Notices
View Poll Results: do you still go to a pub/bar ?
yes
42.15%
no
57.85%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Do you still go to pubs/bars

Old 01-20-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

My answer is no, but with a caveat.

I still sit at the bar to eat in the pub of the club we belong to.

Once a year, maybe, I will go to a bar to hear a band or singer-songwriter I want to hear.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

There is a restaurant near my house that I like to go to because it has an outdoor deck that overlooks the water. It has a lively bar and there is always a crowd. I was an at home drinker, so bars don't bother me. I avoid them only because they are often noisy.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I am 40 days sober.

I still go to bars with my wife, who still drinks everyday. I don't mind it if we get something to eat, if they have Keno to play, if their is a sports game on or a band playing, etc.

But to just sit there while everyone else is getting lit up gets boring quick.

Friday my wife and I are invited to a Christmas party at a bar. Their will be many old friends there that I haven't seen since I got sober. They are all drinkers and I have always drank right along with them. This should be interesting.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Yes, but It all depends on the food and/or music.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

a pub or dive? no.....HELL no. However, if it's a restaurant with a bar then yes, but never near the bar.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I say no. I have not been in to a single place that serves alcohol, since August 21st.. The only exception being a wedding with a cash bar about a month in. I haven't even been out to eat, I don't think! And since I live in PA, I have not walked in to a single store that sells alcohol.

I would though, go to a restaurant that has a bar. I just haven't thus far. I would just be certain that it was non-smoking, that means they probably have a passable menu, otherwise it's just a bar that serves some apps. The bar I live across the street from supposedly has good fish sandwiches, but it's a smoking establishment, which to me means heavy drinkers reside.

So it's not about the place serving alcohol, it's whether the alcohol or the food is the main attraction.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Yes, but only for important reasons - a party for someone, a business meet up, etc., special rare events that I'm prepared for. Mostly, now, because I don't enjoy being around drunk and getting-drunk people, they annoy me and I'd rather spend my time elsewhere.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Been a very long time since I did any drinking in bars but, even back then, I didn't care for the environment. Too noisy, too smoky, too expensive! So, at this point, I don't foresee ever being in a circumstance that would put me in a bar again, but if it did happen, I imagine I'd feel much the same about it now as I did then.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Only when I have a non-drinking reason to be there.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
Only when I have a non-drinking reason to be there.
yup, its all about my motives.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Rarely but I am retired and a bit reclusive. When I am in a bar, though, I feel no urge to drink; I'm there for food and conversation. I don't know how things would be if I were still working though.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Just answer yes or no
Noooooo......there is no way I could go in a bar and not drink it is a place that is associated with drinking and being out of control drunk!!! (For me). I know I just couldn't do it. Soooo ...I won't put myself in that situation.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
I am 40 days sober.

I still go to bars with my wife, who still drinks everyday. I don't mind it if we get something to eat, if they have Keno to play, if their is a sports game on or a band playing, etc.

But to just sit there while everyone else is getting lit up gets boring quick.

Friday my wife and I are invited to a Christmas party at a bar. Their will be many old friends there that I haven't seen since I got sober. They are all drinkers and I have always drank right along with them. This should be interesting.
Doug,
For me that would be tough I wouldn't want to be tempted especially so early in my sobriety.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Nope. I find them boring. And I find being around a bunch of drunk people to be annoying. I'd rather go for a walk, to a museum, out to eat, to a concert or be at home reading. If I had a solid reason for going, and I felt prepared, then I would go. I've been to weddings and concerts where booze has been served and had no issues. I ate at the bar of a jam packed restaurant once in sobriety - but I don't make a habit of that.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Do your best

I just want to apologise for the sub header which reads 'just answer yes or no' that sounded terribly rude (SR is the first & only forum I've ever used & I was new here)

Answer however you like or want

SW
Old 12-05-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Answer however you like or want
SW
Depends . . .

. . . but never alone.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:32 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I said yes but only for a meal,and I haven't in the 3 weeks I've been sober this time round.
It's a good question actually as obviously the things I was doing before did not KEEP me sober (as i have been a serial relapser) so i may have to address each and every behaviour!!! Maybe no more pub meals!
Old 12-08-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Basically never
Old 12-08-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I answered no because I choose not to be in that environment. However, I will go if I have a good reason for being there.

The first time was a weird experience for me--observing without meaning to how others act around alcohol.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:30 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
G-Woman

If I have a reason to go, then I don't have a problem with it. Bars and pubs weren't really my go-to for drinking anyway, so it's not a trigger for me. Far too public and expensive, when I could hide and drink all I want in my own place.

Dec 30 - UFC's Ronda Rousey returns. Will definitely be in some kind of sports bar for that event!