Notices

How bad does it get?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

Imagine destruction of all personal relationships including family,friends, and lovers. Imagine being miserable and angry all of the time. Imagine hating yourself and wanting to die. Imagine moving from place to place because you aren't responsible enough to have your own place and you seem to wear out your welcome everywhere. Being hung over every single day. Getting into fights with people constantly and getting the crap beat out of you. Imagine being lonely and isolated because no one wants to be around you. Imagine waking up hungover in jail. Imagine dealing with DUIs.Imagine being nearly homeless,jobless,friendless and without transportation. Imagine losing all hope all self-respect and self-esteem. Imagine doing things you never thought you would -losing all your morals and values.Being obsessed with alcohol 24/7 365 forever. That's how bad it can get. That's how it was for me. Thank God there's a better way of life!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Pancreatitis scared me straight..although I waited 6 months of drinking heavily following my 1st attack to get sober - incredibly stupid.

I think God has kept us all alive for a reason...
Old 10-23-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I didn't have time to read all these posts..but very good advice here!! My thought here, you drink ALOT of alcohol, if you are really drinking that much daily..your body is going to shut down and it doesn't always give warnings..it just finally quits..PLEASE see a Dr. before you quit and be completely honest about your drinking..you are at a dangerous stage and if you don't want to die, and you don't, you have GOT to stop now!!! Please seek help when you have a clear moment!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I agree with the idea of talking about how good it can get. I didn't stop drinking and smoking pot solely because it was bad, I quit partially because how good the alternative looked, and has turned out to be. If you want to know how bad it was for me, click on the 1 underneath my name, my story, or a good part of it, is there.

How good it has gotten is a big reason why I enjoy sobriety. I have a job, a roof over my head, I eat everyday, I have true friends, I have self esteem, I have little to no guilt (I'm still human, I still mess up every now and then), I can look in the mirror and not want to look away, I have integrity, I have trustworthiness, I have joy in my life. Just a few things that sobriety has enabled me to get.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

It DOES get better jvice. The short term is uncomfortable. Withdrawel sucks. But it is a relatively very short period. The worst it got for me? I absolutely hated who I had become. All the other things and consequences were bad, but the worst was hating myself and feeling there was nothing good about me at all. I'm only 25 days today, but I've returned to pretty much normal physically. And I like myself again. I feel good about what I've done and am doing, and I no longer feel worthless. Talk to a doctor. Get started. You can do this if you want things to be different. There is lots of help out there, but you have to be the impetus.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

im not spending 500 bucks copay to hit detox again. the only thing i cant get my hands on is a benzo. i already bought multivitamins, b complex, and blood thinners. detox is a complete waste of time and money. well maybe not, you learn some good things there, waste of time for me though, ive been twice this year..
Old 10-24-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jvice09 View Post
the kindling effect is real, i used to never get hangovers. now hangovers are BAD, i wouldn't wish them upon my worst enemy.
Yup, I can relate 100% to this. In the beginning of my drinking, I never got hang overs. Now, if I drink, it's pretty much a guarantee that I WILL be hung over the next day, and if I have to be to work, that I will be calling in.

I never scared straight myself. It does get bad though. In my outpatient rehab, a guy told us how he vomited blood because the alcohol ate away at his esophagus, and he's also had seizures and fell through a window at work one day, and he still drank. Crazy stuff...
Old 10-24-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

i ran out of vodka. i wont buy anymore today. i need to give my body a rest. i just put it through hell
Old 10-25-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I agree with some of the above posters if you keep waiting for it to be really bad you could keep lowering the bar. Instead know that life can be a lot better than it is for you now.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi jvuice, I agree the doctor sounds like the best idea. I am happy to be sober. I reap all the benefits of health. It is good to be reminded of the other side though. To stay sober. Best wishes to you. You can do this. If you need help, it's a good thing.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hmmm, good post.

I went to rehab and missed my 3 year olds b-day just to get out and drink again with new found "buddies" there... that wasn't enough

I got my first DUI 3 weeks after rehab...... that wasn't enough

I'm going through a divorce and my family decided because of the DUI and my drinking getting worse my husband should have custody of my son ... that wasnt enough

I lost the job that was there for me when I got out of rehab do to horrible hang-overs... still wasn't enough

I tried to ease my withdrawals with muscle relaxants and still hung over mixed 2 different meds, went into 3 days of intense audio and visual hallucinations, called the police 9 times thinking someone was breaking into my home, had a nervous breakdown and went to the nut-house for 7 days ...THAT WAS ENOUGH!

10-04-13 (21 days and counting baby)