Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Some questions about AA from those who have been...

Notices

Some questions about AA from those who have been...

Old 07-29-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd also like to remind folks about rule 4 when sharing their opinions, or in how they choose to recount their experience

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.
Dee
SR
Old 07-29-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by jsprplc2006 View Post
However, I'm a very scientific minded person, and I disagree with many aspects of how "12 step programs" are structured, and the only thing that will change my mind about these programs is cold, hard evidence.
First of all, getting sober the AA way is a "Spiritual" experience. If you need "cold, hard evidence" of that, the Universe might not be around long enough for that to happen.

Second, we call it an "experience", because it is something one has to live through first hand, so to speak. Talking about it does not do it justice.

Third, you have to try it first before you will really know if it is something that will help you in particular. Other peoples experience is not the same as first hand experience.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

the only thing that will change my mind about these programs is cold, hard evidence.
This article is available free online:

"...Neuroscientists have begun to recognize that some of the most important brain systems impaired in addiction are those in the prefrontal cortex that regulate social cognition, self-monitoring, moral behaviour and other processes that the AA-type approach seems to target...."

4 March 2009; Neuroscience: "Rethinking rehab", Jim Schnabel, Nature 458.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I like the idea of having a group of people with common experiences I can talk to about alcohol and recovery, and in my area AA is the only thing that seems to provide that easily.

However, I'm a very scientific minded person, and I disagree with many aspects of how "12 step programs" are structured, and the only thing that will change my mind about these programs is cold, hard evidence. However, I know that many people (not just at AA) think that anecdotes - or the fact that AA has helped *some* people - represent evidence, which isn't acceptable to me, or to science.

What's the environment like at these meetings? Are members receptive to non-traditional (for AA) viewpoints, or do they just pound the Big Book like a bible and insist that whoever disagrees with the 12 steps is "in denial"?

All depends on the meetings you attend. In my experience most meetings/members aren't too ridge in their interpretation of the BB or how you work your program.

However, there is a cult like following in AA which I try and avoid.
http://www.thefix.com/content/cult-a...s2092?page=all
Old 07-29-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

it really doesn't sound like AA is the way to go for you, from what you say.
you'd only be pissed off continuously, and even if you kept your mouth shut about your disagreements and requests for cold hard evidence (cold and hard actually doesn't sound helpful for anything, now that i think of it...funny, never thought of that before), you'd likely spend your time in inner argument, disproving logically what's being said .
i got sober years ago by joining a secular forum and attending one weekly secular meeting. i couldn't, at that time, have set foot in AA without utter disdain. knowing myself to be superior. not as superstitious or comfort-of-belief-in-pie-in-the-sky-Santa-needing as all those poor idiots who....

yeah, ugly. but that's how i was back then.

if you're anything like that, do yourself and everyone else there a favour and stay away.

this is a genuine post, and not in any way intended as sarcasm or to put you and your need for evidence and proof down at all. i needed those at the beginning, too. everything else seemed like something unbelievable i'd be forced to "swallow" just to get along. and i most certainly wasn't powerless, no way no how no never. couldn't be.

bears saying, though, that NOT going to AA is no reason NOT to get and stay sober.
though yes, company of others who know and understand is huge.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

What's more important, analyzing cold hard evidence about various recovery programs or getting and staying sober?

I don't use AA, but I also don't limit my tools for maintaining sobriety to statistically successful ones, simply because if it works for me I consider it 100% successful, even if it doesn't work for anyone else in the world.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
it really doesn't sound like AA is the way to go for you, from what you say.
you'd only be pissed off continuously, and even if you kept your mouth shut about your disagreements and requests for cold hard evidence (cold and hard actually doesn't sound helpful for anything...
I agree it isn't wise/healthy to take a combative stance in meetings against what you might disagree or deem fantasy. But if you are honest and share what you need to say in a respectful manner you should feel welcome wherever you go.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Indeed, but I'd rather know what it's like at one of those places before I go there myself.

I'd like to point out that many people in this thread claimed anecdotes as evidence. There are thousands of alien abduction anecdotes too; the people who tell them are convinced, but no one takes them seriously.

As for the other question - the one demonstrating a poor understanding of how science works - this would involve a properly conducted scientific study. A large number of subjects - a hundred at least, the more the merrier - would be followed for a particular time interval, perhaps a year, and given a specific treatment or program or a particular combination of them (such as medical management, CBT, AA attendance, pharmaceutical therapy - such as naltrexone, addictions counselling, a stay in a recovery centre, etc.).

Another large cohort would be given one of the above treatments combined something that could generate a placebo (it would not be ethical to offer only placebo, and this research would not be permissible).

The remaining people who *freely* refused any form of treatment and wished to deal with the problem themselves would be the final cohort, this being the only ethical way to form a "no treatment given" group.

The data collected regarding total days sober, sobriety intervals, or complete abstinence would then be statistically analyzed for significance, and the researchers would then interpret these numbers to make a statement regarding which methods worked better than others, what placebo effects were involved in forming the data, and whether certain methods were actually no better than doing nothing at all.

These studies HAVE been done, and we have some hard facts. For example it has been well demonstrated that naltrexone reduces relapse severity, as well as increasing the chances of achieving long-term sobriety. (Latt NC, Jurd S, Houseman J, Wutzke SE (June 2002). "Naltrexone in alcohol dependence: a randomised controlled trial of effectiveness in a standard clinical setting". Med J Aust 176 (11): 530–4. PMID 12064984.)

AA is difficult to analyze properly because it is decentralized, doesn't keep records, and has attempted to report that regular attendance, rather than abstinence or reduced drinking, demonstrates success. However, an extensive analysis was recently done with the available information, and found that of eight studies done, "No experimental studies unequivocally demonstrated the effectiveness of AA or (Twelve Step Facilitation) approaches for reducing alcohol dependence or problems." (Ferri M, Amato L, Davoli M. Alcoholics Anonymous and other 12-step programmes for alcohol dependence. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2006, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD005032. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD005032.pub2)

If there are any studies from the past 8 years demonstrating otherwise which I don't know about, please tell me. Until then, I request that everyone touting AA as a good solution to problem drinking acknowledge that it is a matter of opinion, and a matter of opinion ONLY. If you want to make stronger statements, you need evidence. The sort of which is cited above.
my own life story is all the everdence you need my friend to know aa works and can help anyone who wants it
good luck to you and i hope you do give aa a try as it really might change the way you think feel and react to things you dont like, ask me to prove it and i will give you my story simple what more proof do you need other than that ?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
This article is available free online:

"...Neuroscientists have begun to recognize that some of the most important brain systems impaired in addiction are those in the prefrontal cortex that regulate social cognition, self-monitoring, moral behaviour and other processes that the AA-type approach seems to target...."

4 March 2009; Neuroscience: "Rethinking rehab", Jim Schnabel, Nature 458.
An interesting read, although I should add that that all the statements made about AA in this article are not from peer-reviewed scientific literature (as all studies cited by the interviewer don't mention AA), but rather a couple researchers (Thomas McLellan and Michael McCollough) simply speculating about how some demonstrated links (cited in the article) between drug abuse and the prefrontal cortex might come to bear on how AA could work, if it even does.

I'm also curious about McLellan's quote regarding the "excellent documentation that...", because he doesn't seem to have cited this documentation in any of his personal work.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
my own life story is all the everdence you need my friend to know aa works and can help anyone who wants it
good luck to you and i hope you do give aa a try as it really might change the way you think feel and react to things you dont like, ask me to prove it and i will give you my story simple what more proof do you need other than that ?
Listen. A "life story" is not "evidence". Ever. It's an anecdote, something scientists very explicitly state is at the absolute bottom of the totem pole when it comes to proving anything.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

SMART is based upon scientific evidence. Perhaps try one of their meetings if you are lucky enough to live in an area that has them. They also have online meetings.

AA is what it is. Even though I don't subscribe to its program, I found just being around other sober people who have the same affliction helpful. Like others have said maybe go to a meeting and see if you find it useful. Most of the people I met were friendly and rather normal. They weren't pod people and they didn't make me do anything. I do hope that you try something.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Listen. A "life story" is not "evidence". Ever. It's an anecdote, something scientists very explicitly state is at the absolute bottom of the totem pole when it comes to proving anything.
sorry you can not dispute my life story as its real hard facts
Old 07-29-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

What's the environment like at these meetings? Are members receptive to non-traditional (for AA) viewpoints, or do they just pound the Big Book like a bible and insist that whoever disagrees with the 12 steps is "in denial"?
we will find that many in AA remind us of us

if I might say -- not perfect ones

Mountainman
Old 07-29-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

it is amazing that when ones claim

that they would do most anything to get and stay sober

they let so many obstacles get in their way

MM
Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

True but when it comes to sharing one's experience it's all good. You might not agree/believe what others share but they are entitled to their opinion.

My advise is be respectful of others in the room because as sure as I'm typing this you're likely to upset some. But as long as you're not deliberately combative you should be fine.

AA is worth a shot and you can't beat the price.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

If you are looking for reasons to give up hope and just keep drinking, I think you may have found it!

The search for evidence ALWAYS works because there are problems with research into recovery. You can blow holes into almost any type of recovery. Because the nature of this condition and its treatment is not easy to quantify. Sure they can research the addictive brain and describe the pathology. But what cures it? Are you talking for a year? Ten years? A lifetime? How do you define successful recovery?

There is no documentation. There is no evidence. There is no proof. There is no guarantee. You simply have to rely on your own judgement. You may make a choice that does not help you. Then you have to try a different way to recover. And maybe another.

But if you want an excuse to not take any action, you can keep up the search for a sure-fire path to recovery. It can keep you busy for a very long time.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I go to an agnostic meeting, where the members are receptive to non-traditional viewpoints. Cross-talk, or commenting on another person's beliefs, is strongly discouraged at our meetings; it would be inappropriate for someone to insist that you are in denial.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
sorry you can not dispute my life story as its real hard facts
Oh dear god, this is ridiculous. It is still an anecdote. I'll explain it for you:

I'm sure you agree that cigarettes can cause early death (among other things). Then, suppose I say "Well, my uncle smoked and he lived until he was 80, so cigarettes DON'T cause early death". This is an anecdote. This is my imaginary uncle's "life story". If he existed, these would be "real hard facts".

But if I believed in that reasoning, I'd be an idiot. This is the kind of reasoning you are trying to use with me.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Alcoholism itself is not really explainable by science or evidence. I am not am AA member, and I'm also not a very religious person. But the only possible way I was able to accept my alcoholism was to accept on faith that I cannot drink, ever. There is no journal article or explanation. It just IS.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

thinking about it, i didnt know if aa would work or not
i just went ahead and gave it a try so surely you could at least just try it before you buy it ?