Notices
View Poll Results: do you still go to a pub/bar ?
yes
42.15%
no
57.85%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Do you still go to pubs/bars

Old 11-22-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I go to a bar or pub occasionally, but not habitually. If I'm there to eat, I usually sit in the restaurant portion and ignore the bar. If I'm there for someone's retirement party or something, I get a club soda and some food, talk to the people I want to talk to, and don't hang around for too long. I find it incredibly boring to be in a place where drinking is the primary activity for the people I'm there with.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Sometimes I like to go to bar but just to remind myself why i don't drink.

smug I know
Old 11-25-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I had my share of pub crawling but by the end I mostly drank cheap stuff alone at home. I wouldn't bother going into one now because I honestly find most of them gross, even when I still drank I usually found most places to stink and seem dirty. Expensive as well and sometimes the taps would taste sourand the smoke oh my. There really is nothing I miss about that atmosphere.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I go to eat with friends, but I never drank in them often. I drank at home alone or with a friend
Old 11-25-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I continue to visit patron a pub as part of a weekly work outing. It's good to catch up with co-workers during the lunch break off-site where people can shoot the breeze a little more freely. Now it's not very hard, although it often gets extremely boring when the topic turns to the beer, which it invariably does every single time.

If there was another way to get the same quality time in, I would do it, but there really isn't. People have lives and there it's not really going to happen outside of work hours.

I found it completely intolerable at first. I had to keep my head down and read these forums on my phone every minute just to be inside a bar again. But over time I've gotten used to it. A part of me still hates it, but it is what it is. Right now I feel it's worth the trade-off for sociability because I feel very strong in my sobriety. Actually, now that everyone knows I don't drink, that knowledge helps keep me in a good place at the bar, and everyone has been supportive (in their own ways). If it ever made me feel like it was tempting my sobriety to be there I would stop going.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I find that, outside of the specific context I described above, bars are completely intolerable. The only time I find myself in pub's outside of a work setting is when there is an exception restaurant that happens to also be a bar. Of which there are quite a handful in my urban environment.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I only go for "happy hour" when a friend requests it. I order a Pepsi and stay an hour tops. I would NEVER go to one at 1 am like I used to to meet friends.

99.5% of my drinking was at home, alone.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I didn't answer the poll because I think its misleading. Had there been an "occasionally," or some such, I would have ticked it. I do if its an eating place and that food can't be gotten anywhere else. One place makes an out-of-this-world petite filet minon for instance. I will also go for a 12-Step call. I've never been tempted by even the smell of alcohol so guess I'm always wearing my spiritual armor... bars are a non-issue.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I don't actively avoid bars/pubs, but I have little reason to go to one. Home alone drinker, here.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:50 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

No. wouldn't be caught dead in one. Actually, I probably would be caught dead in one.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Do I still go to bars? No, not really. Once in a blue moon the wife wants to go out for a drink and we'll go.

I met a couple of college friends last Feb. in a bar when I returned to my hometown for a visit.

But that's about it.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Yes, I do, because many local bars have great food. If i have a valid reason for being there I won't let alcohol stop me. But if I know I am going to be around a lot of drinking I always have a plan.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:39 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Just answer yes or no
No
Old 01-13-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I see no point, the last time I went to one I found it to be a dreary and depressing vibe, it was a sunny day outside and they had all the blinds closed, it was weird. It was almost like they didn't want us to know how nice it was outside so they could keep us in the pub longer to drink. (it was mid afternoon-last day I drank)
Old 01-13-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks again guys
Old 01-13-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

If it is strictly a bar, no. If it is a bar or pub with good food, yes. But I have been sober a few years. I would have a bar or a pub very, very difficult for the first year so I avoided them.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Grateful

I have been a couple of times to see a band where I know the band members personally. A good friend who knows I am in recovery met me at the night club they were playing, I stayed for one set, said hello to the band and left. If I have a legitimate reason to go to a bar I have no problem being in one, but it's not a place I would go to hang out with friends on a regular basis. Like the old saying goes -- if you hang around a barber shop long enough you're liable to end up with a haircut. Same with hanging out in bars IMO.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:57 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I rarely drank in bars so they don't trigger me.

I stay away from other situations that trigger me to this day though.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:22 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

NO) I was never a bar/ pub person would drink mostly in the home and garage,, but I was never one to be sitting around I had to be doing something like wash the car or do some work in the garden,, I would do theses things and drink but recently when I have been trying to keep myself occupied it feels like a big task doing the things I used to do.

It’s a whole new world of experiences day to day it has made my glad to be sober because now I see how it was so hard to giving up and deal with things daily as when I was drinking I had made my habits part of my life and daily routine.

I never felt any achievement in my performance in work or my family life because I would reward myself by drinking which then made me feel bad and in more ways than a hangover.

So as asked (No) I don’t feel tempted when I go out to a bar but I do get good / bad memory’s of times I was drinking well thats right now at 15 weeks so I hope it stays that way,,
Old 01-19-2015, 11:43 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Pubs and bars is where I would do most of my drinking, so I think it will be a good idea to avoid them!

Also, I got poured a rum and coke on the weekend when I clearly asked for a coke! I took a sip before telling the barmaid she'd made a mistake.

After that I realised that human error is possible in those kind of environments, and you have to think twice about going to one of those establishments because the stuff is everywhere.

I realised if I go to a bar/pub as well, I can still end up going to sleep past midnight, and for me there is nothing better then waking up really early on the weekend days like 7-8am and having the whole day to do ****. I don't want to waste me evening in a bar, sober or not.