Notices

Thought I had it beat - can't quit!

Old 07-20-2012, 03:17 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I know a guy he's a great father has a crappy house crappy cars 3 kids. Happy as a clam and a good father. I said geeze i've got what i got which is much more then him and i'm a miserable soul. Whats wrong with me? Perspective has a lot to do with it.

I met another guy rides up on a bicycle. Says he just got done seeing his daughter. HIm and his wife split up he's homeless all he has is that bike. I said wow gosh thinking about my troubles I thought he has way worse then me poor guy. He says but i'm happy he says i dunno where bottom is but i aint hit yet tonight i'm gonna sleep under the stars and it'll be great.

I was out for a walk went to my neighbor i was having a bad day probs probs probs. First thing i did was tell the neighbor about my prob to which he tells me his wife broke her hip and was in the hospital he was all broken up. I felt really bad even mentioning my problem to him cause my problem was nothing compared to his.

Someone told me one time i sound like an idiot I'm like the guy who's complaining i dont like my shoes to the guy who doesnt have any feet.

Perspective makes a big difference.
I tend to do the same thing, and whenever I do, I find the person I am complaining to is worse off than me. Perspective may come when I stay sober for a while. I have a lot more than a lot of people have, but I don't know how to enjoy them. Today I am waiting for my grandchild to be picked up early, then I am going back to bed - This is not living....I need to get out and do something, but what? Too hot to walk, no gas for a drive, so I sit...
Old 07-20-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

You love your family very much. Placing your family in your current financial situation causes you pain and guilt. I'm learning to let go of guilt...it was an intricate part of why I "numbed" myself.

Remain sober. What's for dinner tonight? Do you need ingredients from the store? Have you placed your guitar in your grandchild's hands? Remain sober.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
zjw

I'll do some of the dumbest things to pass the time. I got an old CB radio and an antenna for next to nothing at a junk shop that brought me hours of tinkering fun accomplishing absolutly nothing. My wife thinks i'm insane but it brought a smile to my face and memories of the days when i had one and used to talk to truckers etc... One trucker sung a song on it now i got the whole family singen that stupid song haha.

I'll clean things that dont even need to be cleaned or polish stuff just for the heck of it. I'll turn the compost pile again. I've read ions of books. And heck scouring the internet for information is a more productive use of anyones time then drinking and feeling bad is.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
You love your family very much. Placing your family in your current financial situation causes you pain and guilt. I'm learning to let go of guilt...it was an intricate part of why I "numbed" myself.

Remain sober. What's for dinner tonight? Do you need ingredients from the store? Have you placed your guitar in your grandchild's hands? Remain sober.
I have plans to food shop. I not only placed my guitar in her hands, but got her one for Christmas 2 years ago - she isn't too interested yet, but I always sing to her the song Michelle by the beatles. It makes her very happy - It's me that's a mess right now. I will conquer the drinking part, but I don't know how to deal with the guilt and making things better for our futire. If you don't think about the future, you'll never be able to change the direction you are heading - maybe I am wrong?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'll do some of the dumbest things to pass the time. I got an old CB radio and an antenna for next to nothing at a junk shop that brought me hours of tinkering fun accomplishing absolutly nothing. My wife thinks i'm insane but it brought a smile to my face and memories of the days when i had one and used to talk to truckers etc... One trucker sung a song on it now i got the whole family singen that stupid song haha.

I'll clean things that dont even need to be cleaned or polish stuff just for the heck of it. I'll turn the compost pile again. I've read ions of books. And heck scouring the internet for information is a more productive use of anyones time then drinking and feeling bad is.
I do the same thing - I used to be a big CB fan when it was the thing to do - Right now I am not drinking, but I feel that a priority for me is to get productive and earn SOMETHING. My mind is mixed up right now. I drank for 45 years with a stretch of sobriety of about 12 years in between. That's a lot of drinkin'
Old 07-20-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Would you be able to give guitar lessens for money on the side? I know that might not be a lot of money, but maybe enough to do some things on the weekend with your wife. Maybe there are other financial opportunities/things you could do from home to earn money.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MetalChick View Post
Would you be able to give guitar lessens for money on the side? I know that might not be a lot of money, but maybe enough to do some things on the weekend with your wife. Maybe there are other financial opportunities/things you could do from home to earn money.
I thought about that long and hard, and even tried putting ads in local papers, but this town is so rural, that it didn't take off - I am also a good photographer, but that also failed. Very small town. Lots of farmers. My wife is easy to please. Sometimes we just go to a free museum and shoot some pictures, or visit local shops to browse. Of course, they all offer free wine/beer tasting LOL!!! I really shouldn't complain too much about finances right now. I panic about the future. That's where I am making my mistake. We have enough to meet bills and more. We do go out once in a while and she is happy with that. I think it's more the feeling of guilt that I have. The feeling that my disease, my disability, put the family in the shape it is in. I don't feel secure, but then again, who in life really does? Thanks for the input - I will never stop trying!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

My alcoholism got so bad that I had to go to AA for recovery.

All the best Joe.

Bob R
Old 07-20-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
My alcoholism got so bad that I had to go to AA for recovery.

All the best Joe.

Bob R
Hi Bob - AA is a great place for most. I have tried it and found that no matter what - if I wanna drink - I will. Now it has come down to a health issue. Physically feeling sick and mentally screwed up, at least for now.

I have to find peace within myself and be thankful for all I have today, because tomorrow may never come. Peace to you Bob!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I thought I was losing my mind for the first couple of months. After six months it got much easier. I'm now almost to nine months and I still want a beer sometimes but at this point you'd have to knock me out and pour it down my unconscious mouth to get me to drink. Just remembering how much I hated my own drinking--the hangovers, the shame, the BS--keeps me on the straight and narrow.

I have always been nuts for music and I have found it to be very therapeutic.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

hey Joe?

You've seen what all there is to be grateful for. Is there a chance you're thinking yourself to death? You and that grandbaby can hang outside, watch funny stuff online....she gets one-on-one time with the most awesome grandpa ever, in her eyes. We see things way differently from others.

I get really down on myself a lot too, when my son's seizures are bad and when it's too hot to go out anywhere (and lifting him into the car? UGH! Heavy paralyzed kid!) But...talking with sober people whose lives surprised them with disability generally reminds me that we get other super cool stuff. I still get angry at my mental illness, at my kid's illness, at stupid people who ask what's wrong with me that he's disabled...and then I think "Wow. I don't have to get drunk at you folks, and I'm so glad I don't have to hang out with insensitive people."

Congrats on your two days! It's a good thing.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
I thought I was losing my mind for the first couple of months. After six months it got much easier. I'm now almost to nine months and I still want a beer sometimes but at this point you'd have to knock me out and pour it down my unconscious mouth to get me to drink. Just remembering how much I hated my own drinking--the hangovers, the shame, the BS--keeps me on the straight and narrow.

I have always been nuts for music and I have found it to be very therapeutic.
Thanks Gaffo! I'll get there. Just got back from the store and got stuff to make pork stir fry - get back to my cooking and guitar and nothing will stop me. As I stated - I would love to earn some money other than disability just to prove to myself I am not a waste of time. Peace!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hmmmm.....pork stir fry....you're making me hungry Sounds like you enjoy cooking.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
Hmmmm.....pork stir fry....you're making me hungry Sounds like you enjoy cooking.
I do love cooking - I figured it might be a good way to keep my mind occupied by getting back to what I enjoy. :-)
Old 07-20-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
zjw

I make bread and cookies well and lot of other things too. But the bread and the cookies are the main theraputic ones i do. Fresh bread gets everyone in this house happy and fast same with a bazillion cookies cause dad went nuts again.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I make bread and cookies well and lot of other things too. But the bread and the cookies are the main theraputic ones i do. Fresh bread gets everyone in this house happy and fast same with a bazillion cookies cause dad went nuts again.
Bread baking is a favorite of mine also. In Virginia they don't know how to bake a decent Italian loaf. Just good sourdough here which I also like
Old 07-20-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Not useful?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where did you get that one from?

Your deluded my friend.

If you look after a child everyday, you must be one of the most useful people I know!
Gosh that's one of the hardest jobs in the whole world! i think it's also one of the most pleasure giving jobs, but it's hard work.

How awesome your grandchild gets to see her Grandad everyday?
Some kids never even get to meet their grandparents due to a variety of circumstances, let alone spend stacks of time together.

i think your a pretty special guy really. you just don't realise it cos your knee deep in regret and worry.

Get out in the frsh air and start exploring our world with your little travel companion - most of it is free!

xx
Old 07-20-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
Not useful?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where did you get that one from?

Your deluded my friend.

If you look after a child everyday, you must be one of the most useful people I know!
Gosh that's one of the hardest jobs in the whole world! i think it's also one of the most pleasure giving jobs, but it's hard work.

How awesome your grandchild gets to see her Grandad everyday?
Some kids never even get to meet their grandparents due to a variety of circumstances, let alone spend stacks of time together.

i think your a pretty special guy really. you just don't realise it cos your knee deep in regret and worry.

Get out in the frsh air and start exploring our world with your little travel companion - most of it is free!

xx
Thanks Sasha for opening my eyes just a little bit more - Drinking sux. It has destroyed my way of thinking - but I am working hard to fight back - still sober!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

For what it's worth, I was raised mostly by my grandparents because both my parents were working when I was very small.

I remained very attached to them because of that. I also definitely don't think they were useless. At all.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Honestly - I have a 2 year old and i am about an hours drive from my parents.

She goes to day care and while she enjoys it, there are some days when she might be tired or clingy or a bit unwell, and I wish more than anything my mum and dad were 2 mins away so she could go be looked after by them.

I always say to my friends - when you have chidren yourself you realise how much you need your parents. They are invaluable.

Keep going my friend, the battles not over xx