Notices

Thought I had it beat - can't quit!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Blues I thing it is so kind of you to help raise your Granddaughter. That is indeed a wonderful thing. About money: how much did you used to spend a week on booze? Since you won't be doing that now... consider it a raise that you are contributing.

Finally, you can't control the future and there are probably enough things to worry about just in today. Try to stay in the moment and be too worried about tomorrow.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by Bluesman1952 View Post
I thought I had this beast beat, but I stumbled and fell once again.

Deep, dark depression, panic and anxiety after a night of beer.

I can't even get one day of sobriety in anymore. I give up!
Never, ever give up giving up. Fight the good fight with ALL your might.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Drinking sux. It has destroyed my way of thinking
Not destroyed; just distorted. At least that's what happened to me. It changed how I viewed myself, others, life, the world—you name it. And not for the better. Not surprising when you think about it, since an alcoholic's drug of choice is classified as a depressant, and a potent one at that.

Addiction's warped thinking is also what kept me drinking for so long. It convinced me alcohol was a cure to my problems, a way to relax, to escape. Such baloney. But that's what I believed. I thought living sober would be a struggle—but it was all just part of the great big lie that the addictive voice fed me.

I'm really grateful that I didn't give up. I'm sure you will be, too.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Bluesman1952 View Post
AA is a great place for most. I have tried it and found that no matter what - if I wanna drink - I will.

So my question is---What’s going to make you not want to drink?..... and what’s going to make you not want to drink for the long haul?

I have to ask you, when you went to AA did you take the steps? If you only went to meetings then you were not truly working the AA program. Many who do the steps say they no longer have a desire to drink. I guess I am concerned that without working some proven method of recovery…. or at least some combination of methods, your chances, (again over the long haul) diminish.

You have one major advantage over many who come to AA. You say you don’t have a problem with God. You say that your “drinking is like slapping God in the face for giving me talent of music, and me throwing it away”. I’d like to see you succeed, for yourself, for your family, and for those who will one day enjoy your music.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Thanks to all again - Sorry it took so long to get back but somehow my Internet provider blocked this web site and I had to call Tech support - That was NOT easy for me to do since this is personal stuff Haha!

Anyway - I am still struggling - slips here and there and feeling like c*ap.

Somehow I feel I can't do this. Somehow I feel like I am not wanting to "be" anymore. Last year I put it down no problem, and now I can't stop
Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi Bluesman!

I feel your pain and frustration. The first few days/weeks can be the hardest when trying to stop active addiction. We at AllAboutAddiction have been through the nightmares you are experiencing ourselves. But we want to make sure you know that there is hope! We’ve been in your shoes and can assure you that now is NOT the time to give up!

One of the things that really made a difference for us was getting professional help. If you need help finding the treatment that is right for you, we have a helpful Rehab Finder available on our website that you can use to find the perfect fit to assist you on your path to sobriety. It doesn’t cost anything, and we don’t get a cut or anything for people who use it – we made it to help others who are experiencing what we went though.

Right now, UCLA is even participating by doing a study using our Rehab-Finder and people that participate can get free help while also earning up to $90 for answering questions! I really hope you find your way and that we hear from you soon telling us you’ve made the changes you want to make.

All the best,
A3!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AllAboutAddict View Post
Hi Bluesman!

I feel your pain and frustration. The first few days/weeks can be the hardest when trying to stop active addiction. We at AllAboutAddiction have been through the nightmares you are experiencing ourselves. But we want to make sure you know that there is hope! We’ve been in your shoes and can assure you that now is NOT the time to give up!

One of the things that really made a difference for us was getting professional help. If you need help finding the treatment that is right for you, we have a helpful Rehab Finder available on our website that you can use to find the perfect fit to assist you on your path to sobriety. It doesn’t cost anything, and we don’t get a cut or anything for people who use it – we made it to help others who are experiencing what we went though.

Right now, UCLA is even participating by doing a study using our Rehab-Finder and people that participate can get free help while also earning up to $90 for answering questions! I really hope you find your way and that we hear from you soon telling us you’ve made the changes you want to make.

All the best,
A3!
Just can't understand it - Last year the doc told me I had to lose weight, so I put down booze and started eating right and exercising. I went from June to November sober, dropped 35 pounds, then fell off the wagon on my son's birthday - Now I can't seem to go without it for more than a day. I have professional help but refuse the meds. It's up to ME to make this happen. Don't know what to do. Rehab is out of the question. I have too many responsibilities here. I leave, and everything falls apart. I'll keep trying, but this is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do. I don't even like it anymore - I just drink to hide issues around me.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

Oh never give up! Boy do I hear you. I have picked up so many times after I swore I wouldn't. But I keep going to meetings. I'm also in private counseling so I'm praying that one of these days it will stick.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glasscat View Post
Oh never give up! Boy do I hear you. I have picked up so many times after I swore I wouldn't. But I keep going to meetings. I'm also in private counseling so I'm praying that one of these days it will stick.
My prayers to you Glasscat. We both need them. I am ashamed of myself!
Disease or not - if it were cancer God forbid, I WOULD get the needed help -