Notices

Here I go again?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Tobo, one thing I can tell you from experience is that when you're stuck in the middle it's almost like you have 2 scripts or programs running in your brain at the same time. One wants to quit and the other wants to drink. When your sick in withdrawal the want to quit program takes over your CPU (brain), as soon as you feel great again the want to drink program starts to run in full force. That's why quitting with just books can be incredibly hard.

When I finally threw in the towel I had completely worn out my want to drink program but it took me almost 3 decades to do that. Langkah is 100% correct in that having actual flesh and blood people to deal with could make all the difference in the world. It might be a hassle to have to go to meetings but if it saves your life is it not worth it? I'd give the meetings at least a year, you may fall in love with the program and sponser other people or you may decide that it's not for you at least you'll be making the decision from a sober perspective.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Backtosquareone, that is so well written. It's like you read my mind. I am really worried what the future may bring. I know I'm gonna want to drink in the future. I'm gonna try and stay in today tho.

I went to a second meeting tonight. It was ok but I can already feel the doubt and skepticism easing back in. Now I have to deal with work tomorrow. Hopefully I will not lose my job.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stepping View Post
Welcome back Tobo. I am sorry that you had a bad weekend... Today is a new day..you CAN do this. Of course you are going to be scared BUT let the fact that you are in control of not drinking take you over you can do this!!! I know you want it bad enough...i have followed your journey from early on! I am here for you as all these other people at SR are!!
Stepping thank you for the support!! I'm glad to see your doing well and progressing! Keep it up!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tobo View Post
Now I have to deal with work tomorrow. Hopefully I will not lose my job.
Just think about not drinking today...Take tomorrow when it gets here.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Tobo, chain yourself to a radiator if you need to. I'm not ashamed to admit that at one point I offered a friend some money to lock me in his basement for a week with a book and some meals-ready-to-eat. Old school rehab.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

No sh!t...Do what you have to do...
Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

If you have phone numbers Tobo...Use them...Call another alkie...That's what they are for...
Old 03-12-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Tobo,

Write down how you feel at this moment about drinking and put it in your wallet. Then when the idea passes through your mind that you want a drink get it out and read it.

Look, I'll be honest here: if you don't stop drinking you are probably going to suffer some major consequences and soon. You don't drink normally. You can't control what happens once you start. The only safe way that I know for someone in your position is to not start drinking.

Urges last for about 6 minutes. When you get the urge to drink time it and see how long your urges last. Prove me wrong!

I know you don't like AA. Fine. But if you go to a meeting at least you aren't drinking for that hour. Perhaps you can help someone there that is worse off than you, even by just saying hello to him/her.

It won't get better if you don't stop. . . at least it didn't for me until I did.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

I needed to reach the point where I HAD to give up the notion that I had all the answers and knew what was best for me. I had to give in and do a lot of things I didn't want to do. I had to go to AA meetings when I wanted to do other things. I read SR when I wanted to go out on the weekends. I gave up my social life to help my chances of staying sober. I had to get a sponsor and put myself out there when I didn't want to talk to anyone. I had to begin working the steps with my sponsor even though I felt I could do them myself. I didn't like the way I was told how to do certain steps, but I did them anyways. I had to make amends to people I didn't want to. I had to get a service commitment even though I had a million better things to do. I had to drive people I didn't even know to meetings, when I didn't want to go to the meeting in the first place. I had to turn down dates with cute girls because I didn't want to be around drinking. I had to awkwardly explain to people why I wasn't drinking when I didn't want to. I had to tell people I was in recovery when I didn't even like some of the people in the first place. I had change old habits when I didn't want to. I had to open up to people I didn't know for that long. I had to surrender to a program and admit I was powerless over alcohol after I had put years of work trying to gain control of everything. I had to make 7 am morning meetings and went to work a few minutes late because sobriety became the most important thing for me.

You know what I got doing this for my 15 months of sobriety?

I don't have to think about drinking all the time or how bad my hangover will be. I don't have to check my online bank to see how much I spent at the bar last night. I don't have to run to the toilet and throw up at 6 am. I don't have to reach for a beer at 7 am to try and feel better. I don't have to watch the road like a hawk, not knowing if I'm over the limit when driving. I don't have to wonder what I did the night before when I blacked out. I don't have to mix drinking different kinds of drinks to try and beat a hangover. I don't have to call my boss at lunch and tell him that my car broke down because I actually drank too much at lunch trying to kill a hangover. I don't have to go into work still drunk wondering how bad I am going to feel when the alcohol wears off. I don't have to worry about a drunken fight with a girlfriend. I don't have to cancel plans because I drank too much. I don't have to act like everything is alright when I'm at a function hungover, when I really know there is no way I could ever feel worse. I don't have to lie about how many drinks I've had to my significant other. I don't have to sneak drinks so that it doesn't look like I'm getting wasted. I don't need to use any drugs to try and calm myself down. I don't have to worry if it's ok to start drinking when I took a xanax 4 hours ago. I don't have to let alcohol control my every move.

I get to share my experience with others so that they know first hand that putting the work needed for recovery is worth it. I get to be in a healthy relationship with a great girl. I get to work for myself and do what I'm passionate about. I get to enjoy the ups and downs of life and not freak out over every little thing. I get to show my parents how much I love them. I get satisfaction knowing that everyone can count on me. I get to be open and honest with everyone. I get to hang around quality people that make the world a better place. I get to rejoice with people when they get a raise. I get to enjoy walking my dog in the morning. I get to praise my higher power for being there for me through thick and thin. I get to pray for people that they get the same blessings that I got. I get to give what little I have sometimes so that someone can be a little better off. I get to see what my life really has to offer. I get to see the positive changes in those around me. I get the chance to receive support when I need it. I get to live the life I've always wanted.

I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nirvana1 View Post
I needed to reach the point where I HAD to give up the notion that I had all the answers and knew what was best for me. I had to give in and do a lot of things I didn't want to do. I had to go to AA meetings when I wanted to do other things. I read SR when I wanted to go out on the weekends. I gave up my social life to help my chances of staying sober. I had to get a sponsor and put myself out there when I didn't want to talk to anyone. I had to begin working the steps with my sponsor even though I felt I could do them myself. I didn't like the way I was told how to do certain steps, but I did them anyways. I had to make amends to people I didn't want to. I had to get a service commitment even though I had a million better things to do. I had to drive people I didn't even know to meetings, when I didn't want to go to the meeting in the first place. I had to turn down dates with cute girls because I didn't want to be around drinking. I had to awkwardly explain to people why I wasn't drinking when I didn't want to. I had to tell people I was in recovery when I didn't even like some of the people in the first place. I had change old habits when I didn't want to. I had to open up to people I didn't know for that long. I had to surrender to a program and admit I was powerless over alcohol after I had put years of work trying to gain control of everything. I had to make 7 am morning meetings and went to work a few minutes late because sobriety became the most important thing for me.

You know what I got doing this for my 15 months of sobriety?

I don't have to think about drinking all the time or how bad my hangover will be. I don't have to check my online bank to see how much I spent at the bar last night. I don't have to run to the toilet and throw up at 6 am. I don't have to reach for a beer at 7 am to try and feel better. I don't have to watch the road like a hawk, not knowing if I'm over the limit when driving. I don't have to wonder what I did the night before when I blacked out. I don't have to mix drinking different kinds of drinks to try and beat a hangover. I don't have to call my boss at lunch and tell him that my car broke down because I actually drank too much at lunch trying to kill a hangover. I don't have to go into work still drunk wondering how bad I am going to feel when the alcohol wears off. I don't have to worry about a drunken fight with a girlfriend. I don't have to cancel plans because I drank too much. I don't have to act like everything is alright when I'm at a function hungover, when I really know there is no way I could ever feel worse. I don't have to lie about how many drinks I've had to my significant other. I don't have to sneak drinks so that it doesn't look like I'm getting wasted. I don't need to use any drugs to try and calm myself down. I don't have to worry if it's ok to start drinking when I took a xanax 4 hours ago. I don't have to let alcohol control my every move.

I get to share my experience with others so that they know first hand that putting the work needed for recovery is worth it. I get to be in a healthy relationship with a great girl. I get to work for myself and do what I'm passionate about. I get to enjoy the ups and downs of life and not freak out over every little thing. I get to show my parents how much I love them. I get satisfaction knowing that everyone can count on me. I get to be open and honest with everyone. I get to hang around quality people that make the world a better place. I get to rejoice with people when they get a raise. I get to enjoy walking my dog in the morning. I get to praise my higher power for being there for me through thick and thin. I get to pray for people that they get the same blessings that I got. I get to give what little I have sometimes so that someone can be a little better off. I get to see what my life really has to offer. I get to see the positive changes in those around me. I get the chance to receive support when I need it. I get to live the life I've always wanted.

I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.
Wow. What an amazing post. Thank you. Even though it wasn't for me I needed to read something like this. Today was a hard day. But I'm still sober and this post will help me in the days ahead. Thank you again.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of the support and advice everyone. Nirvana that was a great post I plan to go back reread through them this evening. I just got home from work and that went ok. My boss didn't say anything about me missing work. But it's been an issue in the past.

I'm about to go for a run and then make some dinner. I'm supposed to meet the guy I asked yesterday to sponsor me tonight. It's at a meeting thats not real close and it's a later meeting. I'm usually in bed pretty early but he has given me his time so I need to follow through. I'm so mentally screwed up right now that I could scream. I don't want to let go of my drinking. I don't want to admit defeat. I'm embarrassed to have to go to aa. I'm scared of what life will be like. How lame and boring I will become. I worried about how things are gonna be when I lose my resolve to stay sober, when the sting of this hangover wears off.

But I don't know what else to do. I wanted to try and pursue other methods like rr/avrt but I think I need something more in my immediate vacinity. It's to easy for me to "change my mind" and try controlling the booze. How long can i get away doing what I'm doing? I manage some control some of the time, only to have a major binge on the weekend. I'm going to get arrested or worse. I always swear off the drugs, but once I'm drunk I go to any lengths to get them. I'm going to end up getting killed or killing myself bc of the subsequent depression if I continue on this path.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

I don't know if this means anything to you or not Tobo...But you sound like you are starting to make some sense...Just do what you have to do today and don't drink.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Just got back from a meeting. Also went out for a bit with my sponsor. We talked about my situation and he gave me a few things to do for the next week. I'm gonna give it a real try and also try and quiet the disturbance in my head. So day two is pretty much in the books. Tomorrow is the next challenge
Old 03-13-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Tobo, when I quit most of the anxiety and depression went away over the course of about a year. When I drank I had constant racing thoughts, like you just couldn't quiet your mind down, thought I was going off the deep end. A lot of that type of thing will improve over time just by virtue of getting the booze out of your life.

The early days can be tricky so be extra cautious. The cravings and obsession also left completely over time. The biggest thrill is to actually have a quiet mind, that's something I hadn't known for quite a while. Hang in there Tobo.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

I hate myself
Old 08-03-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

I've got a broken heart. Also had a bit of an overdose Saturday and got out of hospital on sunday
Old 08-03-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Tobo, you are back, and welcome too. So sorry to hear of your news, it must have been terrifying. What sort of OD was this?
Old 08-03-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Zee

Oh no Tobo, are you ok? I'm glad you got to the hospital. x
Old 08-03-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Well I'm not comfortable sharing the details bc it is the www, but it was something I never did before. It's strong and not supposed to be mixed with booze. They said my bac was like .28 supposedly I was found about a block from my house and taken to hospital.

Then I drank and partyed for next three days. Why do I do this to myself? This always happens when I get dumped. I'm so self destructive
Old 08-04-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Guess this is a slow board