Notices

My moderation plan ...

Old 10-24-2009, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My moderation plan ...

I typically drink at a neighborhood bar where I'm considered a regular.

I usually start with some sort of cocktail and typically it progress to cocktails plus shots.

I understand in theory 1 beer = 1 glass of wine = 1 shot of hard alcohol, but not being a particular fan of wine or having a demonstrated history of abusing beer (I get filled up to easily) I propose I limit my alcohol consumption to these 2 options.

What do you think of this ingenious plan?
Old 10-24-2009, 09:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK despite years of trying I'm not a moderation expert - I might be missing something, but don't you need to set a *drink* limit?

Otherwise you're just limiting your drinking to wine and beer, or cocktails and shots or whatever - and that's not moderation pboy, it's some kind of alcoholic 'diet'.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 10-24-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: oops
Old 10-24-2009, 10:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
Originally Posted by Pboy View Post
I typically drink at a neighborhood bar where I'm considered a regular.

I usually start with some sort of cocktail and typically it progress to cocktails plus shots.

I understand in theory 1 beer = 1 glass of wine = 1 shot of hard alcohol, but not being a particular fan of wine or having a demonstrated history of abusing beer (I get filled up to easily) I propose I limit my alcohol consumption to these 2 options.

Wow. Only beer and wine - who would have thunk?

The number of such "ingenious" moderation plans is probably limited only to your imagination. If your first experiment fails, then maybe a revised one with only white wine instead of red, or light beer instead of regular? Or, maybe the solution lies in "only Guinness"?

As long as failing at your attempts don't land you in permanent hot water or a jail cell, I'd recommend setting a reasonable limit to the number of such attempts at moderation AND provide yourself with a Plan B should all your attempts fail. Preferably a Plan B that includes abstinence from booze.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ago

Keep doing what you are doing

when you are done, come see us

oh, here's a hug :ghug3
Old 10-24-2009, 10:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pboy View Post
Well, I think you should give it a try.

And come back and let us know how it works out for you.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm an accomplished drinker, but there's no way I could approach a 12 pack of beer ... I'd be too full. In the last 30+ years of drinking I don't believe I've ever done that.

Likewise with wine, the tannins would tear my stomach up.

I maybe wrong I just can't imagine myself getting trashed on either at this point. That's not to say down the road these beverages couldn't become equally as problematic as hard alcohol, but not at this moment in time.

We'll see ... if it doesn't workout and my alcohol consumption is still a problem, I'll quit for good.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mergirl

Good Luck=)

I went from hard alcohol to only beer

beer to only hard

fridays only

2 drinks per night only

special occasions only

I always managed to wake up hung over, vowing not to drink that night, only to repeat the whole thing later. For me, the only way I can set a rule and keep it is to not have any, because after that first one, my rules get all bendy. My standards get lower. My morals get foggy. My resolve gets squishy.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Never bought beer for myself--don't like it. Pretty much what you said, fills me up. Hate the taste. Plus it gives me a hangover.

Wine, well, that's always meant to me a glass with dinner or so. I would think of abusing wine like I'd think of abusing Lysol or vanilla... nope.

Liquor, well, there you got me. Or better put, it's got me.

But if you took away all the liquor I could reach, I would have went for a beer or a bottle of wine--and then several of each until I got as drunk as a knocking back a fifth of 80 proof, however many that takes. And then I'd do the same thing again tomorrow.

But that's only me. I agree with Sailorjohn...

Well, I think you should give it a try.

And come back and let us know how it works out for you.
'Cause you, like anyone, can hear/read all there is to hear/read. You might not believe any of it till you've been to where the speaker has been, and understand why they're saying the things they do... which would put you roughly in the same position as about half of us here on SR, myself included. Knucklehead crowd...

Best of luck,
-TB
Old 10-25-2009, 12:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Good luck with the plan anyway. I still drink a few times a week but could never moderate how much I drink on those nights. I found (FOR ME) that limiting the days I drink works. Its worked for me. It sure beat drinking every day like I used to.
So good luck and be careful
Old 10-25-2009, 01:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you can moderate ... good for you..would be nice for you..
Otherwise we will see you here again, l hope.

Voltaire:
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by north View Post
Or, maybe the solution lies in "only Guinness"?

Good luck.
Man if I would have had the cash I would have liked to have tried that one before I stopped hahaha... I'm grateful I don't have to play those games with myself today though. Its everyone's inalienable right to try some easier softer way... come back when it doesn't work we are all here to support you
Old 10-25-2009, 03:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If it works for you then fair enough. I have tried it and it does not work for me. I just steadily drink more and more and earlier in the day. On day 2 again today and I am telling myself again that I cannot have any at or.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If your plan works for you, great! I could never moderate my drinking. I'd always end up drinking the whole bottle or more.

If your plan doesn't work, do try quitting completely. If you never have that first drink, you can't have too many.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

What is moderation?

According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control

Moderate drinking is no more than
2 drinks a day for men..1 for women

They consider a drink to be
12 oz. of beer..5 oz. of wine...1 1/2 oz of liquor.

Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.
They all do the same damage.
Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum

Glad to see you posting here too.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
jimbo

the way i look at it it takes me probably a bottle of jack d to even notice i have had a drink ,i can down 20 pints and still feel sober no trouble

if i drink that much i will die

if i dont drink that much i'm sober ..so what on earth is the point of me listening to my drinking buddies saying stuff like "go on one drink wont kill you" etc

my point being if i'm not gona even notice i've had two let alone get drunk on two there is no point whats so ever me drinking them at all

and the temptation to go find my buzz whilst i'm in a pub may be to greatt for me once i get the taste
Old 10-25-2009, 05:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

think you should go back and read your post from when you arrived on SR .. drunk and pasted out in your car
Old 10-25-2009, 06:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endzoner View Post
think you should go back and read your post from when you arrived on SR .. drunk and pasted out in your car
I'm aware of that post, but like I said that was after a night of hard liquor and shots (to include Jagermeister).

Rarely if ever (in 30 years of drinking) have I ever approached that point drinking beer OR wine.

The trick will be not to switch off once I get that full feeling from beer. I don't think it would be possible to mix a significant amount of other alcohol with wine without a distinct possibility of hurling.

btw, if the "moderation plan" doesn't work ... I will quit completely.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

good luck..i hope it works out.
and if it dont........well dont be afraid to say it didnt..

my thinking was/is different from yours.
what the point if your not gonna get blitzed....i just dont get it.
oh sure ive tricked myself into believeing i can.

waking up in the morning.........not understanding how i got drunk....where i am....or... "who the hell is that"......

enjoy.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

After a fair amount of sober time (coming up on 16 months), I'm realizing the lengths some people will go to just to keep from admitting they have a real problem with alcohol. We make all kinds of "deals" with others and ourselves, just so we can keep drinking. I mean...what's so friggin' great about drinking alcohol? There are so many other beverages out there that taste better and don't leave us sick and feeling like we've been run over by a truck, waking up in our car, waking up not knowing where we are, waking up wondering where is my car?? But, for some strange reason, we'll practically tie ourselves in knots just so we can continue to consume alcohol. We analyze it, re-analyze it and over-analyze it, just so we can keep drinking.

Pboy, I really hope this latest deal you are making with yourself will work for the long haul. Chances are though, that it won't. However, if you're not ready to just stop drinking for good, nothing we say, and no deals you make, are going to convince you how much better off you will be to just not drink anymore.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
jimbo

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
After a fair amount of sober time (coming up on 16 months), I'm realizing the lengths some people will go to just to keep from admitting they have a real problem with alcohol. We make all kinds of "deals" with others and ourselves, just so we can keep drinking. I mean...what's so friggin' great about drinking alcohol? There are so many other beverages out there that taste better and don't leave us sick and feeling like we've been run over by a truck, waking up in our car, waking up not knowing where we are, waking up wondering where is my car?? But, for some strange reason, we'll practically tie ourselves in knots just so we can continue to consume alcohol. We analyze it, re-analyze it and over-analyze it, just so we can keep drinking.

Pboy, I really hope this latest deal you are making with yourself will work for the long haul. Chances are though, that it won't. However, if you're not ready to just stop drinking for good, nothing we say, and no deals you make, are going to convince you how much better off you will be to just not drink anymore.
great post