Notices

AA wouldn't work

Old 07-05-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
Jennie, I have no desire whatsoever to beat you up or hinder you from finding your own path. I really hope you do. Is it possible that, in 5-6 years of research and a shelf full of recovery books that hasn't resulted in lasting sobriety, your way is perhaps not working very well? I'll leave it at that.
Well Keith, that would be an easy explanation from an outsider's perspective. But I've learned a lot during that time, and I'm now able to pull a lot of things together that I've pieced together over that time period. You might not see it or even believe it, however I know it's true. I see my progression and without a shadow of a doubt, I've improved. That may not fit your concept of improvement, and that's ok too.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you don't want AA...don't go. There are many options...we share about them often.
If you don't think SR is for you...that's ok too. Please find another site better suited to your situation.

Respect is what we do expect from all SR members.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by keithj View Post
Jennie, I have no desire whatsoever to beat you up or hinder you from finding your own path. I really hope you do. Is it possible that, in 5-6 years of research and a shelf full of recovery books that hasn't resulted in lasting sobriety, your way is perhaps not working very well? I'll leave it at that.
I really hate to do it, because I know what keith means, but I have to agree here. That progression does not sound very promising.

Jennie, what's the plan now?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I fought AA for a long time and went before and felt it wasn't for me. I found a speaker group (I have agoraphobia and panic and speaking in front of others freaks me out) and that makes me want to go because I'm more incognito. I actually like it. It's only once a week but I'm also in outpatient treatment, psychiatry, psychology, etc. to deal with my emotional issues. 90 in 90 seems to overwhelming for me right now. So I have 10 days sober...one day at a time!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
I really hate to do it, because I know what keith means, but I have to agree here. That progression does not sound very promising.

Jennie, what's the plan now?
It's really simple. I have no hopes of ever moderating. I tried it and you can see from the clear progression... I experimented and it didn't work. Plain and simple. I pay attention to numbers, they don't lie.

I had something happen a few months ago (it's personal). On June 28th I just decided that was it. It's over, no more. It really is that simple. However, I've got lots of stats committed to memory, and other stuff from all the books. And I remember what key people have told me about their experiences. I just keep it all in mind, all the time. That's how I'm making it work. Plus, my mom killed herself and she was an alchy/addict. It fairly traumatized me and woke my a** up a bit.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
abc

I don't see how AA is any better than SR. One is in person, one is online. I do most things online now anyway. I figure I can quit booze online too.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Some people can abc, that is wonderful.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

That's too funny, hendrixstrat!

I remember thinking the same thing when I went for the first time, back in 1980 ( I was 17).

I went again in 1990, and all I saw was a room full of weak, scared people that seemed to be dependent on some kind of Higher Power. They kept talking about getting a sponsor. Can you believe that? I had to pick someone to "work the steps" with. HA! What a joke! For years I thought that the whole sponsor thing was for me to tell him my deep dark secrets, and then after I left the room, he would tell everyone else and they'd all laugh at me behind my back! I made it 6 months that time.

I went back again in 2007, after several attempts at sobriety through Rational Recovery, Church, and a couple other failures. AND, several stints in jail, several divorces, thousands of dollars in lawyer fees and court costs (DWI's). I was lonely, desperate, and near death.
I didn't go to make friends.
I didn't go to meet women.
I didn't care WHO had teeth! (they all had their teeth, btw)
I went to get sober.
I worked the program and can honestly say AA saved my life.

Good luck, man. I'll be praying for you.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abc View Post
I don't see how AA is any better than SR. One is in person, one is online.
I won't argue the 'better' part, but the program of recovery in AA is the taking of the 12 Steps that lead to a spiritual awakening. It's not a support group where a bunch of drunks get together and support each other in their abstinence. If AA seems the same as SR, I'd guess you aren't doing AA.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

"SoberRecovery.com is now in its 9th year of helping addicts, alcoholics, dual diagnosed, their friends family and loved ones find hope...and help. Before we were addicts, before we were overeaters, bi-polar, alcoholic or codependent-we are your sons, daughters, husbands, wives friends and family members."

Looks like to me SR is more that a bunch of drunks seeking abstinence alone. I work a recovery program that is in all likelyhood just as good as AA success rate of 5%. So there.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Zencat,
My post wasn't a slam against SR, and I'm sorry you took it that way. My point was that if what abc is doing in AA looks and feels like a face-to-face version of SR, then abc isn't doing the AA program of recovery, which is the 12 Steps. I suspect a 5% success rate is a more accurate measure for those NOT doing the program of AA (12 Steps) than for those actually completing the Steps.

Find me 95% of ANY given population who have completed the Steps and NOT stayed sober if you want that statistic to have any validity.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Workin 100% for me. So far...
Old 07-06-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
Workin 100% for me. So far...
Me too.

Regardless of what program, the fact of the matter was I simply couldn't out-think my own alcoholism.

I needed direction and an action plan. I needed a design for getting over my past, for living in the here-and-now, and setting myself up for success.

AA has provided that (and removed the obession to drink) and more!

If another program can do the same, then go for it and job well done.

Kjell~
Old 07-06-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Soberjeanie,

I too found that AA wasn't for me. I've been sober since December. Some people can do it on their own, without AA. Others seem to do well there.

Stay sober,

Ru
Old 07-06-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

As an educated person myself, I have read well over a 1000 books on self help and addiction since 1992. I do not believe AA is the ONLY way, but I will darn sure say they have done a fantastic job of taking the major points that resonate throughout most of those books and wrapping them up nicely in a simple action plan called The Twelve Steps.

Just my two cents. There are many ways to stay sober. As long as someone's way is working, I say keep going, and keep sharing what you are doing!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I have read dozens and dozens of spiritual books in the last 2 years and in my view it is all the same stuff, interesting to read i guess with some sobriety behind you if it's your thing! Better for the newcomer to keep it simple, choose a route, work it to the best of your ability [so one has done what they were told, finished what they were told to do, been honest with themselves and the person trying to help], if you drink again it hasn't worked so try another!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I suspect a 5% success rate is a more accurate measure for those NOT doing the program of AA (12 Steps) than for those actually completing the Steps.
I agree. I believe the drop out rate is such that only the few that remain get it. Oh Keith I was just point out that SR has non-drinkers here over in the family/friends section and no hard feelings on my side.

Simplest recovery program on the earth: Do not drinking 100% of the time. If you fail its because your not giving your 100% to the program. It dunt get any simpler den dat folks, if it being simple y'all want.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
Simplest recovery program on the earth: Do not drinking 100% of the time. If you fail its because your not giving your 100% to the program. It dunt get any simpler den dat folks, if it being simple y'all want.
ZQ

If it was really that simple, I think I would have "got it" one of the first 19,352 times I tried... LOL!

P.S. Not drinkin has nothing to do with why I am sober today.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
ZQ

If it was really that simple, I think I would have "got it" one of the first 19,352 times I tried... LOL!

P.S. Not drinkin has nothing to do with why I am sober today.
You were doing it right...LOL.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
You were doing it right...LOL.
And furthermore, if you are going to try and teach me any of that Zen stuff;

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!