Notices

Living up to my name

Old 09-23-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

Living up to my name

Yesterday was day 13. We had such beautiful weather in Oklahoma. We were sitting around the pool enjoying the day and i just couldn't stand it; I wanted a beer. I went and bought a six-pack of Bud Light (it's 3.2% here) and all was perfect in the world. I drank the six over the next few hours, made a fantastic dinner of spagetti, watched some tv and went to bed. Woke up this morning feeling as good as i did previous days. I don't feel guilty, don't feel like I gave up sobriety and don't feel the need to drink. I don't want to go back to drinking everyday and still expect to remain sober. I had to post this so my future posts wouldn't be hypocritical; like me.

Dono
Old 09-23-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It might be worth visiting the reasons why you 'couldn't stand it' though no? I don't think anyone should have to drink, ever. Are you going to go back to drinking whenever you feel like it or try and stay sober?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Hypocritical View Post
I don't feel guilty, don't feel like I gave up sobriety and don't feel the need to drink.
You drank 13 days into sobriety. If that isn't giving up on sobriety, at least for the day, what is it? The believe that you can drink occasionally?

I hope for your sake that you don't fall into the trap of thinking some sobriety is better than none.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You'd be a hypocrite if you hid the fact you had drank, you didn't, so you're not.

X
Old 09-23-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

I guess it depends on how you define sobriety. I had 6 3.2% 12 ounce beers over the course of 5 hours.

Dono

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You drank 13 days into sobriety. If that isn't giving up on sobriety, at least for the day, what is it? The believe that you can drink occasionally?

I hope for your sake that you don't fall into the trap of thinking some sobriety is better than none.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

The "couldn't stand" it had much more to do with habit than addiction. I feel really good about what I have discovered about myself lately. I was never in "darkness", never had blackouts, never had money issues related to drinking, never had job issues related to drinking, never had to hide drinking. I drank after work to numb the hectic work day and I drank then out of habit. I have issues and I have a habit I need to break. I have to quit drinking just because I'm awake and not at work.

Dono

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
It might be worth visiting the reasons why you 'couldn't stand it' though no? I don't think anyone should have to drink, ever. Are you going to go back to drinking whenever you feel like it or try and stay sober?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sobriety is a whole bunch of stuff for many of us; and for many others, it's at the very least abstinence. for others yet, it's ONLY abstinence.
whatever the definition, not drinking is the base.

not drinking.

if you're using a different definition, one that depends on degree of alcohol content, number of drinks consumed and time elapsed, then ...we're using a different language with not commonly-agreed on terms.

more to the point: how do YOU define sobriety? what "kind" of sobriety do you want?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

so·bri·ety noun \sə-ˈbrī-ə-tē, sō-\ : the state of not being drunk
Old 09-23-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would consider that drinking. I just do not want to play in this boarder area, it would just make life more difficult for me.

I do in fact have alcohol “free” beer, they are 0,05%, I have had that 12 pack for long.

I do not have any interest in them, so it can not be the taste I am after.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

Oh, I know it's drinking. I also know that it caused me no problems and had no lingering effect. I feel fantastic both mentally and physically today. I feel sober and I do not want to ruin that!

Dono
Old 09-23-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hypocritical View Post
Oh, I know it's drinking. I also know that it caused me no problems and had no lingering effect. I feel fantastic both mentally and physically today. I feel sober and I do not want to ruin that!

Dono
That's great and all...and I hope you continue having no problems. I hope, however, you don't feel the need very often to come here and say how great you're doing drinking. That would be like hanging out at a hospital telling all the patients how healthy you are.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

Point well taken. Was not my intention in the OP.

Dono
Old 09-23-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Are you telling us this in order to justify your drinking? Cause that is what it sounds like. This is your sobriety and your journey. If you feel that you can have a six pack of beer whenever you feel is appropriate then by all means, do it. Many of us, including myself, have gone down that route, and learned the hard way that it doesn't work.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

Originally Posted by Recovery1983 View Post
Are you telling us this in order to justify your drinking? Cause that is what it sounds like. This is your sobriety and your journey. If you feel that you can have a six pack of beer whenever you feel is appropriate then by all means, do it. Many of us, including myself, have gone down that route, and learned the hard way that it doesn't work.
No. I was posting this because I like this forum and like the people here. I didn't want to keep posting like it never happened.

Dono
Old 09-23-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

it depends on what your goal is. I think its cool you posted what you did up here and where honest etc.. I think theres a couple other people here that drink now and then but keep it in check (what we would consider that "normal" drinking) I have 0 idea how they do it. I know i sure couldnt. I assume they still bother coming to a board like this to help them remain sober 95% of the time and there ok with that. I guess if thats there goal. I wonder what ya do if you dont have a place like this to use as a crutch to remain 95% sober I guess AA meetings? I'd imagine it could drive some members nuts.

Its not like you slipped either it sounds like you chose to drink your content with your choice and you just assume to drink now and then. but with any luck not have it be habit?

To each is own I cant hold it against you you gotta be true to yourself. If your approach works for you hey great. I know for me I'd just be justifying and prolonging more misery with a mindset like that. That mindset kept me in the gutter for years and just didnt work for me.

I wish I could drink like you did and be ok with it and have it civil and "normal" But I'm an alcoholic so it wont ever work for me.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I found this from the 1st post you made on SR...It sounds to me like you had a plan to drink over your weekend even when you started...so I guess you and your wife both fell off the wagon? What a shame....

We are both going to begin fasting, praying and abstaining from alcohol on September 9th. I will be on vacation from this coming Saturday until then. Yes, pool and alcohol will play a big roll for that week. We are serious about quitting and plan to be successful. I'm sure it won't be a walk in the park as I have been doing this for the past 20+ years. I hope to gain fellowship, support and knowledge from this board. I checked out a few and yours seemed a good fit. Anyhow.....cheers!
Old 09-23-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

I looked at that myself. I could tell you that I've come to a conclusion that I am not an alcoholic but you wouldn't believe that either. I have never considered myself an alcoholic but had to prove it to myself. I CAN live without it but do not want to. My last 13 days have been wonderful. I don't feel I have to drink at all. I just miss the habit of drinking. It's as much a part of my life as eating. I don't over eat but I do tend to over-drink.

My wife drinks very little and has no problem with abstinence. She is trying to stop smoking and has a problem relating smoking with drinking.

Dono

Originally Posted by hellomynameis View Post
I found this from the 1st post you made on SR...It sounds to me like you had a plan to drink over your weekend even when you started...so I guess you and your wife both fell off the wagon? What a shame....

We are both going to begin fasting, praying and abstaining from alcohol on September 9th. I will be on vacation from this coming Saturday until then. Yes, pool and alcohol will play a big roll for that week. We are serious about quitting and plan to be successful. I'm sure it won't be a walk in the park as I have been doing this for the past 20+ years. I hope to gain fellowship, support and knowledge from this board. I checked out a few and yours seemed a good fit. Anyhow.....cheers!
Old 09-23-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
zjw

for what its worth I had a habit of drinking I also tended to over drink and I also didnt consider myself an alcholic. many years later "tending to over drink" was basicly daily for me along with my habit. A year after I got sober I realized I was and am an alcoholic. I never had a drinking problem till then oh yeah i had bad hangovers I had panic attacks sure I had too many drinks sometimes or drank till i puked but none of that was because I was an alcoholic. I never admitted or really realized I had a drinking problem and was an alcoholic till one year after i sobered up.

I really dont know why either I guess for so many years I just assumed my drinking was no big deal really and all the problems that came along with it while yes they where problems and yes related to my drinking it in no way meant my drinking was however a problem just those things like hangovers and such where problems.

I missed my habit of drinking too for a while after I quit. I dont really miss it anymore.

If you do decide to quit for good I dont think you'll miss the habit either.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

Thank you. I know you are right.

Dono

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
for what its worth I had a habit of drinking I also tended to over drink and I also didnt consider myself an alcholic. many years later "tending to over drink" was basicly daily for me along with my habit. A year after I got sober I realized I was and am an alcoholic. I never had a drinking problem till then oh yeah i had bad hangovers I had panic attacks sure I had too many drinks sometimes or drank till i puked but none of that was because I was an alcoholic. I never admitted or really realized I had a drinking problem and was an alcoholic till one year after i sobered up.

I really dont know why either I guess for so many years I just assumed my drinking was no big deal really and all the problems that came along with it while yes they where problems and yes related to my drinking it in no way meant my drinking was however a problem just those things like hangovers and such where problems.

I missed my habit of drinking too for a while after I quit. I dont really miss it anymore.

If you do decide to quit for good I dont think you'll miss the habit either.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

As far as i'm concerned there is nothing to feel hypocritical about. 3.2 is so weak it shouldn't even matter.