've got 0.05% usually but I am comfortable with it and its never effected me in the slightest.

I've been working away from home for about 7 months, so going out for dinner every night sort of takes you to a pub. Again, no bother there. I find if you tell people up front you don't drink at all and give a brief reason like 'it took hold of my life and if I drank today I'd be unemployed and probably dead in a month' they usual work as a support network around you. And make a point of making sure you don't drink anything that is harmful to you.

That's just me, but I pride myself heavily on not drinking any more. And by the time the people you are with have had a few, I'm sure you'll have some stories of the messed up situations you got yourself in to. And they seem to respect you even more for it.