Notices

Living up to my name

Old 09-24-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
jkb

Originally Posted by john44 View Post
Well, 6 3.2% 12 ounce beers would equal 6 * .032 * 12 = 2.304 ounces of pure alcohol. 4 1.5 ounce shots of 40% (80 proof) vodka would equal 4 * .400 * 1.5 = 2.400 ounces of pure alcohol. Looks pretty close to me.

I never thought to do this........ Yet I am not that good at math.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
a southern belle

Honestly.... I don't get this whole convo of yours! Why do you feel the need to justify yourself thru the ppl here working on sobriety??? If you have no problem, no shame, no horrible consequences from your drinking career....wth? Are you just getting kicks? Enjoy your life...see ya when the rose colored glasses fall off!!
Old 09-24-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I've benefited from this thread as well. I don't see this as a troll. I see myself in many of you, Hypo included in fact that's what has motivated me to post.

I think ZJW did a good job the post about eating meat in a vegge forum, but please allow me to take a different stab at articulating why some of the reactions have been the way they are. (were?)

So much is lost in text vs in person interaction so let me preface these thoughts that there is no sarcasm, intended offense or talking down to you at all.

I'm of the AVRT school.

I had 3 years sober, then a year ago, my wife and I decided that it would be "OK" for me to drink again. That drinking started off with moderation and quickly graduated to daily, then weekends. Then on weekends the start time crept earlier and earlier. I don't do drugs, I'm really successful (in career), and I'm also in the "not yets" club mentioned.

Anyways, if you subscribe to AVRT thinking (Google it, take the free course, it'll take you 5 min) then if you look at your earlier post and then the start of this thread, you might think of this as drinking thinking.

If you drank for 10+ years (I think you said 30?), thought you had a problem, came here, read other stuff (guessing), took two weeks off (Congrats BTW), and then drank again and nothing bad happened, well you're lucky. That to us drinking thinking, our AVs will do anything to help us rationalize more drinking - anything. In fact, having a night of a couple beers and nothing bad happening will only serve to strengthen your AV's hold on your life. I posted very similar thoughts in my journal, somewhere else, years ago and the reaction was similar to the one you got here.

If you're looking for us to help you justify continuing drinking, this just isn't the place to ask that question and receive the answer you seek. We all either desperately want to quit or have struggled and worked hard to get and stay sober.

I sincerely wish you all the best and happiness in life. Drink, don't drink, your decision doesn't benefit me. From an outsider's (AVRT) point of view I see this as looking for encouragement to continue to rationalize drinking. Maybe there are moderation forms where you can get the encouragement you seek. I've never looked for them, only quitting forums.

Again, all the best in whatever you decide and if you end up coming back here posting that you had an experience like mine, you're going to get nothing but support from me.

CJ.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

If you can drink in a controlled manner, more power to you.

Im not you, so Im not going to judge you.

In my case, I could drink for a while, but it wasn't long before I was as bad off as before.

You will know which is which if you are honest with yourself.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hypocritical View Post
Yesterday was day 13. We had such beautiful weather in Oklahoma. We were sitting around the pool enjoying the day and i just couldn't stand it; I wanted a beer. I went and bought a six-pack of Bud Light (it's 3.2% here) and all was perfect in the world. I drank the six over the next few hours, made a fantastic dinner of spagetti, watched some tv and went to bed. Woke up this morning feeling as good as i did previous days. I don't feel guilty, don't feel like I gave up sobriety and don't feel the need to drink. I don't want to go back to drinking everyday and still expect to remain sober. I had to post this so my future posts wouldn't be hypocritical; like me.

Dono

Wonder why you NEEDED to drink all six....and , sure, it was YOUR choice.
Once you start--tough to stop,eh? Got done dinner just in time to sleep it off.

Yea, your not an alcoholic and good for you for not feeling your one. Guess we can tell ourselves anything , who's gonna call us on it, right?
Just wonder why you are on this forum--something must have freaked you enough to check us out, huh?

Sorry, I am being a wiseguy--you really only have yourself to answer too. This is all my opinion only!

TrixMixer
Old 09-26-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I just got off the See I Never Really Had A Problem boat, myself . Two months into sobriety and went back out again. Yeah, it's a problem. A couple of drinks at first a couple of weeks ago landing right back into 4-5 a night. It removed any doubt. So day 1-ing again.(sigh).

The very humbled, Volstead.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I've posted and have not seen a response so perhaps shortening it will help.

Hypocritical, what happened between this:

I love God and my wife (she drinks some) too much to continue being drunk all the time.

We are serious about quitting and plan to be successful. I'm sure it won't be a walk in the park as I have been doing this for the past 20+ years. I hope to gain fellowship, support and knowledge from this board. I checked out a few and yours seemed a good fit.
and this

I went and bought a six-pack of Bud Light (it's 3.2% here) and all was perfect in the world. I drank the six over the next few hours, made a fantastic dinner of spagetti, watched some tv and went to bed. Woke up this morning feeling as good as i did previous days. I don't feel guilty, don't feel like I gave up sobriety and don't feel the need to drink. I don't want to go back to drinking everyday and still expect to remain sober.
It's odd seeing those two put together isn't it? The difference is one of those is the real you. It's up to you to decide which.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
EndGame

Quote:
I love God and my wife (she drinks some) too much to continue being drunk all the time.

We are serious about quitting and plan to be successful. I'm sure it won't be a walk in the park as I have been doing this for the past 20+ years. I hope to gain fellowship, support and knowledge from this board. I checked out a few and yours seemed a good fit.

. . .

Quote:
I went and bought a six-pack of Bud Light (it's 3.2% here) and all was perfect in the world. I drank the six over the next few hours, made a fantastic dinner of spagetti, watched some tv and went to bed. Woke up this morning feeling as good as i did previous days. I don't feel guilty, don't feel like I gave up sobriety and don't feel the need to drink. I don't want to go back to drinking everyday and still expect to remain sober.

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
It's odd seeing those two put together isn't it? The difference is one of those is the real you. It's up to you to decide which.
Nothing odd about it. Don't forget where these comments are posted.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

It seems pretty clear to me that Hypocritical saw exactly what was being pointed out, and this is source of the extreme defensiveness displayed. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a response.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hypocritical,
Congratulations for getting to the 13th day AF, that's an achievement in itself and it shows that you have the inner strength to seriously push towards sobriety in the future. As for your 6 pack relapse, you have two options. You can view it as a hiccup in your journey towards sobriety, and jump straight back on the horse. Or you can view it as a fork in the road, where you decided that cutting back drinking was your goal, not sobriety. Only you can know for sure whether or not moderate drinking is a viable, long term option for yourself. I can't ever drink moderately, but I know plenty of people who can. However you decide to deal with your relapse, I wish you the best of luck.