Notices

Here I go again?

Old 11-05-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
How are you today, Tobo?

That in-fighting in your head is common and is really the definition of being addicted. AVRT defines it as the AV, and it is exactly as you are describing.

YOU have the power to use every resource available to you to make sure that you do not use alcohol or drugs.

When you finally gain control back from the AV (and you will), you will see the lies it tells and you won't go back there. The real you is trying to get out from under the addicted you. Keep fighting.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:49 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Do not drink, to get what you want, you have to learn to party without poison in your blood stream. The reward? Your life back. Or drink and feel shix and eventually die of it, while slowly destroying your life. Roll the dice if you can't choose which one you want, but isn't that a bit risky?
Old 11-16-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Hard to believe I started this thread in 2012 and I'm still struggling with everything. I don't know what to do
Old 11-16-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Tobo, sorry to hear you are still struggling. I would counter your question about "not knowing what to do" and ask you what you have been doing to help with your sobriety. Have you been following any sort of plan? Have you attended any type of treatment or therapy? Have you been reading/using SR on a daily basis? There's a lot of things that CAN be done.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome back Tobo, sorry to hear you are still struggling. I would counter your question about "not knowing what to do" and ask you what you have been doing to help with your sobriety. Have you been following any sort of plan? Have you attended any type of treatment or therapy? Have you been reading/using SR on a daily basis? There's a lot of things that CAN be done.

I haven't been doing anything for sobriety the past 2 years. I've been "controlling" my drinking and trying to minimize the damage. In some ways I've improved, in other ways it's the same. I got blacked out yesterday and did something hurtful to my GF. Now I may lose her and things will get very bad
Old 11-16-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Tobo View Post
I haven't been doing anything for sobriety the past 2 years.
I'd say go read through your entire thread, I'm sure the suggestions you were given still apply.

Then again, maybe it's time to start fresh. Day one. Start a new thread stating your commitment to stop drinking. Forever. And open yourself to the suggestions to get. Your way wasn't working. If you want to get sober and stay that way, you are going to have to be willing to endure some discomfort and change thing up in a way that's going to shake you up.

Good luck.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

I don't know what to do
Sounds like, quit? Or are you asking how? Sounds like you've tried a variety of things over the past couple years, but just because something didn't work before doesn't mean it can't work. Ultimately just about anything works if you're motivated to quit, but nothing will work for long if you don't really want to quit. Sometimes we have to crash and burn before we find that motivation, but hopefully we see that coming and want to avoid it so much that that becomes our motivation.

Have to tried an intensive outpatient program, like daily or a few times a week? Are there other support group options than AA available locally, since you've tried AA at least a couple times? Smart, perhaps?
Old 11-16-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I haven't been doing anything for sobriety the past 2 years. I've been "controlling" my drinking and trying to minimize the damage. In some ways I've improved, in other ways it's the same. I got blacked out yesterday and did something hurtful to my GF. Now I may lose her and things will get very bad
If you haven't been doing anything then it's probably time to do something, no? Alcoholics cannot control their drinking. As you've witnessed yesterday, the consequences and "damage" always get worse - never better. There's a lot of good advice here in this thread, but i'd agree with Carl - maybe you just need to start a new one and make today the day you start doing something?
Old 11-17-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with Carl

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 11-18-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you're struggling but keep hope alive