Notices

Could my Higher Power be MYSELF?

Old 08-20-2012, 02:13 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
JJK

lots of eastern religions/thoughts subscribe to this idea. you guys could careless about this persons sobriety/spiritual/life journey. only that they subscribe to your ****** watered down aa version of christian GOD.

oh, my bad. if ******* "bob r" said it, must be TRUTH.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

When I went to the Recovery Home in '89 the old priest told me I had a 5% drinking problem and a 95% thinking problem.

Then I came to AA and found alcohol only mentioned in the first half of the 1st Step and not again in the rest of the 12 Steps (~ 5% & 95%.)

Thinking that I was my Higher Power was exactly what got me into trouble and into recovery. I had to take the cotton out of my ears and stick it in my mouth and listen.

I'm only telling you what saved a poor suicidal, hopeless, helpless drunk.

I wish everyone the best.

Bob R
Old 08-20-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJK View Post
lots of eastern religions/thoughts subscribe to this idea. you guys could careless about this persons sobriety/spiritual/life journey. only that they subscribe to your ****** watered down aa version of christian GOD.

oh, my bad. if ******* "bob r" said it, must be TRUTH.
This is my opinion as a Christian: I think we have to get sober first before (consistently) practicing any ideals of love, honesty, charity...so whatever spiritual path or HP we need to start doing that, is what we need. I think if we can't be Christ-like which to me is embodying those kinds of principles also suggested by AA, then it doesn't matter what HP we have, it's all in folly.

If we can be sober and express those principles, but have doubts about Christianity, then I think God will be able to sort it out in the end and see who is at least being Christ-like, and who is not.

I used to be more intolerant of other spiritual paths, and thought being in AA was unfaithful to Christianity, and got a big resentment over it. And I got drunk and miserable. So I don't dwell on anyone subscribing to my version of God. Only that they find something as an HP, whether it is nature, AA group, or other, and that we all take Steps necessary to express positive principles of AA, as (also) found in various religions.

Remembering this is my view as a Christian, and not portraying the view of AA.