Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Some questions about AA from those who have been...

Notices

Some questions about AA from those who have been...

Old 08-07-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattM316 View Post
What's the difference between religion and spirituality tho?
A broad, inclusive definition is: spirituality is that which gives meaning to one's life and draws one to transcend oneself. Spirituality is a broader concept than religion, although that is one expression of spirituality. Other expressions include prayer, meditation, interactions with others or nature, and relationship with God or a higher power.” ( Burkhardt, M. "Spirituality: An Analysis of The Concept," Holistic Nursing Practice, May 1989:60-77)

SPIRITUALITY DEFINED
Old 08-07-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eddiebuckle View Post
A broad, inclusive definition is: spirituality is that which gives meaning to one's life and draws one to transcend oneself. Spirituality is a broader concept than religion, although that is one expression of spirituality. Other expressions include prayer, meditation, interactions with others or nature, and relationship with God or a higher power.” ( Burkhardt, M. "Spirituality: An Analysis of The Concept," Holistic Nursing Practice, May 1989:60-77)

SPIRITUALITY DEFINED
Thank you. This has never been more clearly expressed here.

Religion is part of spirituality, so of course anything religious will be spiritual. But there are other parts of spirituality.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eddiebuckle View Post

SPIRITUALITY DEFINED

Very nice
Old 08-07-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I got in a lot of trouble just asking questions about such things.
Yeah, Galileo too. Powers that be tend to want to stay that way. Conservation of political momentum.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:24 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
I think that a lot of people seem to think that a "god of your understanding" is not really a god and so AA is not religious.

Maybe it is my 12 years of Catholic schooling, but they always taught us that all of us have a god of our own understanding. And that the god each of us know is personal.

So I do not see how a higher power of my own choosing is not religious.

But I think other people raised differently identify religion as being about the church building and the clergy and official dogma. So they see AA as a non-religious organization.

When I first learned of the 4th and 5th steps in AA they seems to me to be exactly the same as confession.

I remember in 3rd or 4th grade being told in school to write down my sins and then telling them to a priest in the confessional.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SmilingLight View Post

The problem of alcoholism is a Gordian knot, daunting in its complexity. The way to solve it is with the sword, not by trying to untangle it. You just don't drink. Period. For a lot of people, that sword is AA. For others, it's not.
Nice point.

Unfortunately for the OP, he seems to have let his scientific dogma deter him from approaching AA with an open mind. You can't know if it will work until you've tried it. The worst thing that can happen is that you spend some time in church basements drinking bad coffee and some uncomfortable moments appealing to a higher power that you don't believe in. So why not give it a try?
Yeah, for me AA is still the best deal in town and you can't beat the price.

I would strongly recommend the OP visit a lot of different meetings and find one which are a good fit.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
When I first learned of the 4th and 5th steps in AA they seems to me to be exactly the same as confession.

I remember in 3rd or 4th grade being told in school to write down my sins and then telling them to a priest in the confessional.
They are. Cleansing the soul is one of the good things about Catholicism IMHO. Difference is you only do steps 4 & 5 once, follow up with 8 & 9 and then repeat 10-12.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
They are. Cleansing the soul is one of the good things about Catholicism IMHO. Difference is you only do steps 4 & 5 once.
Yes, I did find it cleansing and have gone to confession a number of times.

Personally, I feel more comfortable sharing with a priest than another member.

Also there's a new member who might ask me to sponsor him. If he does I will explain I do not feel comfortable listening to a 5th step.

If he wants I can recommend someone for this or maybe he can find a step sponsor.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

It's just a constant practice of mindfulness that I have this physical condition that makes alcohol especially bad for me.

But that's not for everyone.

The one thing we all have in common is that drinking will kill us eventually, and not drinking is the only "cure" for our disease.
Well said.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

A hit-and-run thread on an important topic -- too bad. I was going to chime in to try and help the OP but I think he/she helped me more by pointing out that "science" can be just as dogmatic as religion.
Yep.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

I love the Cow quote dive.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

just remember aa folks are human and will make mistakes

if you get a bully leader switch to another meeting
Old 08-15-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Caboblanco,