Notices

How bad does it get?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

the kindling effect is real, i used to never get hangovers. now hangovers are BAD, i wouldn't wish them upon my worst enemy.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

im kinda at the stage where i realize that im not special. im not a superhero that can drink with no consequences. i wish i was, but thats just not realistic.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jvice09 View Post
the kindling effect is real, i used to never get hangovers. now hangovers are BAD, i wouldn't wish them upon my worst enemy.
I had 10 months and relapsed in July..... In my 6 years of drinking I NEVER remembered the hangovers being this bad....mentally, physically.... They all seem 10x worse.....I barely used to get hung over but after I relapsed in July, I've been in the hospital about 3 times due to anxiety attacks, shaking etc...... When I type it out, it kinda makes me see how insane I really am that I continue....😬
Old 10-22-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

just wondering, maybe a horror story will scare me straight..
Rain In My Heart (1 of 10) - YouTube

Watch all ten episodes.
Best to you.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thisisme View Post
Rain In My Heart (1 of 10) - YouTube

Watch all ten episodes.
Best to you.
seen them all. also drugged high on alcohol. scary stuff
Old 10-22-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

How bad do you want it to get jvice? The nature of alcoholism is it WILL get worse if the alcoholic is actively drinking. Everyone has to hit their bottom. And bottoms aren't a contest. What is the low point for one person and makes them want to change may be just a bump in the road for another. It took me getting to a point where I wanted to change more than I wanted things to stay the same, and it also took me being willing to do a lot of things I didn't want to do and was afraid of for me to begin to change. I wish I had been willing and able to start this process years and years ago. There is a lot of support here. Use it, and best of luck. Good thoughts to you.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Funny thing about alcoholics, we seem entirely incapable of being scared straight. I kept telling myself, as things got progressively worse, that THIS TIME I'd wake up and get it together. I rode that delusion for many years.

If you want to quit for good and all, AA has an answer for you.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
LDT

There was a "Vehicular Homicide" due to drunken driving in my town just a few days ago. As a mother, I think that's just about as bad as it can possibly get.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

i dont want to reach my bottom to realize my lesson. im getting close though, its scary.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I got a nice ride home in a cop car and caused a great scene on Sunday. We'll see if that works. New huge low. Somehow I don't think the scared straight theory will apply as time passes.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Death is as bad as it gets. However, I think for many active alcoholics, death actually starts to look preferable to years and decades of continued alcoholic pain and misery coupled with ever increasing declines in physical and mental health.
One more step down is taking the life of an innocent before you kill yourself
Old 10-22-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

ive watched all those videos multiple times. its scary to think that i should never EVER drink again. i dont really have any more options though. i make so many bad decisions when im drunk, wake up dreading what i said to people, driving drunk etc.
You'll never quit if you are only doing so because you have to. You will only get better when you WANT to. The horror stories are scary of course, but until you really decide that you want sobriety they are merely a distraction and can't happen to us of course. Our alcoholic minds feed on that fact that literally nothing will "scare" you out of drinking.

Do you have a desire to quit?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nothing ever scared me straight - not until my last drink and detox when I suffered mini strokes and was lying there on my bathroom floor unable to get up wondering if I'd die, or even worse be a vegetable for the rest of my life.

that worked, for me.

the facts are jvice that noone is ever a successful alcoholic. It gets worse. Much worse.

I sometimes think the saying 'the living shall envy the dead' is about long term alcoholism....year in year out I watched my life, my mind, my body and my soul decay a little more.

If you want to ride the train right to the end of the line and the inevitable crash and burn derailment, it's your dime...but I hope you'll be smarter than I was

D
Old 10-22-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
You'll never quit if you are only doing so because you have to. You will only get better when you WANT to. The horror stories are scary of course, but until you really decide that you want sobriety they are merely a distraction and can't happen to us of course. Our alcoholic minds feed on that fact that literally nothing will "scare" you out of drinking.

Do you have a desire to quit?
no i still think im hott shizzz i need to quit though..
Old 10-22-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I drank as much as you do for 10 years.

Had 2 seizures, that didn't stop me.

Watched my mom die from drinking too much.

Made me want to cut back but not stop.

It wasn't until I tried to cut back/switch to beer that I realized I couldn't. It was all or nothing for me. I only have 8 months(today!), but I am still dealing with the results.

Some days are great, some are not. But I thank God each day and night for helping me to quit. I know I would be dead right now if not for stopping.

That's my story.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Jvice, if nothing else has worked so far, how about trying SR? It's been a huge source of support and education for me and I've seen people who have tried over and over succeed in remaining sober. Give it a try.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

im hammered.. i need to sleep this one off
Old 10-23-2013, 01:47 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Try and have a restful night. We'll be here with you tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

You could die, or live like this. Both are pretty sh*tty.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:33 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Death is as bad as it gets. However, I think for many active alcoholics, death actually starts to look preferable to years and decades of continued alcoholic pain and misery coupled with ever increasing declines in physical and mental health.
Best Quote yet.. i came closer than i would like to believe. it was for SURE no more FUN those last few sprees when i was Desperately trying to stop.. and found out (the hard way) that i could not.