Notices
View Poll Results: do you still go to a pub/bar ?
yes
42.15%
no
57.85%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Do you still go to pubs/bars

Old 09-04-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
As recent as last year?

Not sure what you mean
Old 09-04-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Not sure what you mean
Last year? When you were still in your 20's?

(Someday's a guy can't get a compliment right. Sheesh)
Old 09-04-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I didn't enjoy bars when I was drinking so, nope, I still don't go. Like a few others have mentioned, I did all my drinking alone anyway.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Ah! I thank you for the compliment, Trach. But I'm in my late 30's now!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I answered no as I dont normally frequent bars and pubs anymore. Actually it might be an age thing as none of my friends normally frequent bars and pubs. Having said that, if I dont have a choice in the matter, ie, someone else has chosen a bar/pub as a meeting place, then I will go. It doesnt bother me anymore.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm another alone drinker; almost never went to bars while drinking. Too expensive, awkward pick ups from drunk guys, didn't feel safe.

Reading this string, I'm fascinated by how many of us were solitary, non-bar drinkers. At first, I thought it might be about alcoholism vs. general drunkenness - that alcoholics want to drink cheap and focus on the task.

But then, I made a leap, and wondered if the stats would be skewed the other way if we weren't an online community. Perhaps solitary alcoholics tend toward solitary recovery, and are more comfortable building support friendships over the internet vs. folks who are more in-person gregarious and thus really enjoy the in-person camaraderie of meetings.

I do both - meetings and SR, but I feel especially comfortable on-line.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
I'm another alone drinker; almost never went to bars while drinking. Too expensive, awkward pick ups from drunk guys, didn't feel safe.

Reading this string, I'm fascinated by how many of us were solitary, non-bar drinkers. At first, I thought it might be about alcoholism vs. general drunkenness - that alcoholics want to drink cheap and focus on the task.

But then, I made a leap, and wondered if the stats would be skewed the other way if we weren't an online community. Perhaps solitary alcoholics tend toward solitary recovery, and are more comfortable building support friendships over the internet vs. folks who are more in-person gregarious and thus really enjoy the in-person camaraderie of meetings.

I do both - meetings and SR, but I feel especially comfortable on-line.
I like this post made me think
Old 09-04-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yep

We pick Joints due to Food that sounds good at the time. Thai. Wings. Italian. Burgers. Food Specials. Virtually all serve Alcohol.

We ducked into a new Brewpub the other week, and I exercised my infrequent option of sitting with my Back to the Bar. Only because our Table was so close to it. The Rows of Bottles can be a PITA distraction; not unlike some thumping Car Stereo. Usually, this doesn't matter. I won't go to Bars to Drink; only to eat, or eat with Friends. I don't stay around for 'one more Round'. Bore_eeeeng. Same if I'm at Home Dinners with Friends. Da Wife knows I'm outta there. That's our compromise. We go, but I set our Timetable [in advance] and avoid awkward departures. That's just the way it is...

Friends we're with on any given Evening at Bars to eat likely will be drinking. America drinks. The smells and activity don't affect me because I flipped off that Mental Switch, so to speak. I'm not 'White Knuckling' or chancing anything. I'm hitting Sobriety every bit as hard as I hit Drinking over >4 Decades.

I played in Bar Bands, and perhaps ODed on Bar environments. They're just another potential fear that I've stared down and vanquished. I don't live in fear.

-----------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 09-04-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Never really went to the bars. I was a walking pub. At any given time i would have half a dozen shot bottles on me. Pockets, socks, long sleeves. I was my own good time. Looking back i cant believe it was me.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I answered no. I believe that if I have legitimate business there, I am fine to do it and leave but it's not a place I want to "hang out" per se. Maybe it will change but I really have no desire to be around people who are buzzed up at this point in my life.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't like bars but I've been in a few as a sober musician.

I didn't go back until my second year sober, and it never tempted me, but it did depress me seeing some of the folks in there.

I'm back into music now...whether it will end in me playing in bars again I'm not sure yet.

D
Old 09-04-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

My rule for general social situations is: I won't ever go to any event where drinking is the main or only purpose of the gathering. I'm ok with alcohol being around, in a peripheral sort of way, but I'm not ok with being at an event where the only goal is to drink and get drunk.

Generally, this rule keeps me out of bars most of the time. But, I might go to one if I'm with my husband (who doesn't drink around me) and we are just going there to eat dinner, watch a sporting event, or see a band, as opposed to going there to drink.

I won't go to anything like a happy hour, or a party or bar gathering where I know people are *only* going to be drinking, or a wine or beer tasting, or anything like that. If alcohol is center stage at a certain event, then it's no place for me to be, whether it's in a bar or not.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

nope. tried and failed a few times. there's just no point for me. I went to those places to get drunk. they're part of my past as far as I'm concerned. whenever a friend has a party at a bar I decline the invitation and take them out to dinner instead.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I do! If I feel uncomfortable I leave and usually do after a few hours when the conversation starts to go over my head! It also reinforces the fact I don't want to drink ever again! I always leave breathing a sigh of relief!
Old 09-05-2014, 01:39 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

If I had a reason to go then it would be no problem
But
The need hardly never comes up
MM
Old 09-05-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I go any place I want to go.
I'm a non drinker, no matter the physical location.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I haven't done bars since my 20's either so no to that.
pubs? I will but not right now.
Last time I got sober for over a year, I was fine to go sit on a patio and have iced tea while others drank. It was not a problem for me at all.
Maybe next summer.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I said "no". Although I have been back from time to time - mainly just little beach bar/restaurant things down on the Pacific Coast.

I find the numbers on this poll disturbing, to be honest. I'm over 2 years sober and am still really cautious. I know in early sobriety the default "social response" is to still try and hang out in bars. Seems like a bad idea for anyone just getting their legs under them. Just my .02. Grumble, grumble.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I drank a lot in bars/pubs/nightclubs. Being in one now has no more chance of me drinking than does any other place. Its not like something magical happens to me because I'm in a bar, its more about if I wanted to drink then a bar would be a challenge but since I don't want to drink it makes no difference where I am. I like the food and the atmosphere depending. No worries. Besides, I've been in some seriously seedy bars and strip clubs in my day, and I wasn't there for the food back then. Atmosphere yes, and that in itself was screwed up, lol.

To be honest though, I don't go as much as I use to. Like steakhouses and everyday home-cooking food places more nowadays. And pizza. And Italian. And Chinese. And... I really now could loose a few lbs with the having of such fare hahaha.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I'm triggered by my couch after a hard day at work. I don't frequent bars but I wouldn't have a problem going dancing or seeing a band. Those are things I really enjoy in the life experience and I refuse to allow my alcoholism to rob me of those simple pleasures.