Notices

Living up to my name

Old 09-23-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
zjw

3.2 might not be so strong. At one point I could go days with nothing or just have a 6 pack in an evening. Its where it all eventually led that was the problem. and the out of control nature of it.

Heck a couple few shots of vodka is really no big deal to someone who doesnt have a problem.

3.2 to someone who has an issue sure maybe its a tease to some I personally would nail those 6 and be on to better stuff in no time. Or i'd call a situation like is drinking them slowly over a few hours ok the next day since I had done so good I'd try and do it again and probably fail.

3.2 might be weak but its way too much for me.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Carbonized View Post
As far as i'm concerned there is nothing to feel hypocritical about. 3.2 is so weak it shouldn't even matter.
It's probably wrong but really made me laugh. That's how I feel about beer in general. I had to get there fast. Whiskey only for this classy old lady.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Hypocritical, I know that you went back and read your first post due to a prior post in this thread. I would not be doing this if this board were not all about providing support by experience. I look at this portion of your initial post when you came here:

Alcohol has never been a problem for me but it makes me cranky and I get frustrated too easily. Im have been known to drink to passing out on the floor way more than once. I can put it away. I have to quit. I love God and my wife (she drinks some) too much to continue being drunk all the time.
You do admit that it's never been a problem but then you say you've been known to drink to passing out on the floor way more than once. You don't find this to be a problem? Alcohol makes you cranky and you get frustrated too easily, do you think that will change? Just look at the devotion and conviction in your statement about having to quit and loving your wife and God too much to continue what you're doing.

I refer to the pattern as:

Remorseful Sunday
Well, it wasn't really that bad Wednesday
Who gives a crap Friday

You can take the days out and substitute that with any time periods of your choosing. It's the admittance that alcohol is ruining your life and you can't drink normally, followed by the bargaining and reasoning period once you move further away from the admittance and toward the craving, to the final giving in. It's a subconsciously planned event.

So the question remains, in that first post was all that you stated really not all that bad which led to the 6 3.2% 12 oz beers? Note that you're again reasoning with yourself that it really isn't that bad based on the amount that you had.

I may only have 4 months of sobriety but this is my 4th long term effort with tons of the "pattern" that I mentioned above going on all the time. This problem does not go away, it does not get better. It's progressive. All the rationalization and bargaining will never change that.

The point is that you were devoted to your choice until the urges surfaced. That's a problem.

What I will say is that I'm happy that you came here and posted. I think that there's a little piece of you in there that knew the responses you would get. Many of us have sat exactly where you sit right now. I hope you take the responses to heart. They're offered because we care.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
EndGame

People who don't have problems with alcohol don't check things like percentage of alcohol content.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hypocritical View Post
so·bri·ety noun \sə-ˈbrī-ə-tē, sō-\ : the state of not being drunk
ah, i see now.
so...as long as you don't get drunk, drinking is okay while calling yourself sober.

i'm glad i asked and you clarified what YOU mean by it.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I find that when you seem to be controlling your drinking, it's already controlling you...
Old 09-23-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

This thread reminds me of how glad I am that I don't have an alcohol reward cycle anymore. I used to quit for 30 days once a year. Once I did it in May. I felt like I had sand in my mouth I wanted a beer so bad shaky hand crossing "X"s on the calendar. December wasn't much better. My drinking buddies thought I was a bad ass but in my heart I knew I was an alcoholic and I would have to quit for good. Knowing that I would/could reward myself made it worse, in retrospect. Ironically, it started to feel better once I hit day 40 or so. I knew I was in it for the long haul after 90.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hypocritical,

I won't debate what is sobriety, what's okay, what isn't. These are things each of us has to find within ourselves, pertaining to our own personal journeys. After drinking that six pack, if you feel alright and still in control, awesome. However, as another poster said, don't let that one "good" instance of drinking lull you into complacency. You're here for a reason, namely, you believed you had a problem with drinking. Every drop, in my opinion (which is only a personal belief, nothing I'm trying to push onto you) can be playing with fire.

Not here to beat you down. Sounds like you had a great weekend. Only here to say, be careful, please. I know - for myself - there have been many nights I controlled the drinking, wasn't an ass to anyone, and woke up the next day and felt great. But that only reinforced my decision on a different night to grab some beer, with the excuse of "Hey! It worked out alright the last time!" which only lead to repeating bad nights further down the road.

Just be careful, my friend. Take care of yourself.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

you don't have to check it. You live in Oklahoma it's a given.

Dono

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
People who don't have problems with alcohol don't check things like percentage of alcohol content.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I can relate to where you are coming from OP. What led me here was doing a lot of research on am I an alcoholic or not kinda stuff. Honestly I'm still not sure. Everyone has a different experience and there is no one way to have alcoholism but the more I read and post here the more I do think I have issues with alcohol sometimes however I may not be an actual alcoholic. Some say that's the same thing but to me it's not. I'm not sure. It's a journey. My drinking was much like yours - a habit. No blackouts, no financial problems, drinking didn't intrude on my life in general, it was just a habit to have a couple glasses of wine every night. And once in a while indulge in more than that. I, like you, want and need to break the habit. I don't feel that I need to stay away from alcohol forever. In the past about 15 days I have only drank on one day. That day I overindulged and definitely felt bad. For a few days after I beat myself up about it, as I intended at least a 30 day abstinence to examine my issues. Had I had an experience like yours where a drinking day felt fine I would probably feel the same as you and more confident. I am proud that I have now gone more days alcohol free in a row then I have for the past couple years. I feel that I am making progress on breaking the bad habit and getting healthier. But I do think I will drink again, on occasion, and be OK with it. There is not "one way" to get healthier.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

Since coming to this forum I have learned plenty of NEW phrases: torment, blackout, darkness, money issues, job issues, downhill spiral, hell, tremors, powerlessness, lying, deciet etc..... all new to me. I drank too much; I know that. I need to change; I know that.

I bought and have read plenty of Life Recovery Bible (I'm an avid Bible reader anyway) and I tend to laugh at many of the devotionals etc. They just paint a picture that I am just not in. I'm not condoning drinking and hope I continue on the path to abstinence but either way I will overcome the addiction and or the habit. Blessings to you.

Dono

Originally Posted by Susan2984 View Post
I can relate to where you are coming from OP. What led me here was doing a lot of research on am I an alcoholic or not kinda stuff. Honestly I'm still not sure. Everyone has a different experience and there is no one way to have alcoholism but the more I read and post here the more I do think I have issues with alcohol sometimes however I may not be an actual alcoholic. Some say that's the same thing but to me it's not. I'm not sure. It's a journey. My drinking was much like yours - a habit. No blackouts, no financial problems, drinking didn't intrude on my life in general, it was just a habit to have a couple glasses of wine every night. And once in a while indulge in more than that. I, like you, want and need to break the habit. I don't feel that I need to stay away from alcohol forever. In the past about 15 days I have only drank on one day. That day I overindulged and definitely felt bad. For a few days after I beat myself up about it, as I intended at least a 30 day abstinence to examine my issues. Had I had an experience like yours where a drinking day felt fine I would probably feel the same as you and more confident. I am proud that I have now gone more days alcohol free in a row then I have for the past couple years. I feel that I am making progress on breaking the bad habit and getting healthier. But I do think I will drink again, on occasion, and be OK with it. There is not "one way" to get healthier.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
skg

Good luck with that. The good news is that there's a way to live without alcohol if life becomes unmanageable.

Last edited by skg; 09-24-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: expand
Old 09-24-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I understand that if someone refuses to see their problem, there is nothing to be done for them. Still, this thread is pretty hard to read. It is delusional.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

looks like you've got room to judge. It's only delusional if you're that narrow minded and live life with blinders on. There is more to this forum than that.

Originally Posted by roomsforall View Post
I understand that if someone refuses to see their problem, there is nothing to be done for them. Still, this thread is pretty hard to read. It is delusional.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
zjw

lets assume you do not have a drinking problem. just a habit of drinking. what good comes of this habit? how does it benefit you? is it good for your health? is it helping you save money?

I had a habit of eating this one kind of chocolate cake each day once. I never thought much of it till the cashier at the store one day said "oh the usual again today" then I realized I might have a problem. I never bought that cake again. Oh and yeah I ponderd going to a different cashier or different store for it etc.. *sigh* It was just cake no big deal right?

Sometimes we have habits that are pretty harmless by socieities rules but there not really harmless. Caffine is another one. I was drinking a rediculous amount of coffee at one point. I thought gosh I wonder if this is too much I wonder if this is adversly affecting me. It seemed so harmless. I did some researched and realized its not as harmless as I realized and I put an end to it. I feel much better too.

So if it is just a habit is it a good habit to keep around?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

I have plenty of habits. Things I do over and over, day in, day out. Are all destructive? Are all beneficial? My knees think running is bad for me but my heart says otherwise. My yard really dosen't need mowed twice a week but it sure looks nice, to hell with air and noise quality. I drink coffee everyday without fail. I have few habits that are anything but beneficial. I don't smoke, don't over eat, excersise more than most, read more than most and enjoy life to the fullest. I'm sorry that I've discovered that my world is not darkness, filled with sorrow and misery but it just is not. I've never even researched alcoholism and maybe jumped in here too quickly. Again, I'm sorry I'm not feeling that I fit into your mold.

Dono

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
lets assume you do not have a drinking problem. just a habit of drinking. what good comes of this habit? how does it benefit you? is it good for your health? is it helping you save money?

I had a habit of eating this one kind of chocolate cake each day once. I never thought much of it till the cashier at the store one day said "oh the usual again today" then I realized I might have a problem. I never bought that cake again. Oh and yeah I ponderd going to a different cashier or different store for it etc.. *sigh* It was just cake no big deal right?

Sometimes we have habits that are pretty harmless by socieities rules but there not really harmless. Caffine is another one. I was drinking a rediculous amount of coffee at one point. I thought gosh I wonder if this is too much I wonder if this is adversly affecting me. It seemed so harmless. I did some researched and realized its not as harmless as I realized and I put an end to it. I feel much better too.

So if it is just a habit is it a good habit to keep around?
Old 09-24-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I wasn't pointing out the delusional aspect of your arguments to be offensive. Many people here have gone through exactly the same sort of thinking that you are now, myself included. It's really easy to slip into denial. It's really easy to slip from 'normal' drinking into the dependency.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

^^These are my thoughts and why I'm here. My habit of drinking a couple glasses of wine daily wasn't a positive one, even if it's something others didn't see a problem with. No, it was not causing me darkness and despair etc etc. But it definitely, sustained over time anyway, would not have been good for my health or happiness I suppose. When something because such a habit that you start to "depend" on it, it's a slippery slope. Again I can see where you are coming from OP - reading more here makes me feel like I am sometimes out of place, coming from a place of true rationalization and honesty, I do not think I'm an alcoholic. But do I have alcohol issues? Sure do. If I hadn't stopped to examine myself now would I become an alcoholic? Likely. Being honest with myself has hopefully helped to break the habit and stop any further damage. You may be in the same position too, just be sure to be honest with yourself.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I really hope it works out for you I just think people who don't have drinking problems don't usually find their way onto an alcoholism forum.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
jkb

Well, I am happy you are not an alcoholic and can have a few drinks here and there. I personally really miss that. I do not miss the living hell that was my life when I drank.... I am an alcoholic...uugghh. But anyway, GL to you and enjoy.

Jess