Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How Do You Fight Your Craving For A Drink? And Why Am I Getting Sick?

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hey, this is my 2nd day with out drinking. and i am already going crazy. i actually caved and went to the store and bought a couple bottles of wine, and a bottle of vodka. now i'm at home. i havn't drank it yet. but i really want to. i just can't imagine going through the day with out having my drink. i feel so hopeless. i don't want to admit that i have a problem. i keep telling myself that i have my drinking under control, and i can stop any time i want. but obviously i can't. cuz i can't even stand to go one day with out a drink. looking back, i don't know how i let this happen to me. i used to be fine, and now i'm not. im gonna go to an aa meeting tomorrow. but how do i do this. how did you fight the urge to pick up that drink, when you want it so badly. is it just all about willpower? what if my will power is not strong enough. i don't feel strong enough. how did you do it, how did you fight the craving?

also, i don't know why, but every time i have a couple drinks it has been making me sick. it never used to do this to me. is something wrong with me or my body. cuz i just get dizzy and nauseaous, and get an upset stomach, and just feel horrible. i don't even get the nice buzz drunk feeling i used to get. what's going on.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey. That is exactly where I was 13 days ago. Everytime I drank I felt like crap. My stomach hurt, I had diarreah, nauseated, tired, achy. Generally feeling horrible. And alcohol didn't even make me feel good and buzzed anymore, just like crap. So why do I want to keep drinking?? I don't know, but I do.

In the first few days the anxiety was the worst. Totally out of control. My husband, who is super supportive, was so freaked at the panick attacks that he actually asked me if I wanted him to buy me wine! That was the LAST thing I needed.

It hasn't even been two weeks and my anxiety is so much better and all those physical symptoms like the nausea ect is all gone. I feel so much better physically. I actually feel a huge sense of relief not waking up feeling that way. Hang in there. You can get through another day. You did it yesterday and it didn't kill you. Give it one more day. It will get better!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You can start by pouring that alcohol you went and bought down the drain. Why would you want it around if you don't plan on drinking it? That is just unnecessary torture you are subjecting yourself to.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on not drinking yesterday - I hope you can dump what you have and make it day#2

It's not about willpower for me, PFF...it's about acceptance. Acceptance that I'm an alcoholic, accepting that it's made my life a disaster, and accepting I just can't drink.

Support was vital for me - I really urge you to plug yourself into as many support networks as you can - AA, your Dr, counselling, SR...whatever else is available to you.

Having that support, numbers to ring etc - is a hell of a better alternative to going to the store and having a staring competition with a couple bottles of booze, IMO.

D
Old 01-16-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkfirefly View Post
i actually caved and went to the store and bought a couple bottles of wine, and a bottle of vodka. now i'm at home. i havn't drank it yet. but i really want to.
Get rid of them.

i don't want to admit that i have a problem.
No one likes to have a drinking problem. However, you do. You drink to the point where it jeopardizes your family and relationship with your husband. I drank to the point where it was killing me while I was throwing my life away in the process. We need to address the problem honestly and head on.

is it just all about willpower? what if my will power is not strong enough. i don't feel strong enough. how did you do it, how did you fight the craving?
To a point. It took you tremendous willpower to post here before you started to drink. And that is tremendous progress. Recovery if for people who want it, not need it.

However, surrendering is a very important concept in recovery. Surrender is defined by the absence of your struggle for control. Once this struggle is dropped, then recovery can begin. You are still somewhat struggling for control. You need to let go of this fight since you are not going to win. You are still partly in denial by thinking that you can somehow maintain control and enjoying your drinking.

You need to 'let go' of this struggle. Do yourself a favor and release yourself from this struggle.

i don't even get the nice buzz drunk feeling i used to get. what's going on.
This happens over time. Alcohol stops being effective. However, I still drank way past that point. If you can learn from me, don't do it. It is simply not worth it.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You could be feeling withdrawal symptoms. Anxiety, sleeplessness, sweating, etc. You may want to talk to your doctor. He can prescribe meds that can help you through that....
Old 01-16-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I dont want to die......plain and simple. Because I know if I drink, it is going to kill me at some point. That is one thing I know for sure. I want to live.....and I don't mean breathing......I want to learn how to really live. You can do that to......you really can.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 1 I was nauseated and had diarrhea - this is Day 3 for me and I would love a drink - I am just going drink water and tea and get busy with the kids...I'm already looking a lot different, the bloat is going away, my skin is clearing up...my daughter was commenting on how smooth and shiny her hair is, well that was because instead of just putting her in the tub and shampooing her hair - I sat next to the tub and combed conditioner through her hair - I just didn't bother before when all I wanted was the next drink...what I'm trying to say is just focus, try to focus, on how much better everyone's life is gonna be, not just your own life but your whole family will have a better life...I dunno...also alcohol doesn't affect me unless I drink a lot - so if I start I know I won't stop...drinking is an endless vicious circle - with no end and no good outcome...when I feel the cravings, I think of alcohol as a demon trying to rope me in - maybe that's a little dramatic but I do think that way - like it wants me back so bad so it can ruin my life and the anger I feel keeps me from drinking...but like right now, I need to go drink some water and have some tea because, do I want a drink? yes, immensely...the drink is like an abusive boyfriend who's hard to get rid of...the drink is not your friend, it is your enemy...
Old 01-16-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

First I would suggest you pour the alcohol down the drain right away.

Then I would suggest you consider the experience of craving. It's awful--nearly unbearable, we all know that--and yet, I bet if you think about it, you'll realize that the cravings are not constant. Instead, they are like a wave: they build, and build, and BUILD, then peak and then...they subside. Maybe only a little, but they subside to the point where they are more manageable again.

The trick is not to give in at the peak.
Me personally, I found that the best thing to do with a "peaking" desire to drink was to eat something (for me, cravings turned out to be tied to blood sugar levels). That was by far the most effective thing. Also, exercise worked wonders. A walk, a bike ride, whatever. I know that others will suggest support group meetings (SMART Recovery, AA, etc.) or writing here or at other recovery support sites--and that could help too.

Finally, keep in mind that even though this deal seems utterly impossible right now, it DOES get easier. It really does. You will NOT have to fight these cravings forever, so hang in there!!!

OTT
Old 01-16-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Stop fighting and go to an AA meeting.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say Congratulations on not drinking for two days. That is really hard and I hope you are really proud of yourself.

One thing that I have found that helps me fight the urge (although it's not near as strong anymore like you are going through) is drinking a diet coke or decaf coffee around the house. Or hot cocoa is a nice treat. I have found that just simply having something else that gives me the ability to do the act is enough. Such as the lifting of the cup, putting to my face, taking a sip, putting it back. I get to satisfy that compulsion without getting drunk.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Pink - I cannot speak from a lot of experience on the recovery bit as I'm just finishing up day2 myself - coming off of 5years daily drinking. A few little things that have helped me so far:

1. I always had a beer in my hand when at home - now its a bottle of water. I think the constant water intake throughout the weekend has kept me from looking for a cold beer. I've even caught myself a few times thinking "where the hell did I sit my beer down?" - then kinda laugh it off, it was scary realizing I was looking for open bottle of beer when really I was trying to find where I just sat my water bottle down.

2. Cleaned out my fridge and freezer entirely of any alcohol AND bad food/unhealthy food. Went out and spent the next couple weeks of beer money on fresh fruits, veggies, organic foods/meats. It's pretty refreshing actually opening up what used to be 90% a fridge stocked with beer to see dozens of healthy meals that I can spend all this new found time making and eating. The eating clean bit I feel will help my body recovery from the mess I've put it through.

3. Picked up a good multi-vitamin, vitamin C, E, and B-Complex. I've been taking those along with my meals (not all at once, spead out, and proper dosages etc.)

I'm only on day2 but I actually feeling pretty decent even though I've only slept 3hrs all weekend. I hope tonight to be better.

I think a big part of getting off to the right start is full on comitment. When you mention that you feel you may have it under control, I think you need to give that thought up and face the facts.

Also to comment on getting sick after just a few - thats how I've been for the past year or so off and on. In the last couple of months of drinking I had to be careful not to cough or it would turn into heaving, and then you see where i'm going with this. Just keep trying - get rid of the alcohol you just bought and don't let anymore in the house. Get your husband to put the wine opener, glasses all that kinda stuff away where you can't see it to remind you. Good luck and best wishes in your recovery!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hope you did not drink.....if you can't pour the booze down the drain, give it away now.

i remember on my 4th day, i slept well woke up and cried with sheer relief of being sober and feeling really good physically.

take a pic of your self with your phone...and take a pic when you get to day 7...you will be amazed at the difference....in your face,
alcohol gave me a red bloated face an i was cosuming about 2000 empty wine calories every day....that's 14,000 extra sugar calories a week...i was flirting with diabetes too.

congrats on getting through your weekend, try to find something else to focus on right now...and keep posting.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

Originally Posted by pinkfirefly View Post
hey, this is my 2nd day with out drinking. and i am already going crazy. i actually caved and went to the store and bought a couple bottles of wine, and a bottle of vodka. now i'm at home. i havn't drank it yet. but i really want to. i just can't imagine going through the day with out having my drink. i feel so hopeless. i don't want to admit that i have a problem. i keep telling myself that i have my drinking under control, and i can stop any time i want. but obviously i can't. cuz i can't even stand to go one day with out a drink. looking back, i don't know how i let this happen to me. i used to be fine, and now i'm not. im gonna go to an aa meeting tomorrow. but how do i do this. how did you fight the urge to pick up that drink, when you want it so badly. is it just all about willpower? what if my will power is not strong enough. i don't feel strong enough. how did you do it, how did you fight the craving?

also, i don't know why, but every time i have a couple drinks it has been making me sick. it never used to do this to me. is something wrong with me or my body. cuz i just get dizzy and nauseaous, and get an upset stomach, and just feel horrible. i don't even get the nice buzz drunk feeling i used to get. what's going on.
Rampant alcoholism. Fed by a willing participant. "I don't understand what's going on". Its been explained to you at least 100 times. Re-asking the question won't change the solution. You are the one who needs to take the action. I am not only powerless over my alcoholism, I'm powerless over yours. A path can be laid out for you. The decision to walk it is yours.

I've read all of your threads and posts. There is no evidence that you have taken any advice or suggestion, or followed through with any commitment you have agreed to regarding your drinking.

I would strongly urge you to consider a foster care situation for your children. You display no indication that you are ready to take responsibility for your drinking at this time, and sadly, your children need adult care now. No child deserves, nor can I support, child abuse and child neglect. While I have no doubt you love your children, they don't deserve this. Needs trump wants when it comes to children.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alcohol exacerbated my depression which made me feel like drinkig more, which made me more depressed..it was vicious circle with no relief...i couldn't sleep so i would drink, which made me more unable to sleep.

now i sleep better than i did for 10 years....which helps my depression and getting a good night's sleep helps me think more positively....I deal with my problems like a logical, sane, calm person....People have commented that at work i smile and talk to them...(i used to just slam into my office and fight my hangovers late for work every day).

a wise person on this forum (Anna i think) wrote once that cravigs last about 7 minnutes. if you have a craving, try timing it....(i did), she's pretty much spot on..even i can distract myself for 7 minutes....once i scrubbed out the kitchen sink after i set the microwave timer.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I still think the best tool is support but a lot of people find this urge surfing technique is useful too

Overcoming Life's Obstacles: Urge Surfing to beat addictions and cravings

and here are some simple exercises (they're based on food and overeating, but I think the techniques apply - they're simple and may help...I don't recommend giving into the urge tho - alcohol is a lot more destructive than food....)

Urge Surfing – A Simple Technique For Overcoming Overeating/Sticking to a Diet

D
Old 01-16-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I see improvement in you Pink! If you made it one day, you at least know you can do that again! Many of us tried and failed over and over before it stuck for any longer amount of time. Congratulations Love! The ill feelings are natural. If they are happening while you drink, it is because your body is trying to reject the damage the alcohol is causing. I hope you can complete day two, but if not, try again tomorrow. Let us know okay?
Old 01-16-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi pink - if you can't get through the withdrawals, get your husband to drive you to the ER. Seriously, you need help to get through this. The fact that you've been getting sick after just a few drinks is not a good thing. I'd just hate to see you start throwing up blood or end up in the hospital with liver disease.

I think if you can get safely through the withdrawals, you'll have much better chance at seeing sobriety in a more positive light. I'm sending prayers your way......
Old 01-16-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Here's some info on why alcohol could be suddenly making you nauseous:
Go Ask Alice!: Suddenly, drinking alcohol makes me sick!
Old 01-16-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Pink - you're almost there. Day 2 and you're trying not to drink today.

That's progress regardless of what happens next.

My advice is to go to an AA meeting. It doesn't mean you're making any commitments, just go to just go and it'll take up your time with something contructive.

Keep up the good work. Keep posting and pour that down the drain.