Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

My view on moderation - the science behind the mirage

Notices

My view on moderation - the science behind the mirage

Old 01-23-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
I cut this out specifically to focus on it, Rob. I appreciate the whole message, did read it, do understand it, and am always grateful for your messages.

You're right. Some things didn't pan out. They are actually physical things but there is connectivity to happiness, good mental health, etc.

I'm stuck on that at the moment, perhaps that is why I am focusing on this thread.

I am capable of realizing what I've gained, but I was hoping for more and am having a really hard time coming to terms with the fact that I'm not getting what I wanted.
You know I'm a polio-survivor as a child, and so plenty of disappointments with all that. Last Aug 2012 I had my entire right leg amputated because no other real-life options existed for me. I elected to have the surgery done. I began the process and over time off came the leg.

The thing with being a polio-survivor is a condition called polio syndrome - which means for me my entire CNS has more mileage on it then actually travelled meaning for the motor nerves which stopped working either fully or partially, the other ones in close proximity worked double time, okay?

So in real life, my CNS is older then I am, and its failing me. My left leg which has been slowly losing its muscular vitality and reflex response over the last two years is now at a point where it can just give out on me, and fold like a lawn chair. Well, this is not good. Not good. There exists no known cure for polio syndrome. For symptoms, rest is the best deal they have to offer me. Rest does not work well with me. After spending what amounts to a few years in body plaster casts, and then years of rebuilding my muscles, I'm all stocked up on laying around playing shadow puppets as my CNS takes an early retirement.

Still though, what's a guy to do?

So, yeah, I have empathy for whatever physically didn't work out for you. I got history with that myself, and it kept me drunk for years until it didn't. Yeah, I hear you.

Hey, thanks for being you in this thread, FG. I'm unsure if you want your story out, but that's always your call. For me, when it came out, I finally managed to sober up, otherwise it was going be me deep sixing myself sooner than later.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I think this thread took a turn somewhere. As simply as I can possibly state it:
100% alcoholism is linked to genetic pre-disposition
100% alcoholism is linked to environmental factors.

There's no one alcoholic model. The only thread I believe that binds us all is our inability to "moderate" our drinking. The road we each took to the destination of alcoholism looked very different for each one of us.

If getting the most Indepth workings of the human brain keeps you sober I say Hooorah!
If dealing with mommy/daddy/spouce issues is the core of your addiction than that's where you seek your solace.

I am guilty of really enjoying a good SR debate popcorn in hand. Sometimes though its hard to see when there is no right point of view.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImperfectlyMe View Post
I think this thread took a turn somewhere. As simply as I can possibly state it:
100% alcoholism is linked to genetic pre-disposition
100% alcoholism is linked to environmental factors.

there is simply no evidence for any of that..but i will agree to disagree. Some people base their recovery on bumper stickers and that fine..but of a lot of us are looking for something more
Old 01-23-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I have mixed connective tissue disorder, it's an autoimmune illness that causes a lot of pain signals for no reason. I was using alcohol and benzos to manage pain as well as a lot of other underlying issues. My adrenals were shot, and I have some sort of gene mutation (my brothers would be dying laughing if they knew) that makes it difficult to process folate. A lot of doctors now prescribe folate as a medical food in correlation with depression meds. I believe that anxiety and depression are underlying issues for most of us. I never realized how much our digestive system affects our brains and CNS…yeast is another huge field that is just opening up. Conversion of n-acetylcysteine is also a front that is just being addressed. What about ethnic heritage, does the fact that daylight is dramatically different in some populations cause any sort of mutation, night shifts were stated to cause genetic modifications yesterday. …the fact that the possibilities are vast should make us more inclined, not less, to seek answers. I doubt there will ever be a moldy orange magic bullet for addiction, but as someone who is grappling with it I have a vested interest, if not for myself, then for my daughter, to press understanding not in lieu of sobriety, but in addition to it.

I did a lot of fundraising in the last 10 years, and was involved with the grassroots beginnings of autism funding for research. There was a lot of redundant research within the States as there was no central organization and federal funding was paltry, that has changed significantly in just 10 years. In respect to addiction, how much overlap is there amongst different research interests? Is there a research specifically oriented to pull together research between different disciplines? An organization dedicated solely to cross reference different fields of study both national and international..genetic, neurologic, endocrinology, the physiology of brain trauma? I don't have a medical background, but can you align the study of addiction to that of say, Alzheimer's? Where we are still trying to figure out what specific components are involved that cause one person within a family to become stricken?

Does the fact that there is a behavioral aspect to alcoholism/addiction get in the way of the population who develop said issues to actively call for more attention from the medical field because there is an unspoken judgement about our choice in it? At least 10% of most populations are affected yet most doctors have told me they spend one day on studying addiction in med school. Yes, sobriety is part of the treatment, but I would offer that most of us here do not believe that sobriety alone is enough treatment.

I had a discussion with my integrated physician when I first got home from rehab, she is working with me on chronic pain. Her take was that if 10 things are wrong with you and we can address 4 or 5 of them your quality of life will improve significantly.

I have the same view on addiction, if 8 or 12 components are involved, wouldn't it make sense that the more inroads we make perhaps the sooner we can catch it, the less people will suffer, the more people we can reach?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Here's a little bit of science, this used to be my signature on SoberRecovery...

4 March 2009; Neuroscience: "Rethinking rehab", Jim Schnabel, Nature 458.

"...Neuroscientists have begun to recognize that some of the most important brain systems impaired in addiction are those in the prefrontal cortex that regulate social cognition, self-monitoring, moral behaviour and other processes that the AA-type approach seems to target...."
Old 01-23-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Here's a little bit of science, this used to be my signature on SoberRecovery...

4 March 2009; Neuroscience: "Rethinking rehab", Jim Schnabel, Nature 458.

"...Neuroscientists have begun "
And I think this is important….I believe we have just begun, and I am not suggesting understanding in lieu of but rather in conjunction with.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
there is simply no evidence for any of that..but i will agree to disagree. Some people base their recovery on bumper stickers and that fine..but of a lot of us are looking for something more
Love a snarky comment aimed at me... Cracks me up

Here's a bumper sticker for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (11.8 KB, 158 views)
Old 01-23-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself capo 👏
Old 01-23-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImperfectlyMe View Post
Love a snarky comment aimed at me... Cracks me up

Here's a bumper sticker for you.
comment wasn't aimed at you..seriously..I thought you were talking about the thread not your own views...ive read your posts and I don't believe you talk or base your recovery in bumper stickers..not in the least...

I can't figure out that sign except for the butt part lol
Old 01-23-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I just find it interesting to read about humans .. rather interesting species are we not And at times I come across information that enlighten me at little.

I am not looking for a silver bullet that solves all problems. I am not even sure I want to live in a society where all problems are solved. The thought of some medicine that would take way all addictive traits from humans – is in my view frightening thought.

I think the 24 hours thread was more important to keep me sober the first many months than books about the brain, we are (I am at least) rather simple – it is not that complicated what it takes.

And there is nothing wrong with bumper stickers in my view.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

So I just arrived in Moscow and wow this has been an active thread! BTW - The Kremlin is breathtaking at night at lit up.

My point was to talk about some of the biology associated with addiction. Originally I was trying to highlight that as we use a substance to escape we are rewiring our brains, in particular the Obitofrontal cortex and prefrontal cortex. By bypassing mother nature we rewrite the code, which changes our ability to make executive decisions not just drunk or high but also sober. This make moderations from a science perspective biologically impossible from what I am concluding. In other words you cross a line and can't go back - whether the brain can repair is not determined.

I am in AA have read RR and in active therapy. Many people talk about how simple this all is - I humbly disagree and believe its amazingly complex. You are not born with some alcoholic gene - Cabo is right here, actually. In fact a decade ago they thought they did find the magic alcoholic gene but it was based on flawed research. What is more plausible is a combination of having certain genes that f activated by certain environmental stumli result in addiction. depending upon the combinations results in your behavioral or substance addiction/s.

Why is knowledge important? Because not learning is going backwards. I believe having this disease compels me to learn as much about it as possible to help others and not pass it to my children and their children - this is my motivation.

Many of you here are friends - even though I would not recognize any of you on the Street. So I am sorry things got sideways a bit. My hope is that posting about what I find fascinating will inspire others do dig and share. Perhaps we may find improvements and can help newcomers and old-timers. Nobody deserves to be unhappy and nobody deserves to white knuckle this disease.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Take care in Moscov, it is freezing over there.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberhawk View Post
Take care in Moscov, it is freezing over there.
That is an understatement - wow this cold is just brutal. Feels like a war zone with the security too. Metal detectors in my hotel not to mention the body guards.

I had never seen the Kremlin at night - I will try to post a picture tomorrow night - quite stunning.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way too much cattiness here.

Chill out people, be good to one another, or I'll have to close it down.

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
In respect to addiction, how much overlap is there amongst different research interests? Is there a research specifically oriented to pull together research between different disciplines?
these are the type of questions would should be asking imo
Old 01-23-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

FG,
maybe you could do the work you say it will be and tell us what it is you're driving at that we're not getting. spell it out instead of drive at it .

and what you wanted and are not getting...who could give it?

Last edited by Dee74; 01-23-2014 at 03:11 PM. Reason: PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Fini said something that rings true to me a bit. Having been exposed to alcoholism since I was a young boy, I guess I don't need this validation, but it is obtuse of me to assume others don't.

Originally Posted by fini View Post
however, i did wonder if maybe it "settles" something for some people? JDooner, is that part of the appeal for you? does it help settle some kind of doubt in your mind?
hm...THAT is where i needed my own experience. even if i'd read the science, and science had told me that i couldn't moderate, i'd most certainly have spent a very long time attempting to prove that wrong. logic and rational thinking, in fact, told me i SHOULD be able to moderate, yet i could not. when i accepted that, it all turned around.
that acceptance had to come from knowing it to be true from experience.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hi fini,

FG has already made a good account of himself within this thread, and his continuing interest in his lifestyle choices. Since you've perhaps missed the original momentum let me see if this helps you -

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
I cut this out specifically to focus on it, Rob. I appreciate the whole message, did read it, do understand it, and am always grateful for your messages.

You're right. Some things didn't pan out. They are actually physical things but there is connectivity to happiness, good mental health, etc.

I'm stuck on that at the moment, perhaps that is why I am focusing on this thread.

I am capable of realizing what I've gained, but I was hoping for more and am having a really hard time coming to terms with the fact that I'm not getting what I wanted.
Follow the link from there on and it all falls back into place. An interesting thread indeed.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hi FG,
If you are interested have a look at this book, it is great.
'The happiness Trap' by Dr Russ Harris

I think you will find it very interesting at the very least.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose View Post
Hi FG,
If you are interested have a look at this book, it is great.
'The happiness Trap' by Dr Russ Harris

I think you will find it very interesting at the very least.
I suspect that will be a tough go as I've read all the 1970's versions of self-help that are being revisited. Nevertheless, I added it to my list of books others have suggested and I'm trying to get interested in reading. Thank you for the suggestion.