Notices

Opinions or experience about AA

Old 08-08-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Blaming AA for failures is just as bad as thinking alcohol is the problem. Just sayin....
Old 08-08-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
THose high failure rates are the result of a combination of folks who try to stay sober on fellowship alone, folks who crap out on their step work or folks who are forced to come to AA before they are ready.
Fair enough, makes sense.

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
The success rate for people who actually work an honest and thorough program is higher than any other treatment to date.
Do you have data to support this statement.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Originally Posted by wheresthefun View Post
Fair enough, makes sense.

Do you have data to support this statement.
Spend time in the rooms its all around you
Old 08-08-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I have some data for ya. AA works 100 percent of the time for those who follow the suggestions 100 percent. The "Drive-Thru" or "Buffet" approach just doesnt cut it. I speak only from my own experience.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Innerchild View Post
Spend time in the rooms its all around you
Sorry, but I meant "hard" data. I'm not being anti-AA, just asking a question. I would never say any other method or program is better or worse, because I've never seen enough "hard" data to support such statements. Observation, in and of itself is not sufficient data to state a claim as fact.

Again, not being antagonistic, I come in peace.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Im sure there is hard data out there, but as mentioned above experience proves it. I have never met anyone who has thoroughly and honestly worked and continued to work the 12 steps go back out. The book says "rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path." I havent seen anyone who falls into that unfortunate category yet.

Statistics taken early on in AA history showed upwards of 75% success rates. That was when AA hadnt yet been watered down to the extent that it is now. Some central offices have kept track of sobriety chips were being sold. So they could compare how many desire chips to how many one year chips for example and have a loose idea of how many folks were sticking around for a year. Not the most accurate measurement, but gives a ball park figure.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I took the time to read your earlier thread
and my reply there still stands....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3468897

Wishing you all the best as you move forward
Welcome back to SR...
Old 08-08-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Read the stories in the BB they arent made up
Old 08-08-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Innerchild View Post
Read the stories in the BB they arent made up
Hell, read my story. LOL
Old 08-08-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Okay, okay, I give - you guys win.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wheresthefun View Post
Okay, okay, I give - you all win.
Its not about winning, its about being honest with yourself and discovering why you really drink/drug. You cant get the monkey off your back when you are the monkey. Just sayin...
Old 08-08-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Many alcoholics love to analyze everything I know I am one of them so I dont question it I just follow the steps and it works that is all that matters to me
Old 08-08-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

The Big Book gives clear cut directions on how to stay sober. "Rarely have we seen a person fail who has throughly followed our path "
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if anyone stays sober without AA because i am not with anyone 24/7, apart from me, who has quit drinking for an extended period of time...

I know AA works because it worked for me when nothing else would, so i'm certain that AA works:-)

Can't even say that AA wouldn't work for everyone because once again i am not with someone for 24/7 that has attended AA and it hasn't worked...i could only be sure that AA hadn't worked for them if i had seen their efforts with my own eyes and could read their mind so all this speculation is just super duper but my advice would be if you are a hopeless drunk then AA is defo worth a go!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post

changing the essence of who you are will get you there but is it really necessary?
I don't know... Is the essence of who we are make us alcoholic, or not?

Funny, I don't really feel like I have change my essence (I love that word, BTW, and all it's derivations...) so much as I have come to understand it. And can steer my self clear of self made problems, worries and anxieties, not all the time, progress not perfection, LOL.

But essence is a good word to apply. Is alcoholism essential? Not like it's necessary, but used as "it is our essence"... like high blood pressure... Hypertension, when there is no known cause, is call Essential Hypertension.

No cure for hypertension, not yet... it's essential, LOL
Old 08-08-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

The success rate for people who actually work an honest and thorough program is higher than any other treatment to date.
I am still looking for a citation for that statement.

AA works 100 percent of the time for those who follow the suggestions 100 percent.
By that rule, the suggestion 'Just quit drinking already' has the same success rate as AA. This is not a coincidence, because they do in fact have the same success rate.

Citations on request.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I am still looking for a citation for that statement.

By that rule, the suggestion 'Just quit drinking already' has the same success rate as AA. This is not a coincidence, because they do in fact have the same success rate.

Citations on request.
Yes, but are there clear cut directions on how to "Just quit drinking already"? AA gives a precise path to recovery. I have yet to meet anyone who has thoroughly followed that path and relapsed.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Lots of valid and good questions. I believe what it comes down to is handing my my own self to something else. Lets face it we are beaten down asking knowing we can't do it. So why not just trust the light switch to turn the lights on. Ok, there is work involved like paying the power bill, changing the light bulb but do we really have to know HOW it ALL works? Can we comprehend it? Maybe just maybe we fly at 200ft above the ground and unable to see the 60,000ft view. After all we are human.. We trust machines to fly.. I see look at planes and think that sucker is a big paperweight and shouldn't be able to fly yet it does.

People in AA, myself included aren't prefect. So being imperfect people conversations and ways of thinking might now be the same. Flowers smell different, food tastes different and so we humans who are from different times, places and backgrounds will be different.

The credit to oneself. Um.. Well, I did the work and trusted something other than myself that all will be ok. 20 years later I'm still sober. Now while I acted or didn't act I trusted God(in my case).

More will be shown to us but just like reading the book the inside and back cover doesn't tell all..

AG

Originally Posted by dgajdusek View Post
Hi, everyone. I have been in and out of AA for 4 years now. I hate that I can't stick to it.. and I'm not bashing AA or downing AA, because I want to be able to commit to it.. but for some reason my mind finds ways to always question AA. I think AA is great for people who don't want to feel alone and have a sense of support.. but some things really bother me sometimes. And here are a few things.. and please do not get offended, I just want advice on how to perceive AA more positively, because the truth is.. I'm tired of drinking and I do not want to do it anymore.. so here's my list.. and please give me honest feedback..

1) The Third Step:

I have no problem admitting I have a problem over alcohol.. I just don't understand how to give your life over to God.. does this mean I do not have control over my life anymore? Isn't this more like having an external focus of control instead of an internal focus of control? I learned that it was better to have an internal locus of control, and people who do are more sucesssful.. This step confuses me.. also being agnostic does not help because I feel like I'm telling an imaginary friend to help me to stop drinking. Also I don't like knowing I have NO control at all.. I understand we can't control everything.. but we do have some control of things.

2) The Hardcore AAers:

I like that some people are passionate about their sobriety.. but some people can sound like they are self-righteous.. is AA the ONLY way to recover? It's 2012.. how come people bash any other way of treating alcoholism?

3) The pettyness:

Sometimes meetings people seem to bicker over such pettyness.. many people in AA don't even seem really happy

4) Not giving credit to yourself:

How come it's frowned upon to give yourself a pat on the back for staying sober? I understand you got help, but realistically it was YOU that got yourself sober.. right?

5) Self esteem:

I understand ego can be destructive.. but some people continuously bash themselves.. saying "yeah I'm not smart" or "don't let be in control or I'll screw it up" or "I have to do the opposite of what I think"... is it not okay to have confidence? Eventually I want to be confident again.. not cocky.. but have a healthy self-esteem.. doesn't this type of talk prevent it?

I love AA for a lot of things also.. I think it's great moral support.. and some things such as learning acceptance, helping others, and the common feeling amongst people is great and that's way I do not want to feel this way.

Again, please don't take offense to what I'm saying.. because I want help.. and I don't want to think of AA in a negative way.. it's just this stuff continuously bothers me when I'm back in AA.. if anyone has opinions or any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.. thank you :-)
Old 08-08-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

How is thoroughness measured? It sounds like if there is a relapse, then that is proof that the path was not thoroughly followed.

I have yet to meet anyone who has thoroughly followed that path and relapsed.
There are lots of people right here at SR that fit your criterion.

AA is a wonderful way for people, alcoholic or not, to have a deeper spiritual life. Some of these other claims are a little curious tho.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

"Just quit drinking already" just aint enough. The problem is "internal" so just quitting doesnt fix anything. Its kind of like putting a band-aid on a bullet hole, you are gonna bleed out eventually. Just sayin...