Notices

Does it work this way?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does it work this way?

After reading over threads and stories and so on, I have decided that I will get sober. And I have a plan in place. Just wondering if anyone has had success with planning a quit date. Mine is Sept 5th.

My reasons are that my kids are home for the summer, and we have a family gathering at the end of the month that I really don't want to miss.

With the kids, I think it will be easier with them in school. If I feel irritable or I have cravings, I can take the baby and go for a brisk walk, or do something with her to take my mind off things. Right now I can't do that because walking with kids in tow (instead of in a stroller) can be frustrating if you are trying to avoid frustration!

At the end of the month we have a family get together planned at the cabin. My kids are really looking forward to it and there will be drinking there. I know it will be really hard and I don't want to get irritated with the kids or others there because I can't drink. And I don't want withdrawal symptoms to take away from the weekend. We rarely get away.

Oh and another reason is that once the kids go back to school, its much easier to get a sitter. And it's very close to hunting season which I LOVE to do. So I can also spend nice days enjoying something I love and I have never, and will never, drink while hunting. That's just too far for me. Actually, I don't even think about drinking while I'm hunting. So that's a bonus.

Anyway, I'm just glad to have an end date. Does that make sense?

I just want to be able to avoid anything that might cause me to slip up.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I think when i was drinking my quit date was always in about 2 weeks time, that lasted for maybe 4 years.
I love deadlines, the sound of them as they fly past .
I was never ready to quit as there was always an excuse to keep on drinking untill the day when i quit and then there was no excuse to carry on making excuses.

Do what you need to do to quit and stay quit, good luck, M
Old 08-12-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The problem I have with making dates for quitting is that I rarely stick to them, and generally if I plan on quitting something in X days, I'll do more and more of whatever it is I'm trying to quit because I know that I'll be quitting it in the future... and probably, when that date comes, I won't quit anyway but just continue on, worse than I was before.

I don't know how you work so you may be completely different. But regardless, there's no time like the present. I can see that you wouldn't want to be in a bad mood when you go away... but do you really want to be drunk when you are away with your family, when like you said, you rarely get away? Wouldn't they enjoy it more if you were sober? Wouldn't you enjoy it more if you were sober? If you could remember it?

I'm not trying to be harsh here - please don't take this the wrong way. There will always be things coming up, however... always a date in the future that we can convince ourselves HAS to be done drunk. You will encounter many times in the beginning of recovery where you will find it hard to turn down drinks, where you will be irritable, etc. Postponing it to whatever date will not change that... it will always be an uncomfortable time.

I wish you all the best for Sept 5th, however, and hope it's the right time for you to get sober.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds perfectly logical to me. I planned ahead very carefully the last time I quit. I lost count of how many times I tried. But what I'm trying to say is I learned from my mistakes. I went out of my way to make sure to keep as few triggers as possible from happening. Especially the first couple weeks.
I wish you the best.
Fred
Old 08-12-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I kinda figured that it was an "excuse" approach. Damn that little voice in the back of my head!

But I have started cutting back and really thinking about how much I'm drinking. If that makes sense....

I say to myself - No beer before 3 pm today. And the the next day its no beer before 4. I'm really trying
Old 08-12-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't necessarily think it is an 'excuse' approach, but it is an approach that doesn't warrant doing anything right at this very moment, and gives us the feeling that we are doing something, when we actually aren't... which is actually quite a dangerous position to be in.

But cutting back is great, Habiba... you're going in the right direction. Moderation for me was impossible... but for lots of people cutting down to a certain point allows them to make the decision to quit completely. Is that your plan?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

LOL, my quit date was always the day after I did something really lame while drinking
Old 08-12-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

However you decide to do it is up to you. Perhaps use the time inbetween to further your plans for recovery. Think about stuff. My sobriety date happened by accident. Wish I'd put more in place :-)
Glad I have stopped now though :-)
If it's a horror show up to that date, use it to remind yourself how miserable life is drinking.
Good luck with it all whatver you choose :-)
Old 08-12-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, I needed the booze to forget what I had done the night before; on and on and on....
Old 08-12-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I think this plan has all entered into our minds. It sounds viable and we don't know any better. You discover it doesn't work after putting it into action a thousand times. This time it will work, yet again, it doesn't. That is the insanity of the beast. Acknowledging there is a problem and wanting to do something about it is the first step to quitting. You have made that and can move forward. Good luck...there is a solution.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsKing View Post
I don't necessarily think it is an 'excuse' approach, but it is an approach that doesn't warrant doing anything right at this very moment, and gives us the feeling that we are doing something, when we actually aren't... which is actually quite a dangerous position to be in.

But cutting back is great, Habiba... you're going in the right direction. Moderation for me was impossible... but for lots of people cutting down to a certain point allows them to make the decision to quit completely. Is that your plan?
Yes, I'm hoping that cutting back will make it easier. It's kind of my way of making progress. Kind of a message to myself that "See! You can actually do this!"

In the meantime, I've mad an appointment with my doc to discuss quitting too. I'm currently on a low dose of Paxil for mild anxiety/depression, so I want to make sure that I don't screw up my progress in that area as well.

Although I am ashamed to have to admit to my doc that I have a drinking problem....
Old 08-12-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Habiba,

I don't have kids, but my pop was an alcoholic, and it made my life very hard growing up. It seems really bad that I would drink after everything I went through growing up with an alcoholic. I didn't know how to be a good person, but I just knew i did not want to be like my pop. If your kids are there at all, you should stop now. I always thought every kid would love their parent no matter what, but somewhere down the road my love for my pop turned into pity and disgust I hope you never let that happen to you
Old 08-12-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Trust me - quitting alcohol will do nothing but WONDERS for depression and anxiety. I was in a pretty bad state mentally before I quit. REALLY bad. I still get the odd bout of anxiety and sometimes feel low, but who doesn't? It took quitting to make me realise that most, if not all, of my major mental issues were caused by alcohol.

Be honest with your dr - he or she will have heard it all before and will only be able to properly help if you are completely honest.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey there! We all do what we do until we cant do it anymore. Its good that you are thinking about it. The seed has been planted. We are here for you.
Your Doc is not here to judge. Your Doc is for help. Its alright to feel the shame and then let it go. Reaching out for help is the best thing that you can do.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I actually can't wait to quit. I dunno, I'm just looking forward to that date. I know setting a date has been an excuse for people, and maybe it won't work like I hope it will.

But I will quit. Come hell or high water, I will quit drinking. I quit smoking after 11 years, and I can do this too. I know I can.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

We are holding you to your date to quit
Old 08-12-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

9-15 right?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

maybe you should come back in the room when you are sober on that date?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MetalChick View Post
maybe you should come back in the room when you are sober on that date?
I'm "sober" right now. I have a plan to quit. I hope it works and I came here for help. This is what I read when looking into this room...

"Do you want to quit drinking? The Alcoholism forum is an open forum for those who want to stop or who have stopped drinking."

I thought I was in that category.

Sorry to waste your time. See you on Sept 6th
Old 08-12-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I thought you said Sept 15th- The 16th would be the day after-- but it you want to up it to the 6th that is good