Old 09-24-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

@jaynie

Thank you!
Old 09-24-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
jkb

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
there is actually more alcohol in the amount of beer by volume. But I think you meant that spending a few hours consuming the beer would be normal. And I would agree. But is having a conversation about whether or not this is relevant, 'normal'?
Maybe your research is done?
I don't understand there is more than 3.2%...
Old 09-24-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hypocritical View Post
I also don't have cancer but have done my research on cancer. I don't have alzheimers but have done research on alzhimers. I had concerns on both and took action. I lso have concerns on my alcohol use so as before....I did and am doing my research. Again....I'm sorry I'm not experiencing all of the negative aspects of alcoholisim that you desire me to. BTW....I'm not giving up on sobriety. I had one event over the past 14 days in my first attempt in 30+ years of drinking EVERY DAY. I guess I'll pat myself on the back.

Dono
I don't desire you to experience anything negative. Noticed I said I really hope it works out. I wasn't being sarcastic. I don't know you personally so when I have my doubts it's because i know most people on this forum can't moderate.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

jkb lol yea I googled it. Went to the main site and took a couple quick quizzes just now. I scored on the very "low" end of medium dependence on alcohol (each one had like low, medium, and high 'sections' and for both I was on the lowest "score" in the medium section). Interesting stuff and will definitely do more research there. Pretty much confirms what I have already been honest with myself about - no I may not be a "Full alcoholic" or whatever one wants to coin terms as, but i definitely begin to full beyond the range of low dependence.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

It is you choice hypocritical.

I have moderated drinking for years, with success for some years.

When I look back I am surprised why I did find it worth it, why put myself through all this struggle to control it.

Addiction is rather simple in my view – we do it because it feels good often after some time because it feels less bad. I at least ignored the cost – and the cost weighs a lot harder on me now, it is with some sadness that I look back on all these years I tried to control it instead of seeing it was not worth it.

Maybe it will be different for you – I do not think anybody here is being self righteous certainly not Jaynie.

I would recommend that you try to look at your life in a full perspective and just contemplate on how much energy you will be using on moderating it and whether it will be worth it.

I am hoping it will work for you if you choose that path, and if it does not work then just recognize it and change your ways.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Not to sidetrack but I almost sometimes feeling that my drinking is like a defense mechanism or something. I would much rather be at home alone having some wine to unwind then out with people. I went through a very hard time with my husband and I think it caused me to shut down and become introverted. I suppose I am still in some pain from it even though I have forgiven him and re-committed to our life together, sitting alone and having a couple glasses of wine helps me to just let go a little bit. Definitely self medicating. I suppose more therapy or anti-depressants would do the same thing. At least I am getting a lot of self reflection from abstaining that's for sure.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
zjw

I knwo some have mentioned on this thread before there lives where fine there not alcoholics etc.. NO black outs no financial issues no unemployment due to alcohol abuse etc..

I was a meeting once and the one guy said something along the lines of we all have a lot of "not yets" I have not been arrested yet. I did not get a DUI yet. I did not black out YET. I have not missed the mortgage payment yet. etc..

I guess i got a lot of Not yets too. I have not yet gotten a DUI, I have not yet gotten arrested etc..

So while for all intensive purposes it may seem alcohol has not yet (ruined your life) be thankful for that. Thats awesome your so lucky. Heck I guess you could say it didnt ruin my life. If anything being an alcoholic has helped me in many ways at least the recovery aspect I've been able to use the skills aquired learning to remain sober to help me in many other areas of my life.

So if a lot of bad things have not yet happened dont take that as a sign of your not yet an alcoholic or you do not yet have a problem etc.. But rather be thankful that you do not yet have a problem along those lines. Sooner or later the story always ends the same if your an alcoholic etc.. They say you either sober up, get locked up, or covered up.

For me I got a lot of not yets. But i'm not going to use them as a license to keep on drinking. I'd prefer not to test my limits anymore.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

Point well taken. You are right. and.....Thank you.

Dono

Originally Posted by Jsober View Post
Good luck with your new drinking plan. I hope this post doesn't give some new comers any ideas. It is pretty easy for an alcoholic to believe in this thinking. I know I fell into the trap many times.
As for only having six beers. That is an unhealthy amount according to daily recommendations. Thats a lot in the eyes of a normie who will drink 1-3. It's not much to most alcoholics but it is enough to get in your head.
If you decide to go for abstinance and need help with that please let us know. But I hope you're not going to continue to post on how gear your drinking experiences are going. Sorry, I just think that is dangerous and irresponsible on these forums. And if they are going great there is no need to be in these forums anyway.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I used alcohol in a similar way Susan.

Hypocritical, if you do not mind me asking.

How do you use alcohol what is in it for you?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I find it really odd that someone feels the need to come to a newcomers forum and post about how they are not alcoholic and had six drinks in a day. I am coming to these boards after having had a very traumatic year because of my addiction, and I genuinely wonder if Hypocritical is trolling. Otherwise these continued posts don't make any sense to me. Why try to prove your drinking is normal (or even not "full alcoholic") to a bunch of alcoholics/alcohol abusers seeking mutual support?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by jkb View Post
I don't understand there is more than 3.2%...
yeah sorry screwed that up. there is more alcohol in total contained in that amount of beer than alcohol contained in that amount of vodka, either way other than elementary school word problem , why would this topic be relevant ? if drinking isn't a problem or concern why quibble over the acv of beverages?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

I would not, and did not post in a newcomers thread. BTW...I've seen much, much worse than my 6 beers posted. Much worse. And you're calling me a troll. Anyone with any forum experience would be smart enough to look back and see that they would be wrong. I don't expect it to make sense to you. As far as the thread count....I would have left it long ago if not for the need to defend myself against professional alcoholics.

Dono (done with this thread. Maybe I'll post again when I have some darkness in my life)

Originally Posted by roomsforall View Post
I find it really odd that someone feels the need to come to a newcomers forum and post about how they are not alcoholic and had six drinks in a day. I am coming to these boards after having had a very traumatic year because of my addiction, and I genuinely wonder if Hypocritical is trolling. Otherwise these continued posts don't make any sense to me. Why try to prove your drinking is normal (or even not "full alcoholic") to a bunch of alcoholics/alcohol abusers seeking mutual support?
Old 09-24-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
jkb

dwtbd,

you are right. Why am I thinking about this at all. It is a terrible idea. I KNOW I cant moderate anything.... uugghh.

Need to get this out of my head.

Jess
Old 09-24-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

You're right, you're just in the alcoholism forum. Well, I'm sorry you feel the need to be sarcastic here. I hope you stay well.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
quat

jkb
the longer you do not act on those thoughts, I bet the less they will pop up. Thoughts are just that thoughts, actions now they can be scary! Be well , practice good actions and the thoughts will get better too
wish you well
Old 09-24-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
zjw

Hypocritical keep in mind the advice we are all going to give or things we might say is biased most of us are alcoholics and are looking at your situation through that glass.

I couldnt go to a forum on say veganism and talk about he fabulous meat loaf i made the night before. It wouldnt go over well lol. Or go there and talk about moderatly eating meat it also wouldnt go over too well.

We are biased here. Moderate drinking or drinking normally didnt work for us thats all thats the glass we view all of this through too. Please dont take offense to it.

Regardless of if you have a problem or not its cool your here at the very least looking into it. Wish i would have done that much at least a lot sooner!
Old 09-24-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I do not think hypocritical had bad intentions.

I had benefit in reading some of the answers in this thread.

I think we should be careful not to conclude what motives people have for writing their posts even if some subjects are sensitive.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

i do not believe in the fearful way of living in the "yets", (oh those old AA sayings...you're eligible too) that's just more Doom and Gloom projected

...I live in the NOW.

OK Hyp, you were honest to post about your pool day and lack of feeling bad about it. You were very honest about your feelings, your drinking and it ruffles some feathers.
I don't think you are gloating at all, you are being accountable.

take your previous sober time and build on it....then you won't have to make an algorithm about alcohol %.

beautiful weather, have a fresh seltzer and squeeze fresh lemon or orange into it.

wish you the best, hope you will continue to post.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hypocritical View Post
Really? I believe your math is a bit off.
Well, 6 3.2% 12 ounce beers would equal 6 * .032 * 12 = 2.304 ounces of pure alcohol. 4 1.5 ounce shots of 40% (80 proof) vodka would equal 4 * .400 * 1.5 = 2.400 ounces of pure alcohol. Looks pretty close to me.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
zjw

geeze John44 I have not done math like that for alcohol content in just over 2 years now. your post triggered a craving for me ::facepalm::

Oh the days when money was tight and i'd go for the cheapest thing on the shelf that offered the best bang for my buck in alcohol content ::facepalm::