Notices

Milk Thistle?

Old 08-08-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Milk Thistle?

Apparently this herb has been used for thousands of years to treat the kidneys, gall bladder, and especially the liver. It has been said that it helps it detoxify and rebuild itself and some non-using alcoholics use it to help repair the damage they've done to their liver during their years using. Some use it for hepatitis and cirrhosis. Some studies have shown that Milk Thistle works, and some studies have shown that it doesn't. Has anyone tried it with any results or have any opinions or information? I'm trying to stay on top of my health.

Also, Happy Sober Wednesday, everyone!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I tried it for several years near the end of my drinking days. I have no idea whether it helped or not but my liver was in perfect shape when I had blood done right after I quit.

My guess though is that I always ate right regardless of the drinking I did and genetics may have also been on my side.

I tend to think like most supplements they are a placebo intended to make money and we always believe them don't we?
Old 08-08-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always advise folks to check with their Dr before starting any supplement.
Whats worked for others may not be suitable for you & and your medical circumstances.

D
Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mayo clinc website says evidence for efficacy isn't good but many people advocate it.I was surprised when my helatologist said be transplanted someone last year with suspected milkthistle toxicity so all drugs/nutriceuticals have the potential for the odd idiosyncratic reactions - these tend to happen very quickly
David
Old 08-08-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I tried taking it and had a major allergic reaction. Rashes on upper body and face. Studies I read said no known allergies due to its all natural, but that was not my case. I also have Stage 4 liver disease along with gastric bypass, which makes me intolerant to a ton of foods and supplements.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

It’s no accident (IMO) that coffee is a staple at AA meetings. It has recently been shown to have protective properties for the liver (not to mention a host of other benefits). Here is some info. -----> Health effects of coffee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-08-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been working in the wellness industry for many years. I am a vitamin/ herb seller. As with all herbs and vitamins the shoe does not fit everyone. I personally take Milk thistle and dandelion for its cleansing properties. I can't tell you if it has done anything for my liver because I haven't had any tests done before and after. Milk thistle is one of the herbs that people use for daily maintenance. Everything that goes into the body is processed by the liver. Everything.
A person can overdue it though. Taking the recommendation on the bottle is necessary. I'm all for it.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'll see what my doctor thinks. Better safe than sorry. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. It can't help to try to better your body.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have some milk thistle tea at home, that I have been wanting to try, but haven't yet. I am a big fan of supplements...been taking them since I was a teenager, including dialy B-Complex.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I took it for years and finally got my bloodwork done and it was as expected with high liver enzymes. I eventually stopped taking it (as well as largely cut down on my alcohol intake) and my next test came back pretty much normal.

It's hard to say if it actually works or not, was I just wasting cash all those years on it? would it have been worse if I wasn't on it? Can't say the answer and most the testing out there I've seen is inconclusive at best.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
I'll see what my doctor thinks. Better safe than sorry. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. It can't help to try to better your body.
Excellent plan CM....

Always wise before jumping into any drastic changes
Be both safe and sober.