Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Some questions about AA from those who have been...

Notices

Some questions about AA from those who have been...

Old 07-30-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hahha! 'Heaps' is relative, when you live in somewhere like Australia - where stuff takes a while to catch up with the zeitgeist :-)
Old 07-30-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bemyself View Post
I should have noted that there are actually heaps of AA meetings for Atheists, Agnostics, Freethinkers in the USA and some in Canada, as well as a few now in the UK, France, etc. And growing. There is also an upcoming first Convention in early November to be held in Santa Monica, CA.

I think Dee wouldn't mind if I post the Agnostica AA website, as it's not-for-profit and part of AA? AA Agnostica

Tradition Six "An A.A. group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the A.A. name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property, and prestige divert us from our primary purpose."

Taking the AA name, putting Agnostica in front of it and changing the Alcoholics Anonymous 12 Steps and 12 Traditions to suit a secular movement, has nothing to do with Alcoholics Anonymous and is a break in every single AA Tradition.

I think its great if what they want to do is start a new recovery movement that is secular and has its own recovery books written by PhD's, but that is certainly not a part of AA and never will be.

AA Preamble:

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for AA membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. AA is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that's a whole other thread Patriciae
As links go, I'm calling it ok under our rules

moving on...
D
Old 07-30-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainWhip View Post
... I'm going to try to go to as many different locations as I can and stay for as long as I can to get a vibe of the place
Great idea!!

Best of Luck!
Old 07-30-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

moving on...
D
I think its very confusing for anyone who might be lead to believe that, that secular movement is part of Alcoholics Anonymous, when it isn't at all.

I believe it ought to be posted under the Secular Section here.... but I will respect your call Dee and move on
Old 07-30-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

moving on...
D
good on you dee

aa does have secular meetings listed in there were to find so they recognize them and accept them as part of aa
Old 07-30-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jason2 View Post

I used to go, but you're right. I haven't seen it really help anyone.
I have met hundreds who got sober in AA

have to wonder on this side -- how many times did you go ??

MM
Old 07-30-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
Sounds to me like both of you (Myself & Captain) are well on your way to much better lives.

Just a suggestion but perhaps we should just pick it back up from here.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
aa does have secular meetings
Yep. They have meetings for women, gay people, and minorities. And now they are finally making room for the last drunks in the closet - atheists!
Old 07-30-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gardendiva View Post
Yep. They have meetings for women, gay people, and minorities. And now they are finally making room for the last drunks in the closet - atheists!
hallelujah to that brother and amen : )
Old 07-30-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hey Jsprplc

If you're still reading this I commend you Assuming that you have a problem with alcohol which is why you're posting on this site, my query is what is causing you to drink ? Is it a rational, logical decision that makes you drink or is it an emotional issue ? I am not being facetious rather I believe that you need to firstly look at what are the causes of your drinking habits.

If you're drinking habits are as a result of emotional issues then the solution needs to be similar, i.e., seeking a rational based solution for an emotional problem is unlikely to be successful.

Using data analysis, evidence, white papers, etc is really not useful for assessing AA from my viewpoint as I see it as a spiritual program which is designed to establish coping mechanisms for dealing with emotional distress. Assessing the effectiveness of AA from that viewpoint is like assessing say, the optimisation of happiness from hugging a dog.

At the end of the day, look within yourself and see the causes. Try AA with an open mind and determine whether it works for you.

All the best !
Old 07-30-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jsprplc2006 View Post
I like the idea of having a group of people with common experiences I can talk to about alcohol and recovery, and in my area AA is the only thing that seems to provide that easily.

What's the environment like at these meetings? Are members receptive to non-traditional (for AA) viewpoints, or do they just pound the Big Book like a bible and insist that whoever disagrees with the 12 steps is "in denial"?
I am far from an expert and apologize because I'm jumping on this thread rather late in the game and others have likely already given this suggestion. There are many alternatives to AA which others have mentioned. The reality is though that as far as shear numbers of in person meetings AA has far more than other groups. I am struggling with AA not so much for the religious aspect but for other reasons. I'm fortunate to live in a major metropolitan area and plan on attending an "in person SMART" meeting later this week. I will say that if you want to try and get a vibe on that front try attending an AA online meeting and try one of the SMART recovery online meetings. See which resonates with you more. I'm sure there are other groups with similar options as well. No online meetings do not give the same fellowship and seeing and talking to people but as far as doctrine I think you'll be able to test the proverbial waters in advance.

My own experience with AA is that you will hear a lot of doctrine in the meetings but the people are certainly welcome and friendly. I have found I prefer large meetings that are listed as "open discussion" so I can be a fly on the wall so to speak. I've always walked away with something though and feel like I gained something from each one I've attended.

I admit though that having attended about five different AA meetings the doctrine bit isn't totally working for me. If this SMART meeting pans out (I've checked out the online meetings and they resonate with me more on the doctrine stuff) that will likely be where I find my "home" for face to face meetings. I don't mean to get or start a debate on that one. My better half has jumped into Al Anon and loves it. I'm feeling personally challenged by the powerlessness aspect of AA but that is me. I began abusing alcohol after a series of medical events that I truly had and have no control over to self medicate. As far as dealing with self medicating or reaching out to other people, and finding healthier other ways to deal with those stresses, well for me an alternative to AA is going to be better for me because of my individual circumstances.

Again I apologize for likely doing a lot of repeating of what other people have said. Check out a bunch of options. Getting a support system in place for if/when you are triggered to use is very helpful.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Peace:-)
Old 07-30-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I'm sober 23 years thanks to AA....I wouldn't be alive without it. There's a saying: AA isn't for people who need it, it's for people who want it. I suggest giving it 90 days, following suggestions, getting a sponsor and then deciding if it's for you.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cookiesncream View Post
I am far from an expert and apologize because I'm jumping on this thread rather late in the game and others have likely already given this suggestion. There are many alternatives to AA which others have mentioned. The reality is though that as far as shear numbers of in person meetings AA has far more than other groups. I am struggling with AA not so much for the religious aspect but for other reasons. I'm fortunate to live in a major metropolitan area and plan on attending an "in person SMART" meeting later this week. I will say that if you want to try and get a vibe on that front try attending an AA online meeting and try one of the SMART recovery online meetings. See which resonates with you more. I'm sure there are other groups with similar options as well. No online meetings do not give the same fellowship and seeing and talking to people but as far as doctrine I think you'll be able to test the proverbial waters in advance.

My own experience with AA is that you will hear a lot of doctrine in the meetings but the people are certainly welcome and friendly. I have found I prefer large meetings that are listed as "open discussion" so I can be a fly on the wall so to speak. I've always walked away with something though and feel like I gained something from each one I've attended.

I admit though that having attended about five different AA meetings the doctrine bit isn't totally working for me. If this SMART meeting pans out (I've checked out the online meetings and they resonate with me more on the doctrine stuff) that will likely be where I find my "home" for face to face meetings. I don't mean to get or start a debate on that one. My better half has jumped into Al Anon and loves it. I'm feeling personally challenged by the powerlessness aspect of AA but that is me. I began abusing alcohol after a series of medical events that I truly had and have no control over to self medicate. As far as dealing with self medicating or reaching out to other people, and finding healthier other ways to deal with those stresses, well for me an alternative to AA is going to be better for me because of my individual circumstances.

Again I apologize for likely doing a lot of repeating of what other people have said. Check out a bunch of options. Getting a support system in place for if/when you are triggered to use is very helpful.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Peace:-)
the only thing i disagree with you about is your sugestion to try an online aa meeting
there nothing like a real face to face meeting i have tried them and many different ones and for me there just not the same at all i know they offer it up as some sort of help for people who might not be able to get out etc but honestly there not the same as face to face
plus the idea about going out to a meeting is in itself meant to break that isolation that many people end up doing to themselves
to get out of the house and out amonst real people is one of the first freedoms many find and like about going to aa
Old 07-31-2014, 02:26 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
At the end of the day, look within yourself
It was the end of my days and that's exactly what I did:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...where-god.html
Old 07-31-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cookiesncream View Post
I am struggling with AA not so much for the religious aspect but for other reasons
It might be helpful to others here if you share what those are. Perhaps some are struggling with the same things.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Look, go or don't go but don't ask us to spin our wheels trying to convince you one way or the other.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

To be fair KeyHeart the last time the OP posted was page two of this thread

D
Old 07-31-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

If you live in an urban or even suburban area you probably have tons of options as far as AA goes..You might even have secular meetings in the area. Try different meetings as they can vary greatly..I live in the boonies so my choices are limited for live meetings..unless i want to drive about an hour or so...I know from where used to live

some meetings were "fun" meetings and some meetings were "serious" meetings with varying demographics...don't get your impression just from one meeting whether it's AA or something else...different meetings have different levels of aceptance of what can be discussed...just try going to a men's only meeting and you will see that right away..but just do your research to see what is available...good luck
Old 07-31-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jsprplc2006 View Post
I like the idea of having a group of people with common experiences I can talk to about alcohol and recovery, and in my area AA is the only thing that seems to provide that easily.

However, I'm a very scientific minded person, and I disagree with many aspects of how "12 step programs" are structured, and the only thing that will change my mind about these programs is cold, hard evidence. However, I know that many people (not just at AA) think that anecdotes - or the fact that AA has helped *some* people - represent evidence, which isn't acceptable to me, or to science.

What's the environment like at these meetings? Are members receptive to non-traditional (for AA) viewpoints, or do they just pound the Big Book like a bible and insist that whoever disagrees with the 12 steps is "in denial"?
" If you are not convinced on these vital issues, you ought to re-read the book to this point or else throw it away!"

Chapter Five, Alcoholics Anonymous Original Manuscript.

The cold hard evidence can be found at any AA meeting through those sharing their experience, strength, and hope. I found that when I wanted to quit drinking bad enough, I was willing to do what the Big Book suggested I do. The Twelve Steps were meaningless until I began to work them. No one forced me or held a gun to my head. I just knew life on my terms was killing me