Notices

I Drank After 11 Months.....

Old 04-26-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Veritas1 View Post
I follow the AA program, and I may be wrong...or word it wrong, but the relapse is not on us, but on king alcohol.

Alcohol decides for us.

Our alcoholism decides for us...our untreated alcoholism...
I'm not sure about this Veritas. I thought the BB put the onus on us the alcoholic and our spiritual condition. I found people in AA rarely blame alcohol itself. That tends to come from the physiological perspective in which if you drink enough alcohol you will become an alcoholic. Either way I think it's a bit irrelevant here. Why people relapse is less important than what they do about it.

Originally Posted by Justfor1
Why is it that I have to accept 100% of the blame? I'm surprised no one has asked me if I drove drunk yet. I'm sure if I continue to drink then that will eventually happen. A part of me just doesn't care anymore. I'm a unemployed drunk & drug addict. I have detoxed over 20+ times in hospitals the past 10 years. I've been incarcerated in county jail for months at a time. I think I not only hurt myself but society as a whole.
Just, your writing is spot on here so I am assuming you are not under the influence right now, or if you are you are still capable of being rational. It sounds to me as if you are making a conscious decision to drive drunk, or just give up. This is where the element of choice can come into it. Please fight back and work on your recovery. You are worth fighting for. Just think of how many other people your recovery could help when you are strong in your sobriety. You don't have to hurt anybody. If it seems like people are making you accept blame it is only because it will help you recover. No one got better by blaming their problems on other people. Please do the right thing for yourself x
Old 04-26-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Why is it that I have to accept 100% of the blame? I'm surprised no one has asked me if I drove drunk yet. I'm sure if I continue to drink then that will eventually happen. A part of me just doesn't care anymore. I'm a unemployed drunk & drug addict. I have detoxed over 20+ times in hospitals the past 10 years. I've been incarcerated in county jail for months at a time. I think I not only hurt myself but society as a whole.
Justfor1, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back on your horse. That's all ya can do. Rootin for ya.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Just, I hope you're feeling better today. It's like a bike race.... If you fall, you get back on where you fell. You haven't lost all of that ground. So you haven't lost all that you have learned in those 11 months.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Veritas1 View Post
I object to the "mind game" comment.

I haven't found that AA likes to say okay you are back to day 1.

It's not in the book I read.

Just because we hear people say things, doesn't make it part of the program of recovery.

If we drink...the first day sober is day one. Day one of a new period of sobriety...no mind game...just truth.
This is a very good point. The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous doesn't say many of the things you'll hear in meetings, sometimes by long time AA members who I'm sure mean well. It's important to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff. This is why it's so important to read the book for yourself.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Of course, I had money so I got served.
Well they can't really tell a customer how to spend (or not spend) their money.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
oak

Justfor1- you still have those 11 months sober. You still have the experience and knowledge of being sober. You have tried to get sober a lot- so something in you must really think it is important.

I've definitely many times thought I could not get sober or stay sober. Every time that I have relapsed, I tend to think that. I also tend to go to a deep shame place.

I have been very wobbly in sobriety lately. I get that it is hard. But I think it is possible.

I hope you stay sober (or get sober soon). I hope you keep posting, as we all know what shame feels like and we know what it is like to have a hard time stopping.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Just- I'm sorry to hear about your relapse and that you felt that drinking was the only answer. I think at this point its more important to pick yourself back and find different coping mechanisms than debate about blame.

You're obviously hurting but numbing yourself with alcohol only works for a little bit... and then all that other stuff that comes with drinking returns...It'll be easier to quit now than if you go on a long binge, its just makes it harder. 11 months tells me you are stronger than you think! You can do this!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

How you doing today JF1? I hope you are getting back on track. Please think back to all the great months of sobriety you had and the positive things you felt.

I understand there have been things that upset you like the limo license but you can't get where you are going without running through the woods first.

Hang in there Buddy.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
High on Life

Do you truly want to be sober or are you just trying to lessen the damage in your life? I'm starting to think it's the latter, because as you have stated previously you have been through this before many times, so none of this is new you. You were posting previously about how you could just drink for one day and go back to sobriety. I can't do that. Based on past experiences, once I pick up, I may not stop and I happen to like the way my life is going, so it's just not worth it. For you, for some odd reason, it is worth the risk. And I believe you like your 8-10 month binges, it seems to work for you, I guess.

So if you are truly not looking for sobriety, what are you looking for?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Justfor1;3935292]
Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Hi
Sorry you feel that powerless against your relapse. I bet you know it's nobody else's fault. But it was interesting to read you are feeling shaky this morning and you will resort to meds to help.

Of course I will resort to meds. I thought that was what they were for?? No, I even blame the bartender who knew I should not be drinking. She thought it was funny when I ordered a alcoholic drink. Of course, she realized her mistake after I was drinking in the bar for hours & getting loud. What about the fact that I have not been able to see a Dr.? I do not take 100% of the blame.
I don't usually weigh in on these kinds of threads but this retort is so foolish to me. The bartender is there to serve drinks. It is not up to them to review a medical history and have you fill out a gd consent form to consume alcohol. Hat was entirely up to you. I'd like to see what would have transpired had tht person who "knew better" actually refused to serve you. If I was going to relapse and didn't want to be stopped I would have gone to a bar where no one knew me. Seems to me like you wanted someone to try and tell you not to have a drink. Perhaps I'm wrong. Whatever your path I wish you the best.
Sorry just my 2 cents as a former bartender and alcoholic.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...head-time.html

This was posted on 4/23/13. I tried to help on 4/12/13 when you posted about thoughts of drinking, but you had your plan and you followed through on it. Meds or no Meds, you and only you can take action and control to change your thoughts when the urge strikes.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Well, I on day 2. I went back to the bar where I know the owner & told him what happened. Hopefully, she will get in trouble or fired for serving me. She knew I was a bad alcoholic & thought it would be funny to serve me I guess? Trying to get back on the sobriety wagon. Wish me luck.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sorry, but until you are ready to admit and you and only you are responsible for drinking, this will probably happen again. If you don't want a bartender to serve alcohol to you, then don't go to a bar. Simple, no?
Old 04-28-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
High on Life

Well, I on day 2. I went back to the bar where I know the owner & told him what happened. Hopefully, she will get in trouble or fired for serving me. She knew I was a bad alcoholic & thought it would be funny to serve me I guess? Trying to get back on the sobriety wagon. Wish me luck.
Oh, because somebody forced you to go to the bar. No, you knew you were a bad alcoholic and should have known to stay away from there. Stop trying to place the blame elsewhere but yourself!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I do wish you luck, but you can't blame the barmaid. There's only one person who makes the choice to put the drink to your lips and that's you. There are a million bars and liquor stores in the world and you can't ask them all to not serve you. It's your responsibility.

I'm not saying this to be unsympathetic, but just because there's going to be loads of times in your life when people offer you alcohol and so it's vitally important you learn to take full responsibility for abstaining, and don't put that responsibility on anyone else. Even after you've ordered a drink and it's sitting in front of you, you've still got the choice not to drink it and walk away.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I blame my abusive childhood, my first girlfriend, beer commercials, the local drug dealer ect... Why do I have to accept 100% of the blame? I was becoming a "big shot" at the local AA club & was going to be celebrating a year. I was cut off from my anti-anxiety meds & I self medicated. That is the main reason. I put the blame on the horrible "free" mental health clinic that I attend.
  # 77 (permalink)  
Living one day at a time

This disease is cunning, baffeling and powerful...if you let it it will consume you...if you stay on your pity pot it will stink...everyone has thought about or in my case relapsed but it's not falling down its having the strength to get upand change...as alkies we don't like chg but in order to arrest our disease it is necessary the change...
We all only have today so see if you can't stay sober today!!
  # 78 (permalink)  

I learned from AA, my sponsor that as long as I had reservations, I would drink again.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I picked up a drink. I tried to talk about how I was going in relapse & it just wasn't enough. This time around, I do not feel guilty at all for picking up. I feel it was my only choice. It was literally the choice between the booze or death. I place some blame on others for this relapse. From not having a Dr. appointment for 9months, sponser not returning calls, friends not listening ect... The world did not stop when I picked up a drink & the sun still rose today. Now the question I'm asking myself is should I give up recovery? I'm so tired of it all.
Not feeling guilty is actually a good point: if you are alcoholic, you drank because you are in the midst of active alcoholism -- that relapse started a long time before the physical part.

For an active drinker guilt leads to shame to drink. We've had enough of that. Right?

No one caused your illness, contributed to it, can't control it or can't cure it.

If I can come back from almost giving up the ghost 3 times from alcohol poisoning, hitting a train, and med. overdose -- I think you can too. I now live a wonderful damn near glorious life.

This time around try helping the other alcoholic to achieve sobriety. Try giving and helping instead of being lonely, isolated, and full of self-pity(all hallmarks of addiction)

May your recovery come swift and sure!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

that's the one to keep an eye on

I blame my abusive childhood, my first girlfriend, beer commercials, the local drug dealer ect... Why do I have to accept 100% of the blame? I was becoming a "big shot" at the local AA club & was going to be celebrating a year. I was cut off from my anti-anxiety meds & I self medicated. That is the main reason. I put the blame on the horrible "free" mental health clinic that I attend.
wow that's a lot of blaming going on
usually I can only blame myself
my Sponsor taught me early on in the program
it's the man that looks back at me in the mirror
that's the one to keep an eye on

onehigherpower