Notices

How bad does it get?

Old 10-21-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How bad does it get?

just wondering, maybe a horror story will scare me straight..
Old 10-21-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How much and how long have you been drinking?
Old 10-21-2013, 11:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i drink a litre of vodka every single day. been going on 7 years.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's a lot of booze. I was at about 3/4 of a fifth to a fifth a day. Only for 14-18 months everyday, your well past me.

Do you have bad withdrawals?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yea withdrawals are bad. they keep getting worse.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd picture they are. Have you detoxed before or have any desire to?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yea twice this year in a hospital. it takes about 5 days to get out of your blood. i hate being a slave to alcoHELL.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What was the longest you went sober?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

2 months
Old 10-22-2013, 12:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well it sounds like you have a chance to quit if you want it. I'm only on day 43 myself and realize I need to go a lot longer before I fell better. 2 months wasn't long enough.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Heavy drinking or alcoholism moreover, is INSANITY. The alcohol makes you think you're very far from the worst things..that you have some higher level to reach before reaching worst things, BUT really every time you drink you SEVERELY are at risk for the worst things happening to you. And inevitably they WILL happen if you keep drinking. It's not a "what if" or a risk anymore, it's some thing that eventually will take place.

Just think of everything you care about, reasons why you live, and think about those things being severely messed with hurt taken from you or damaged in front of your face and how that would feel, the agony you will then live every single day of your life, and think how those things are going to happen if you keep drinking..STARTING RIGHT NOW. Tomorrow can be your day. You can plow into a family with drunk driving and never thought it would happen to you, because maybe you've drank and drove before or don't even own a car, but for whatever reason the alcohol has lead to it anyway, because that's how it works, it makes things happen that you would NEVER think are going to happen because you don't think you're doing anything
that will make it happen.

When we drink too much, anythings possible, unfortunately not anything GOOD for you. A lot of alcohol doesn't do a damn thing good for a persons life, but it does a damn good job at tricking people that it DOES, when in reality drinking heavy is only complete self destruction, but a slow one, so you will suffer the consequences long before death most likely. All for nothing, because we can LIVE ON HAPPY and CONTENT without alcohol, alcohols like the devil greatest trick is convincing people he doesn't exist, because alcohol tricks people into thinking they need to drink, we don't need to drink at all, we can live FINE without the drink, in fact more fine than when we drink, so much, when you finally stop drinking you see that truth and think to yourself "Oh my god, that drink was f****** worthless AND worst yet destructive and it actually made me believe that I needed that in my life, yet the reason I drank(so I thought) was because I thought my life already sucked, but here I am making things suck more, it doesn't make any sense to top it off. What kind of black magic is this?"..fortunately there is a god if we want there to be one after all with things like alcoholism..there most definitely is a devil.

Drinking heavy and relying on the drink and all that, is... wow... it is just such a waste. Just like it's a waste to struggle in life no matter what. Accept all the bad things. Face fears. Make it OK to make mistakes. Make it OK to feel emotional pain with things you care about/make it OK to grow. Make it OK to seek help for yourself. Because not a damn thing will be OK if you don't. I wish I would've known that sooner. Because drinking too much is just a mistake, and it isn't anything more..at ALL. Don't wait until it's too late to find that out, and to find out just how much of a mistake it is..it's not the type of mistake where you buy the wrong thing at the grocery store.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It gets as bad as you can imagine and then some.
If you are alcoholic and don't stop.
Check out 'Rain in my heart' on Utube.
And be well.
G
Old 10-22-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Try this... Drugged - High On Alcohol - YouTube
Old 10-22-2013, 01:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drank close to that much, went through a 1.75 liter bottle of vodka every other day. The problem I have with your question is that if you have been drinking 1 liter/day for 7 years and have multiple trips to the hospital under your belt, you've probably heard the horror stories or experienced them yourself. I had no clue how physically addicted I was until I got caught in a snowstorm on my way to rehab. I have no idea if I was being a drama queen, but I thought I was going to die at one point. That got my attention, but I have since realized that I ignored the extent to which alcohol took control of my life: friends, job, health, mental acuity, emotional stability. I was delusional:

Delusion: a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary.

My point is this - how much evidence do you have already? Watch Rain in My Heart - and consider how much evidence those poor souls had at the time. Is it evidence you lack, or honesty?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How bad does it get, that depends on your definition of bad... I found just when I thought things couldn't get any worse; they suddenly did!!

Death, I guess, is as bad as it gets. Although in the period preceding my quit I was fantasizing about suicide so in my mind death was not even enough of a motivator to get me to quit drinking.

I'm guessing that you've got sufficient experience through your hospital detox to know that alcohol withdrawal can be fatal? If you're not already aware, I'd suggest you need to become aware.

Also of interest might be alcohol withdrawal kindling - roughly speaking the repeated detox leads to increased severity of withdrawal syndrome.

You don't have to be a slave to alcohell, but you will have to go through the detox process. As a friend of mine Dave (rip) used to say: In order to stop drinking, first you have to stop drinking.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Death is as bad as it gets. However, I think for many active alcoholics, death actually starts to look preferable to years and decades of continued alcoholic pain and misery coupled with ever increasing declines in physical and mental health.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi. MrGhost That is an excellent post about the facts of how it is. People seem to overlook the fact that alcohol is NOT a health drink and does cause far more problems than it helps. It's part of many of out emotional immaturity, many physical problems and reinforces our depressive moods. Now the healthy part...
BE WELL
Old 10-22-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

"just wondering, maybe a horror story will scare me straight.. "
a person died as a result of my drunken behavior.
that didn't scare me enough.
I watched a friend die from alcoholism.
I watched many people die from alcoholism and drug.
my friends and family walked away from me.

it was when the pain of getting drunk exceeded the pain of reality and my choices were get help or kill myself.
I chose to get help. been sober since.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey man, how about a good story or three?

Once I finally broke free of that stuff I had a much better life to lead in more ways than I could imagine. I knew that I was a slave to it from 18-46, breaking the chains gave me super powers.

If you can go two months, try getting two months and a day. After a year I started to really get better. Here's a useful secret for me:sobriety is truly much more fun than being a drunk in every way except that it's not as much fun to hang out with drunks.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

ive watched all those videos multiple times. its scary to think that i should never EVER drink again. i dont really have any more options though. i make so many bad decisions when im drunk, wake up dreading what i said to people, driving drunk etc.