SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Thought I had it beat - can't quit! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/262858-thought-i-had-beat-cant-quit.html)

Bluesman1952 07-18-2012 01:32 PM

Thought I had it beat - can't quit!

I thought I had this beast beat, but I stumbled and fell once again.

Deep, dark depression, panic and anxiety after a night of beer.

I can't even get one day of sobriety in anymore. I give up!:c004:

dawnie24 07-18-2012 01:36 PM

we can beat this
ive been having anxiety attacks all day coz i was stupid and had a 3 litre bottle of cider with blackcurrent juice.. i feel guilty

Bluesman1952 07-18-2012 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by dawnie24 (Post 3494433)
we can beat this
ive been having anxiety attacks all day coz i was stupid and had a 3 litre bottle of cider with blackcurrent juice.. i feel guilty

Don't feel guilty - if you have the will to quit - you will quit

I have tried and failed so many times, I give up. I have no purpose here where I am. Long story - without booze I cry - with booze I am happy till it wears off, then I cry harder.

zjw 07-18-2012 01:41 PM

Yep it can be done. and Once it is things turn around for the better. It is stinken hard but if ions of people can do it you can too. When i struggle to remain sober I think about all the accomplishments I do have and how if i was able to this one and that one remaing sober cant be that hard if not just for 1 min or 1 hour or 1 day it adds up and next you know your looking back saying wow i've been sober for a week a month a year a decade etc..

Keep trying sooner or later it does stick.

dawnie24 07-18-2012 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bluesman1952 (Post 3494441)
Don't feel guilty - if you have the will to quit - you will quit

I have tried and failed so many times, I give up. I have no purpose here where I am. Long story - without booze I cry - with booze I am happy till it wears off, then I cry harder.

i really want to quit.

ive tried so many times too and failed, please dont give up you can do this
you do have a purpose to be here otherwise you wouldnt of been born
sometimes i cry when im sober esp day after drink coz i cant cope

Sudz No More 07-18-2012 01:45 PM

Keep on keeping on Man, that's all we can do. Start over and try to jump higher the next time you hit a hurdle. Not easy, I know as I keep clipping the top too but I'm still going to try and make it over the next one.

zjw 07-18-2012 01:45 PM

You have to ask yourself how badly do you want it? how badly do you want sobriety? Think of something you've wanted in the past you wanted it so bad that you worked very hard for it. saved up read about it thought about it finally the day came you worked hard you had the money and where able to get it you wanted it bad. If you want to feel better if your present situation has you angry enough then put up the struggle for sobriety then. Either way your struggling. The difference is if you struggle for sobriety and win there is a whole new awesome life waiting for you. It will nto always be a cake walk but believe me its better.

Bluesman1952 07-18-2012 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by zjw (Post 3494458)
You have to ask yourself how badly do you want it? how badly do you want sobriety? Think of something you've wanted in the past you wanted it so bad that you worked very hard for it. saved up read about it thought about it finally the day came you worked hard you had the money and where able to get it you wanted it bad. If you want to feel better if your present situation has you angry enough then put up the struggle for sobriety then. Either way your struggling. The difference is if you struggle for sobriety and win there is a whole new awesome life waiting for you. It will nto always be a cake walk but believe me its better.

I want it bad - I did it last year when my DR told I needed to lose weight - I quit beer, ate great, exercised, and lost 35 pounds and felt awesome. Then the holidays came around and I fell back in - now, I wake up wanting to die, but at around 4 o'clock, all feels good again, so I get a 12 pack. Very sad - I have shakes - can't play guitar anymore....

CarolD 07-18-2012 02:04 PM

Please call your doctor and ask about how best to de tox.
It's the best thing to do....:yup:

Bluesman1952 07-18-2012 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by CarolD (Post 3494498)
Please call your doctor and ask about how best to de tox.
It's the best thing to do....:yup:

I did - he said to get a week of sobriety under my belt LOL!!!
The he gave me a script for wellbutrin which I cannot tolerate.

I feel like the born loser

Live2Run25 07-18-2012 02:09 PM

Bluesman! You can do this. Nice guitar in the picture, Looks like a Goldtop Les Paul! I bet it's your passion to play guitar, isn't it? Get up on the wagon and stay off the booze. I know it's hard, but you can do it. You HAVE to do it. For us, it's the only thing we can do. I'm rooting for you. you CAN do it.

defense 07-18-2012 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by dawnie24 (Post 3494433)
we can beat this

Thought i was the only one who got them anxiety things....

Dee74 07-18-2012 02:59 PM

Don't give up Bluesman :)

If you're like me, you'll remember when you first took up guitar - I remember listening to records and trying to decipher blues licks...Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon, Peter Green, Clapton...then trying to make my fingers follow my ear...

It took a while...it hurt, I made mistakes, I got some help from people who knew their stuff...

I kept at it because I saw the man, the musician, I wanted to be.

See the man you want to be - do whatever you need to get help, Bluesman - AA or some other group, see a Dr, rehab, counselling...whatever it takes...

you can do this :)

D

Bluesman1952 07-18-2012 03:05 PM

Thanks to all of you who posted - It is a Gold top Les Paul- I have many more collectibles to play - This has been an inspiration to me. I am feeling a bit guilty right now, but in the morning, I am going to go back on the meds my doc gave me and put this to rest ONCE AND FOR ALL - I hate to bring God into this for those who may not believe, but my drinking is like slapping God in the face for giving me talent of music, and me throwing it away - NOT gonna happen - I play a LOT like Eric Clapton - I took lessons from him at one point. Thank you for opening my eyes!!!!

CarolD 07-18-2012 03:23 PM

Prayers coming your way for clairty and healing...:hug:

Bluesman1952 07-18-2012 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by CarolD (Post 3494642)
Prayers coming your way for clairty and healing...:hug:

Thank you Carol!!! Prayers mean more to me than you know -
I am sober tonight for the first time since when I posted back in March I think it was.......:-):a122:

zjw 07-18-2012 05:21 PM

"I want it bad - I did it last year when my DR told I needed to lose weight - I quit beer, ate great, exercised, and lost 35 pounds and felt awesome. Then the holidays came around and I fell back in - now, I wake up wanting to die, but at around 4 o'clock, all feels good again, so I get a 12 pack. Very sad - I have shakes - can't play guitar anymore...."

So you fell off the wagon Big deal just get up and try again. Everyone falls down makes mistakes etc.. Your so lucky you've had a taste of what it is your after. You know how cgood you can feel you've felt it. Focus on that. Dont dwell on your mistakes and falling off the wagon. WE all have reasons to drink. We all have piles and piles of guilt we can pour on ourselves the crappy thing is neither of those 2 things will keep us Sober.

You can do it.

LosingmyMisery 07-18-2012 06:40 PM

I know you've got crazy talent. You will continue to play. You can beat this and continue with your passion for music. If you can't tolerate the meds have the Dr try something else. There has to be something out there that can help without making you feel bad. Another consideration, if you are drinking while on the meds, alcohol will interfere with them and they won't be effective. My best to you. You can do this.

Bluesman1952 07-19-2012 03:13 AM

Thanks again to all - very bad night last night - shakes - cold sweats - tears - no sleep - Today I feel like my head is filled with ice or something - Hate this....

MrsKing 07-19-2012 03:16 AM

It will get easier, Bluesman... stay strong.