Notices

AA wouldn't work

Old 07-02-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Prejudice was definitely one of the things keeping me drunk. The exact center of prejudice is the perception that others are somehow different than you. There are something like 6.8 billion stories on the planet, 6.8 billion unique awarenesses of what it is like to be born, suffer, and die. Whether the person sitting next to me is a red-faced toothless smelly boring old man, or a "solitary animal" with intact dentition, the realization that their story is far closer to being identical to mine than it is to being different, helps bring humility to my recovery.

AA was not necessary for me to come that realization, but it was clear I had to do something. I picked AA to help guide me along a path, I hope your choice serves you as well. I look forward to hearing your story.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Recycle--great post! Judging and comparing gets us nowhere.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." ~ Herbert Spencer
Old 07-02-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hendrixstrat View Post
I went to AA for the first time this week, and i'd have to say it sucks....
I'm not a hardcore alcoholic i just drink a bit too much.

I would come out of AA so bored that I would want to drink.
It was all old men with no front teeth...guys with red faces..

At the end of the day it's only you that can control your own drinking AA aint gonna do **** IMO.
Have you ever been to a resteraunt you hated? How bout one you loved? AA is the same way. Every meeting is different. Ive been to meetings in a run down building with no power with ex cons, and bikers. My regular meeting was in a rich part of town with two judges, multiple lawyers, ceo's, and actors.

And to he people who say they love everyone in AA, they haven't been to enough meetings.

Look around your local aa website try a couple other meeting young people meetings, morning meetings, newcomer meetings, you may like them better.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I don't do AA, but I respect the program, it saves lives, I've seen first hand the remarkable transformations possible and I'll never forget it. There are other options out there. A lot of people find AA meaningful fellowship - having that direct, raw contact. But I'm not really a group person, I work one on one with a counselor and try to educate myself.

Having said that, I'm open to it again if I need it in the future. If I get to the point where I'm not managing, that's where I'll be going.

What is your aim with drinking? Do you want to quit altogether or learn to control? I tried for a long time to control, every trick I could think of. Finally had to give up that battle as my drinking progressed further. You're a young person, I hope you don't have a long struggle like that ahead of you.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

So, after one meeting you have a complete understanding of how the program works by how many teeth the members have? Just kidding... I can relate. I didn't care for the program in the beginning, eithther. However, I stuck around and got sober. Good luck...
Old 07-02-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by WritingFromLife View Post
For the record, I have met some fine, outstanding men that are long-time AA members. And yes, they all have teeth. I have also met some, er, "not-so-polished" folks--male AND female....
I agree. There are some good & bad people in AA and there are some good & bad meetings. There is one meeting in my area where Beelzebub himself could not have put together a crasser bunch of scoundrels.

But there is also a Big Book meeting 20 minutes away where "We are not saints" just might be anachronistic.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." ~ Herbert Spencer
The quote is incorrectly attributed to Herbert Spencer.

For those interested, an article by Michael StGeorge, available on the Anonymous Press web site, clarifies the origin.

Survival of a Fitting Quotation

Most members of A.A. are familiar with this oft repeated quote. The concept has become part of the A.A. way of life. However, the research of Michael StGeorge† makes it plain that Herbert Spencer didn't write it.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I just don't think that it would stop me drinking if I still had the urge.
A big part of recovery, and for some of us, one of the hardest parts, is recognizing that we don't know everything and we can't predict the future from our limited vantage point... but it takes a looooong time for a lot of people to learn that (myself included!).

By the way, I'm an attractive professional in my 30s in AA -- and I have all my teeth.

GG
Old 07-02-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

edit duplicate post
Old 07-02-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I agree with the poster who said - not another debate about AA. I don't do AA. But I know plenty who do go and I know many who have recovered using it. If it works great if it it does not well no worries. Life if too short and too wounderful to worry about what works for some and not for othes.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I can't help but laugh at the opening post, as well. Many people have had similar experiences at their first AA meetings, and eventually came back. And have stayed sober for many years. But AA aren't the only way to get sober, and stay sober. Do whatever works for you.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
There is more that one to recover from alcohol dependance or abuse. I tried AA's program for a wile, its not for me. Mystical tricks & tips was not going to make a bit of difference for me. I needed some substantial that I could put to practice ASAP.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons aren't worth as much as a good blaster at your side, kid..."

hahaha
Old 07-04-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

If you are going to AA to judge the looks of others, it is not for you!

If you are going to AA to find out if you are an Alcoholic, it is not for you.

If you admit you have a drinking problem and are willing to keep an open mind, it may work for you if you work it!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:17 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I had a visual of an alcoholic (in my head) as some guy lying in the alley, dressed in grubby, stained, stinky clothes with a paper bag clenched in his hand, not so.
Have met many people from many 'walks' of life. Rich, poor, attractive, professional, etc.
AA got me sober years ago and I stayed that way for well over 5 years, then had a small relapse (2 day binge) and now have almost two years at the end of this month.
Try another meeting, hell, try several, until you find that one.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:15 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Zenfool
There is more that one to recover from alcohol dependance or abuse. I tried AA's program for a wile, its not for me. Mystical tricks & tips was not going to make a bit of difference for me. I needed some substantial that I could put to practice ASAP.
Originally Posted by finrodfelagund
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons aren't worth as much as a good blaster at your side, kid..."
I like to use a ray gun. I do love a good fiction story.Especially science fiction with referances from the long ago past.,,Heheehee
Old 07-05-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I went to AA for the first time this week, and i'd have to say it sucks....
I'm not a hardcore alcoholic i just drink a bit too much.

I would come out of AA so bored that I would want to drink.
It was all old men with no front teeth...guys with red faces..

At the end of the day it's only you that can control your own drinking AA aint gonna do **** IMO.
AA only works if you want it to work!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Oh and I'm in my late 30's, a Domestic Engineer (aka Stay at home Mom) with an education, am in AA and I have all my teeth.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=eyemitalian0312;3023209]

If you are going to AA to find out if you are an Alcoholic, it is not for you.

I disgree. I needed to hear the stories and shares of other alcoholics and identify with them in order to find out for sure that I was an alcoholic. Back then I pretty much new I was one but still was in denial to a point. I doubt I would have come to the realization so quickly if I hadnt gone to AA.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I sometimes get the impression that some people think that a person who drinks too much and is having consequences sits there and thinks "you know what i think ill try rehab" or "got nothing to do tonight think ill go to AA"...i was ****** when i walked into AA and looked for a sponsor to get the solution in AA...i had tried everything else...

But i can relate too because i walked into AA 10 years earlier and thought what a bunch of crap and when i was 21 and thought the same thing...as long as anyone isn't living their own personal living hell and can't stop drinking but for a short period of months then chill out, sit back and mull over which route to recovery (although it's beyond me why anyone would want recovery if their life isn't that bad at the moment) to inquire about...