SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   AA wouldn't work (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/230733-aa-wouldnt-work.html)

vivid-red 07-01-2011 09:51 AM

AA wouldn't work

I went to AA for the first time this week, and i'd have to say it sucks....
I'm not a hardcore alcoholic i just drink a bit too much.

I would come out of AA so bored that I would want to drink.
It was all old men with no front teeth...guys with red faces..

At the end of the day it's only you that can control your own drinking AA aint gonna do **** IMO.

Terminally Unique 07-01-2011 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by hendrixstrat (Post 3020216)
I went to AA for the first time this week, and i'd have to say it sucks....
I'm not a hardcore alcoholic i just drink a bit too much.

I would come out of AA so bored that I would want to drink.
It was all old men with no front teeth...guys with red faces..

At the end of the day it's only you that can control your own drinking AA aint gonna do **** IMO.

If meetings aren't for you, there is always Rational Recovery. Completely private, no meetings.

cb1 07-01-2011 10:06 AM

Rational Recovery is pretty good book. It did help me some.

Mark75 07-01-2011 10:08 AM

I have teeth ;)

babycat 07-01-2011 10:16 AM

If it didn't work, does that mean all the many, many people who say it has saved their life are lying?
I truly believe it works cuz I have seen it work. But YOU have to put serious effort into it. Of course its not going to work if you have that attitude. It has not worked for me cuz I have been lazy with it and I go back and forth between being desperate to quit and knowing I have to but not really fully wanting to.
Your attitude sounds a bit snobby, quite frankly. That will never help you.

Zube 07-01-2011 10:26 AM

Fake it 'til you make it.
It's worked for millions of alcoholics before you.

Zube

Terminally Unique 07-01-2011 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mark75 (Post 3020233)
i have teeth ;)

lol !!!

yeahgr8 07-01-2011 11:08 AM

Like you have said if you aren't an alcoholic why on earth go to AA (Alcoholics Anonymous)...hopefully you won't be back in a few years with a red face and no teeth...who knows? Maybe you would feel more comfortable then?! I'm glad i got in at 38 with all my teeth and a nice tanned face, not that i've met many people in AA that fit your description lol

loveon2legs 07-01-2011 11:13 AM

Oh please...not another AA debate.................so worn out...............lets move forward on this one...okay!!

Kjell 07-01-2011 11:13 AM

Hi Hendrix-

You sure found a lot out after one meeting.

Thanks for saying my program sucks.

AA will always be there for you if you ever want to go back.

Kjell~

Zube 07-01-2011 11:19 AM

Maybe they were all blushing because you showed up.

Zube

stugotz 07-01-2011 11:35 AM

You're probably right. But we will still be here for you when you get back.

vivid-red 07-01-2011 11:42 AM

I didn't mean to totally blast AA...

I mean there were alot of friendly folk there who welcomed me in....

I just don't think that it would stop me drinking if I still had the urge.

Elisabeth888 07-01-2011 11:43 AM

LOL, I have teeth too. I hated AA for the first two years I went. I even kept going after the court order things was up. Check out some other meetings. Honestly, you have to get out of your shell and share in meetings and introduce yourself to people.

Going and sitting like a bump on a log does suck.

yeahgr8 07-01-2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by hendrixstrat (Post 3020332)
I didn't mean to totally blast AA...

I mean there were alot of friendly folk there who welcomed me in....

I just don't think that it would stop me drinking if I still had the urge.

Well i actually proved that! I went to AA for about 4 weeks after rehab, did nothing else but meetings though and i drank again...

It was only when i did the actual program of AA, the solution which is the steps, that the obsession to drink was removed and that hasn't come back...

I was a binge drinker for years, i drank since 17 years old and only became a daily drinker in the last year, in my late 30's, before that i would go a few months without a drink when i had to, you know every couple of years and my normal frequency was maybe twice a week...

I know a woman in the rooms who used to drink just one day a month and got sober and happy with the AA solution...it's not the frequency of the drinking its how we feel in between, thats what the program "sorts" out for us...i mean i didn't even want to stop drinking when i went to AA i just wanted the **** to stop!!!

CarolD 07-01-2011 11:50 AM

hendrixstrat...
I don't think anyone can figure out if AA is or is not for them with such a small bit of exposure.

However....AA clearly states it's not for everyone...and we are not running a membership drive.

Please find something that gives you joy and purpose...NOT DRINKING IS A GOOD START ..:yup:
hAVE YOU NOTICED THIS sr fORUM?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-connections/

GettingStronger2 07-01-2011 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mark75 (Post 3020233)
I have teeth ;)

So do I. And i am not an old man, and i don't have a red face. Go figure.

If you don't like AA, by all means, don't go. I will say that it works almost 100% of the time when people work the program. People find different ways to sobriety, i hope you find what works for you.

Brucel 07-01-2011 12:09 PM

I got a suggestion. Give it 90 days, just 90 days. After that, I believe you can make a more informed decision as to whether it's for you or not. Whatever you choose, I hope the best for ya.

Brucel 07-01-2011 12:11 PM

Oh by the way, Mark, I love your sense of humor. Once again, you made me laugh.