Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How Do You Fight Your Craving For A Drink? And Why Am I Getting Sick?

Notices

How Do You Fight Your Craving For A Drink? And Why Am I Getting Sick?

Old 01-16-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You might be an alcoholic if you keep drinking even tho
it makes you sick

You might be an alcoholic if you think a drink means
2 bottles of wine and 1 of vodka.

With apologies to Jeff F....

Lot's of really good suggestions on cravings..Thanks eveyone
Old 01-17-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Pink, I hope you post soon and tell us you are on Day 3.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Food and People

I fight cravings by eating foods with sugar in them like breads and candy. I understand that part of the alcohol craving is sugar based so by stuffing myself with pizza and sugars helps kill a craving. I also don't allow myself to be in a situation to drink. Take the alcohol back and get your money and then spend that money on nummy foods. Then find some activities in town with people and get out of the house. If you get around people who are doing something other than drinking you will be able to not focus on the cravings.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Can you go to a meeting now? Can you get out of the house?
Do something when you are thinking about drinking. Eat chocolate.
You know that it is not going to make you feel better...If it was..I would say your not ready....to stop. But, you are ready...you just have to get thru some days and some sick feelings....Keep busy.....
Old 01-17-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

hey. i'm trying to find a list of aa meetings in wausau wisconsin. I really want and need to go to one very soon, and i can't seem to find a list of the meetings online. please help if you could. thank you so much.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So, what did YOU DECIDE to do with that alcohol yesterday? Did you pour it down the sink and you feel good today about making a responsible decision for you and your kids? Or did you pour it down your throat and you feel terrible, hungover, guilty, and depressed?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

This has been provided for you in your last thread you started, but I will supply it again.

AA NA Meetings in Wausau, WI | In The Rooms

Get your butt there!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

nope. i made the wrong decision yesterday. i gave in and drank too much. now, i am really miserable and hung over. my fault i know. i just can't seem to fight my cravings and say no to it. every one says that its not about willpower. but how can it not be about that. if i had willpower than i wouldn't pick up that first drink. i dunno. i am so frustrated with myself and my life and the stupid alcohol.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

When you want to quit, you'll take the necessary steps to do that. It's obvious you don't want to quit.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

god every one. so critical and harsh. yea yea. i get it. im a horrible weak person, who can't stop drinking. i should just be able to stop just like that, like every one else on this forum. you all must be so much better than me, to be able to fight your addiction. your the best and i'm scum.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You purchased alcohol with the intent of drinking it...you are sabotaging your own chances if you do that...you wouldn't even give it to your husbad for safety's sake?

The "oh poor me" pity-party is over little girl.....take some action to improve your circumstances....WE can't do it for you.

when you want to stop drinking and puking while your newborn cries and you can't pick him up because you have your head inn the toilet, you will....(and these are your words)

I thought the foster care comment was harsh yesterday, because i thought you were gaining some ground...now i'm not so sure.

i'm with Smacked, i just can't respond to you anymore, it is too sad to imagine your circumstances...I hope you get real help.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The only one saying those things about you is you. No one here has said any of that. We've been trying to help you with this for months now, even when you were drinking while pregnant. We've done all we can do. We cannot take the steps to help for you. Only you can do that. Can you stop feeling sorry for yourself long enough to ask someone in your life for help?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

No one is trying to make you feel down PFF. It is just frustrating that we know how bad you want to quit, we have some suggestions that would be able to help you, but yet you won't take any actions for YOURSELF!

But people, being harsh to PFF is not the answer. Making her feel more depressed about her actions won't force her to put the plug in the jug. May I suggest if you can't be supportive and kind that you don't post? It is her life, and she has to live with the choices she makes. We can't help everyone, there are such unfortunates.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

first off. lets get one thing straight. when i was pregnant, i was in no way getting drunk and trashed every night. i think i cut back considerably. i was only have maybe a couple drinks a week. like a couple glasses of wine. that is in no way being a terrible mother. i cut back a lot for my son. as much as i could and he is perfect. i love him more than any thing. and my daughter too. i am a great mother. and even in the morning after i had been drinking and i feel like ****. those kids still get taken care of the best. they have every thing they need, and i give them lots of love. i feel sick and feel horrible, but i'm still a wonderful mother to them. they are my world. and i want to stop drinking for them. i am trying. but it is harder than you all seem to think. so don't judge me.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkfirefly View Post
you all must be so much better than me, to be able to fight your addiction.
Exactly the opposite. I'm exactly like you. And like you, I could not fight my alcoholism very well either. It won every time.

You were touching on it in an earlier post. Willpower. It wasn't about willpower for me. I rode that horse into the ground, and at the end of applying all my resources to JUST NOT DRINK, I came up drunk. Hopeless, full of fear, pitiful and demoralized.

But I found some other people who were just like that. Just like you and me. People who had tried with all their might to stop drinking and come up empty. They drank like I did, and they had tried and failed at the willpower game. But here they were, sober and happy and had complete freedom from booze.

They showed me the truth of their experience. Their experience was:
Originally Posted by AA BB 1st
At a certain point in the drinking of every alcoholic, he passes into a state where the most powerful desire to stop drinking is of absolutely no avail.
So if they didn't have the power to stop drinking, just how in the hell were they sitting there sober and happy?

They showed me what they had done to recover from alcoholism. I did those same things and I recovered just like they did.

Just like you can. But you have to be willing to do what they did. Or at least I did.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

god every one. so critical and harsh. yea yea. i get it. im a horrible weak person, who can't stop drinking. i should just be able to stop just like that, like every one else on this forum. you all must be so much better than me, to be able to fight your addiction. your the best and i'm scum.
the criticizing only comes out of frustration for your kids. don't take it personally.

you ask is it willpower? i'll be the one to answer honestly...atleast for me.

alot of it is in the beginning. it is indeed. it's being like a piece of iron when your body screams to drink. taking whatever the withdrawal throws at you and getting back up. it's getting the sh!t kicked out of you from nausea, vomiting and other withdrawal symptoms and saying that you will not pick up no matter what.

i was addicted to precsritption drugs as well, and i was drinking more than most people were. i'm not proud of it, but it's a fact. i'm a big guy.

my withdrawal lasted for a solid month. seizures, insomnia, heart racing, nausea, vomiting, hallucinations, ringing in my ears, light sensitivity, muscle cramps, twitching, headaches that were blinding, and more. some days i just laid in bed and didn't move.

but i didn't drink. whether the willpower was God's or my own i refused to live on my knees to this addiction another day and I WON! i outlasted the withdrawal, i survived the detox.

in some ways, i didn't surrender like alot of people say they do, i declared war.

I declared war on the disease and i wouldn't let up until it couldn't hurt me or my family anymore. as time passed, the disease lost it's grasp over me and i felt true freedom. i don't crave it or even think about it most days, but you have to be willing to be that piece of iron until your body is done detoxing.

i'm not like most people who go to AA.

i'm candid in what happened to me and why i stay sober.

i did it for my daughter.
and every day i stay sober, i do it for her. she's my life, my heart, and my peace. God allowed me a second chance, but i had to show up and fight the good fight.

so...yeah...in the beginning, imo it's all willpower. then you get stronger and stronger and the desire goes away and is gone.

i'm sitting here watching intervention on A&E and i can't believe i ever lived that way. i honestly believe that this disease has absolutely no power over me as long as it's out of my body. so that's where it will stay.

you gotta hang in there PFF. do it for your kids.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

When you have had it with drinking, and you surrender to the fact that you are an alcoholic, and that you just can't drink, it really does come easier..I was a drinker for over 20 years started when I was 13...I'm living proof that it can happen...and life does get better.... you say you are a good parent now, imagine if you got in recovery...how much better you would be! You need to stay away from places that sell and serve booze..it's alot to handle..and far too tempting....make better choices if not for yourself, for your children... God Bless....
Old 01-17-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good morning Pink! Today is a new day. There is a meeting today if you want. Please don't say everyone and you all...you know that is not true. It is not fair to lump us all together is it? I also feel sad when you find it easier to call yourself names than to put into words how you truly feel. If you really thought all the things you say about yourself were true, you never would have made any friends, gotten married or reached out to us. You want love and friendship and understanding, that is because you know who you are in your heart. I know one of my deepest desires is to be loved and accepted for who I really am and not have someone misjudge me or make up their minds about me without even trying to get to know me. Would you want someone you loved to say mean things about themselves often? What if you heard someone badmouthing one of your loved ones, saying things that just were not true? You would defend them wouldn't you? Please defend yourself. You may do things that you hate, people you love may do things you hate, but you do not hate them. If I could ask you to do one thing this week, one challenge I could give you, it wouldn't even be to go to a meeting or stop drinking (though that would be awesome!) The one thing I would ask you to try, is when you post on here, do not call yourself even one negative name. Do not say you think we think you are any negative name. Just for this week, then see how you feel. I believe it will help you express your true feelings more clearly and help others understand you more if you don't just get upset with yourself and say something that is not true. I will end this post with a little story about me: When I was a little girl, my mother often said horrible things about herself. She said she had no friends because she was stupid, weird, unlovable and ugly. Every time she looked in the mirror, she made nasty comments about herself. Her hair was too stringy, her skin too oily in one spot, too dry in the other, her eyes the wrong shape, her nose too pointy her ears like Dumbo. Sometimes I would hear her cry and ask what the point of her life was anyways since she was such a worthless human being. I loved her, I liked being with her, but I guessed none of the good things I knew about her could make up for all the bad she said everyone saw in her. She said the only reason I liked and loved her was because I didn't know any better.So you can only imagine how devastating it was for me to go through my childhood having people often tell me I looked just like my mother! To hear people tell me they could tell I got my personality from mom. In reality they were complimenting the same things I had liked about her, but all I could hear was people telling me I was as worthless and ugly as her. Guess what? My mom was beautiful, she was a character, funny, creative and smart. So am I and so is my precious baby girl who looks and acts just like me. She and I compliment each other back and forth every day and I am very careful to never call myself negative names. God bless you and your family today Pinky!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

first off. lets get one thing straight. when i was pregnant, i was in no way getting drunk and trashed every night. i think i cut back considerably. i was only have maybe a couple drinks a week. like a couple glasses of wine. that is in no way being a terrible mother. i cut back a lot for my son. as much as i could and he is perfect. i love him more than any thing. and my daughter too. i am a great mother. and even in the morning after i had been drinking and i feel like ****. those kids still get taken care of the best. they have every thing they need, and i give them lots of love. i feel sick and feel horrible, but i'm still a wonderful mother to them. they are my world. and i want to stop drinking for them. i am trying. but it is harder than you all seem to think. so don't judge me.
There are differences between not buying into the rationalizations and justifications of a practicing alcoholic, and being judgmental.

"Failure to support" child neglect, and "refusal to buy into" your excuses, are not indications of "judgement".

There is no mistaking the lashing rage of alcoholism, once it has its mask ripped off.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

thank you. I'm sorry. i didn't mean to imply that every one was the same. i'm sorry. i'll try not to talk negatively about myself. i grew up with a mother, who constantly yelled at me, and told me how horrible i was, and how weird i was. and how i wasn't like any one else, and i was never good enough, could never do anything right no matter how hard i tried. i love my mother, but i had such a bad child hood. and i'm sure that has a lot to do with my low self esteem, and lack of faith and love for myself. i've never liked myself. always thought i wasn't worth much. and as i'm older i'm trying to over come that as well. its hard. i've never had a lot of friends in my life. no one ever wanted to be my friend. and i was always a nice to person to every one. i'd make a good friend. i'm not judgmental, and i can keep a person's secret to my grave. i know i have some good qualities, but deep down i hate myself, and its hard to get over that. and that's why i'm always looking for something to numb my pain, help me not to have to think for a little while. make me happier for a moment. i just want to be happy.