Notices

You know you are a recovering alcoholic if...

Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 346
When you wake up, your first thought is more inclined to be ""what can I do for someone else?", rather than what you can do for yourself

When the glass is half-full, not half-empty and certainly not filled with alcohol!
Quinne is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Member
 
Adillac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 138
Convincing an old friend over the phone that you will in fact remember this conversation...
Adillac is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO
 
Carlotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: WA
Posts: 7,764
When you see a poor soul drinking at the bus stop or under the bridge from a paper bag and your eyes tear up and you say:"Thank you God"
(It happened to me Saturday, a man who looked awfully beat down by life was smoking crack at the bus stop and instead of feeling indignant, I felt a wave of empathy and gratitude).
Carlotta is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO
 
Carlotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: WA
Posts: 7,764
When you don't drive as a choice to be eco friendly and save money rather than because you have a DUI or are afraid you'd get one.
Carlotta is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
you're on your third box of Sleepytime tea for the month!
This made me laugh! I've been going through this tea pretty quickly too. Seeing that sleeping bear on the box is so much better than seeing the words "Jack Daniel's" staring back at me.

Some other ones:
  • You have tried all of the herbal sleep remedies.
  • You know exactly the number of days that have passed since March 20, 2013 (or whatever your first day of sobriety started).
  • The smell of alcohol can trigger nausea.
  • Your tongue is nice and pink.
  • You own a small library of recovery books.
  • You check the ingredients list for foods and drinks to make sure that they don't include alcohol.

Thanks for creating this thread. It's nice to see how much we all have in common!
Chuck48 is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 27
You go for long runs on Sunday mornings.
Waterforme is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
DG0409's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,439
You are drinking milk from a beer mug.
DG0409 is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Member
 
WhiteFeathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 228
When you tell people you got "food poisoning" it is actually because you ate some funky sushi.
WhiteFeathers is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Member
 
BuddinK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 2,659
You don't have to clean up dog poop from by the door because you were able to get up and let the dog out instead of staying passed out.
BuddinK is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 86
You use your blender to make fresh fruit smoothies rather than frozen margaritas (for the first time ever).

When the sun wakes you up and you smile instead of scream.
dotboston is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
DG0409's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,439
You're about to finish a bottle... of vitamins!
DG0409 is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 4
You don't have to look at your recent calls on your cell phone in the morning to know who you talked to the night before.

You don't fall asleep at 8:30 on the couch.

You aren't scrambling to hide the empties in the trash.

You don't have to remember where you hid the booze bottle.
KissTheFrogs is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
DG0409's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,439
You actually shave your legs in the morning so you can wear shorts rather than feeling too tired and hungover to bother and just wearing pants most of the time cause you're embarrassed of your hairy legs.

You actually try to put together an outfit that looks half way decent rather than just being thankful you found something clean to put on or worse, just wearing half of yesterdays outfit! (Never the same shirt though, as it was always inexplicably drenched in sweat and gross.)

You start to feel better about yourself because you look better once you shave your legs and find decent clothes.
DG0409 is offline  
Old 06-28-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Member
 
WhiteFeathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 228
You know you're a recovering alcoholic when your child asks you to read them a story and then hands you the Big Book!
WhiteFeathers is offline  
Old 06-28-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Member
 
GracieLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,785
Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
You are drinking milk from a beer mug.
Drinking milk at all. I think I hid from it for years. Not sure why. I only used a tad bit in my morning coffee and that was it. Now I go through a gallon every two weeks because I am actually eating breakfast now.
GracieLou is offline  
Old 06-28-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 81
You wake up in the morning from a great nights sleep and thank god that you're not suffering from another hangover nor trying to piece together the events of the night before.
Halzuzu is offline  
Old 06-28-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Member
 
MentalRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 13
You feel comfortable in your own skin for the first time.
MentalRC is offline  
Old 07-07-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Member
 
JJames818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26
When deciding on what to eat, you ponder the nutrition and flavor of a meal...not "WILL IT MAKE ME VOMIT IN 3 MINUTES?".

When u bump into ur former liquor store cashier somewhere, and actually say HI and feel proud to not be a completely ashamed mess!

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
you're on your third box of Sleepytime tea for the month!
HA! What are ur favs? I'm trying to get into some nite-time sleep remedies, as thats when my cravings can hit.
JJames818 is offline  
Old 07-07-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
DG0409's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,439
Originally Posted by JJames818 View Post
When deciding on what to eat, you ponder the nutrition and flavor of a meal...not "WILL IT MAKE ME VOMIT IN 3 MINUTES?".

When u bump into ur former liquor store cashier somewhere, and actually say HI and feel proud to not be a completely ashamed mess!



HA! What are ur favs? I'm trying to get into some nite-time sleep remedies, as thats when my cravings can hit.
SleepytimeŽ Herbal Tea | Celestial Seasonings
DG0409 is offline  
Old 07-07-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
DG0409's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,439
Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
Drinking milk at all. I think I hid from it for years. Not sure why. I only used a tad bit in my morning coffee and that was it. Now I go through a gallon every two weeks because I am actually eating breakfast now.
I believe alcohol can make milk curdle. I don't think the two mix well in the tummy. I too avoided milk when I was drinking.
DG0409 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 PM.