Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Some questions about AA from those who have been...

Notices

Some questions about AA from those who have been...

Old 07-31-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Are there different versions of the Big Book I know there are different editions but is there a lot of difference between them. I'm in the UK and went to a meeting. The book they were using had a pink cover and the layout seemed different from what is on the AA website. And step one was covered in chapter one on page 21.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainWhip View Post

And step one was covered in chapter one on page 21.

page 21 from the Big Book

him physically and mentally. It may cause him to die a few years before his time. If a sufficiently strong reason - ill health, falling in love, change of environment, or the warning of a doctor - becomes operative, this man can also stop or moderate, although he may find it difficult and troublesome and may even need medical attention.
But what about the real alcoholic? He may start off as a moderate drinker; he may or may not become a continuous hard drinker; but at some stage of his drinking career he begins to lose all control of his liquor consumption, once he starts to drink.
Here is the fellow who has been puzzling you, especially in his lack of control. He does absurd, incredible, tragic things while drinking. He is a real Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.note He is seldom mildly intoxicated. He is always more or less insanely drunk. His disposition while drinking resembles his normal nature but little. He may be one of the finest fellows in the world. Yet let him drink for a day, and he frequently becomes disgustingly, and even dangerously anti-social. He has a positive genius for getting tight at exactly the wrong moment, particularly when some important decision must be made or engagement kept. He is often perfectly sensible and well balanced concerning everything except liquor, but in that respect he is incredibly dishonest and selfish. He often possesses special abilities, skills, and aptitudes, and has a promising career ahead of him. He uses his gifts to build up a bright outlook for his family and himself, and then pulls the structure down on his head by a senseless series of sprees. He is the fellow who goes to bed so intoxicated he ought to sleep the clock around. Yet early next

Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

There are secular meeting based groups like SMART Recovery LifeRing and a few others but they're not as widely available as AA.

There's also Rational Recovery but that has no meetings at all.

Here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com (Recovery Programs and Resources Information)

I also recommend, if you haven't already that you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non Higher Power approach.
It has taken me a few tries to get this, but I use a combination of methods and THAT is what works for me. Some people are fine with the meds. . .not for me. AA was soooo hard for me at first, until I found the right group. I do NOT agree with all that AA stands for. . . but, it keeps me from drinking. I enjoy listening. Nobody rams anything down anyone's throat, nobody has ever thrown a big book at me. . . and we even have a lady in our group who is still drinking. We just keep on loving her and encouraging her. I really don't care what science says at this point (and, yes, I've read a ton of stuff trying to figure all this out, too) What I care about is that I do not drink. Everyone has to develop A program or THE program that works for them. Personally, I like Rational Recovery, but I need a group. RR doesn't have a group. SO, I go to AA with like minded people. Yeah, the oil and water choice of programs. . . and it works for me. There really is no science in being willing to do whatever it takes to not drink. And I'm willing to do whatever I have to.

Great thread, BTW.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by CaptainWhip View Post
Are there different versions of the Big Book I know there are different editions but is there a lot of difference between them.
Nope. Just one "Alcoholics Anonymous" (the Big Book) originally published in 1939. It's now in it's 4th edition but the only difference is outside pgs. 1-164, the first edition. Forewords for different editions have been added and the stories after pg. 164 change with each edition.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Altoids View Post
It has taken me a few tries to get this, but I use a combination of methods and THAT is what works for me.
Ditto for me. AA, SR & UU is my current combo package.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
Nope. Just one "Alcoholics Anonymous" (the Big Book) originally published in 1939. It's now in it's 4th edition but the only difference is outside pgs. 1-164, the first edition. Forewords for different editions have been added and the stories after pg. 164 change with each edition.
I think the book they were reading from may have been TWELVE STEPS and TWELVE TRADITIONS.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Ah, could be. 12&12 came along after. Further elaboration on steps and traditions for AA groups.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

dSober. . . I forgot to include SR. Hee Hee. Daily accountability. My AA meetings are part of the UU group, too. Sounds like we found similar paths.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I am agnostic, and rather scientific.

I've only attended a couple of meetings. Some had introductions, some didn't. When it went around the room, with people introducing themselves...."......and I'm an alcoholic"..... I just said "My name is........." Nobody batted an eyelid.

Nobody bible thumped, nobody preached, some people talked about God, but specifically with regards to themselves, and nobody else. They were extremely welcoming, and didn't even talk to me until I walked up and made it clear I was open to a discussion.

I didn't continue at the time, I wasn't ready. Still haven't gone back, but the stories I heard certainly told me it worked for some people, in fact saved lives. I don't have to understand exactly how gravity works (nobody does BTW) to know if I jump off a building it isn't going to end well.

In conclusion, walking into that first time was terrifying, for about 30 seconds. Think of it as a scientific endeavor. Use the scientific method. Come up with a hypothesis regarding your thoughts on the fist meeting, attend (test your hypothesis), and draw a conclusion. If it is not exactly like you thought, rethink your hypothesis, and retest.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Just thought I'd post an update since I attended my first SMART recovery meeting tonight. Not everyone has access to in person meetings for both AA and alternatives so I am admittedly lucky.

AA and SMART (rational recovery approach) are VERY different in their meeting structures. Honestly I found I liked both AA and SMART for different reasons and I will likely join the crowd of people that attend both. SMART for me was much like group therapy sessions with no focus on higher powers but jumped straight into examining motivations for not drinking, keeping that motivation, ways to deal with urge surfing. No doubt if I attended an AA meeting that is a step meeting I'd be seeing that aspect of working the steps. That said no approach is totally fool proof. There were people there that had stopped attending meetings of any type that were finding themselves in relapse mode and realized that they NEEDED in person support to keep their sobriety in check. As others have said though, if you can do it on your own that is great. If you can't, well it all is going to depend on how much you really want it. I actually really appreciated the instant digging into what our motivations are and how to keep them. There were a few people tonight that openly admitted that they go to both AA and SMART for different reasons and I appreciated the open mindedness very much. Anyhoo that is my two cents on my observations from newly attending both types of meetings.

Good luck. Heck part of my toolset is admittedly looking at the friends and family section of this forum and the ever present reminders there of what unchecked addictions can do to loved ones. Keeps me not wanting a relapse. SR, AA, SMART... think that is my own toolset.

Peace:-)
Old 07-31-2014, 10:33 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Ryno032709

Good for you. Im glad to hear you're continuing to keep an open mind and sobriety is top priority. The more info you can get on how to stay sober the better... What ever works, regardless of the program or suggestions.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

AA Agnostica was helpful when I was practicing a secular AA 12 steps. Maybe give that a peek.

Eventually AVRT, CBT, DBT and likewise lead me to dissociate from alcohol/addiction into sobriety without a struggle.

I hope the best for you jsprplc2006.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Sounds like we found similar paths.
I like it. Sounds like you do too.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:57 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cookiesncream View Post
all is going to depend on how much you really want it
Yep, that was the bottom line for me. When I really wanted it bad enough, and was ready and willing to do the work to get it, I finally got it. I had to thoroughly follow the path.

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path." pg. 58
Old 08-01-2014, 02:07 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ryno03272009 View Post
open mind and sobriety is top priority.
"God as we understood Him." pg. 59

Doesn't get much more open than that.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

"However, I'm a very scientific minded person, and I disagree with many aspects of how "12 step programs" are structured, and the only thing that will change my mind about these programs is cold, hard evidence."

theres plaques on the wall at the local 12 step club of people with over a year of sobriety. over 600 years and about 30 plaques.
look for a roundup happening by you. be there for the sobriety countdown.
check out founder day in akron.Upwards of 10,000 people from around the world are in town on their annual pilgrimage to celebrate the beginning of Alcoholics Anonymous, a movement that has helped millions recover from addiction.

or the international convention.More than 50,000 people are expected to participate in the 75th anniversary International Convention of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 08-01-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=tomsteve;4813840or the international convention.More than 50,000 people are expected to participate in the 75th anniversary International Convention of Alcoholics Anonymous[/QUOTE]

Alcoholics Anonymous : Alcoholics Anonymous Marks 75th Anniversary with International Convention in San Antonio

Did we miss it or is there another one to celebrate the BB?
Old 08-01-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed stage 3 metastatic melanoma in 2006( 13 months onto recovery). it went stage 4 in 2008. I went through a craplaod for 3 1/3 years fightin it.
I was in 2 weeks ago for a Ct scan and MRI. speaking with my oncologist afterwards,reviewing the results, he said to me,"you are one of my 1% ers.'"that being, scientific evidence shows 1% of his patients survive as long as I have after being diagnosed where I was and have gone through what I have.
i have a choice. i can dwell on the **% that don't survive or continue being 1%.
i will choose to be 1%.
and plan on seeing him in another 8 years.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

dSober. . . I forgot to include SR. Hee Hee. Daily accountability. My AA meetings are part of the UU group, too. Sounds like we found similar paths.
I don't think I mentioned what got me pointed to UU. My favorite meeting, that I've been going to off and on for years, is a Friday night BB mtg. I always noticed the sign out in front said "The Unitarian Society" but I never paid much attention to it. Recently, someone here at SR pointed me to UU based on some of the stuff pouring out of my fingers, lol. When I looked into it, it turns out the place I've been going to all these years is UU. It also turns out that the guy who runs the AA mtg., my sponsor for a time, is the president of the UU congregation that meets there Sunday mornings. Need I say more?
Old 08-01-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i have a choice. i can dwell on the **% that don't survive or continue being 1%.
i will choose to be 1%.
I like your attitude!

P.S. I think I'll make sure I make my first screening appointment, which I arranged just yesterday, on 8/29.