Notices

progress

Old 08-25-2003, 02:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Chy

Well that makes perfect sense Pianogirl!

Fortunatly I did not have to go through withdrawls but Weibe is struggling to come off the stuff and I hope they do give him something to ease his discomfort. I just pass on what I hear and read. That's why I love this place we all learn something each day.

Have a good one!
Old 08-26-2003, 05:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

hi, some days go better than others, and today isn't one of the better ones. Woke up with the thought of calling the doctor, and that got me depressed. The man has an impecible professional reputation, built up through not taking any risks. I know in advance there's no way he'll prescribe anything to someone he's already written off, and risk his professional standing.
I do have a question though. The normal DT's aren't so bad any more and the tightness in my chest isn't unbearable anymore. What I'd like to know is does anyone have experience with something that resembles epilepsy. That the hands and feet start moving on their own when waking up or dropping off to sleep? The closer I move towards being sober, the harder the alcohol fights to keep it's control. Any advice?
Thanks,
Wiebe
Old 08-26-2003, 07:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Weibe,

Yes some days are better then others, which is to be expected and happens to everyone sober or not. Maybe you should try another doctor. I wouldn't be worrying about the other doc and his reputation I worry about you. Please find another doc, a fresh start with a new doc might be just the thing to get you better on track.

As for the spasms I went through that and still do. It is quite disturbing and normal! I was reading an article where in the majority of cases it was vitamin deficiancy which is a problem with most alcholics. When I could fianlly eat normally I'd take and still do vitamins with iron everyother day it has helped with those muscle jitters tremendously. Your body is trying to heal.
I don't think it's epilepsy, but we always think the worst. Hope you have a better day, hope you find another doc and if not to hell with the other one go back, be honest with him, tell him how bad you want sobriety and what can he do to help. This is your health we're talking about.

Thinking of you and wishing you well.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Paused

time to change doctors...

Wiebe,

Chy is right. You deserve to have a doctor that will listen to you and put your best interests at heart. I know it's hard to believe, but there are actually doctors out there that DO care about people. lol Keep searching until you find one that will take care of you and help you as you go through a bad time. Perhaps you can call some local agencies/hospitals/rehabs to find ones that deal with addiction in particular.

The doctor that helped me through my detox was very good to me. He had family members that suffered from alcohol addiction, so he kind of knew where I was coming from. I don't know the doctor that you've been talking about, but if he doesn't want to help you, then it sounds like he's a complete jerk anyway. Find a doc that will help you, and listen to you. I've worked for many idiot doctors over the years (that suffer from the "God" syndrome), and you have to be firm with them and tell them "LOOK Doc, this is how I feel, and this is the kind of help I want from you".

I'm sorry you're having a bad day today. Keep your chin up and keep posting here. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. If it's any consolation, I've had one of those days today too.

Take Care!

PG

PS - B Vitamins are good for those spasms. Like Chy said, they are mostly due to electrolite/mineral deficiencies.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Chy & PG, thanks for posting. I understand about doctors and "God syndrome" but in Holland they ARE God. Very few doctors take new patients and they can treat people any way they like. A bunch of frustration at this point would not be helpfull.
Today is a much better day. I think both of you are right about the body starting to heal. The withdrawl symptoms are different now, and I'm guessing they aren't caused by the consumption from the last weeks (which wasn't that much) but from the last years. Logical really. Any living thing survives by living on what it can find to feed on. A switch from beer all day, everyday, to solid meals and a lot less beer with big chunks of sobriety has got to shake up the system.
Also mentaly. The haze seems to have built itself up to become reality, and sparks of sobriety seem to build on themselves the same way. Being awake and sober is just a bit of a shock, and it seems both body and mind need to readapt to this state.
I'll get some vitamins today. The BB also mentioned prolonged undernourishment making recovery more difficult. Worth a try, and thanks for the tips.
Wiebe
Old 08-27-2003, 08:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Chy

Glad your having a better day. Hope you got the vitamins. Are you eating well? If your having a hard time with that break up your food intake to 5 baby meals. It won't be such a shock to the system and easy on the digestion. Take the vitamins with meals, they tore my stomach up when I tried to take them on an alcohol filled or empty stomach.

Glad your chunks of sobriety or becoming appealing. Yes this whole sobriety thing is a shock pysically and mentally. I suffered more mentally, rollercoaster of emotions for several weeks, thought I was loosing my mind. Just the fog lifting. Like a person who has been deaf or blind all their life and then instantly can see or hear. The senses are not used to such a shock and it makes them a bit "nuts". Same for us. It's definitly a new experiance learning to live sober!

Your closer than you think, now get your self psyched up to just quit! No more procrastinating. See JSHs post in the newcomers forum. He is going through detox this week, maybe you two can help each other through the next couple of days. It would be easier to share and actually do it I think with someone in the same situation. It's time Weibe, it's time to take your life back completly. I hope your ready.
*hugs*
Old 08-27-2003, 10:31 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally posted by Chy
Glad your having a better day. Hope you got the vitamins. Are you eating well? If your having a hard time with that break up your food intake to 5 baby meals. It won't be such a shock to the system and easy on the digestion. Take the vitamins with meals, they tore my stomach up when I tried to take them on an alcohol filled or empty stomach.

Glad your chunks of sobriety or becoming appealing. Yes this whole sobriety thing is a shock pysically and mentally. I suffered more mentally, rollercoaster of emotions for several weeks, thought I was loosing my mind. Just the fog lifting. Like a person who has been deaf or blind all their life and then instantly can see or hear. The senses are not used to such a shock and it makes them a bit "nuts". Same for us. It's definitly a new experiance learning to live sober!

Your closer than you think, now get your self psyched up to just quit! No more procrastinating. See JSHs post in the newcomers forum. He is going through detox this week, maybe you two can help each other through the next couple of days. It would be easier to share and actually do it I think with someone in the same situation. It's time Weibe, it's time to take your life back completly. I hope your ready.
*hugs*
Hi, Wiebe,
I like the idea of "chunks of sobriety"--now you can look more closely, when you drink, at what your body and mind like about it. You mention having a few beers now and then, as opposed to having a continuous stream of beer in your system. So, when you open one beer you (like most people here, I'd imagine) go on to two or three or more? That tells me that it's the first beer we should focus on. That was the case with me as well--one glass of wine led to a bottle, and so on, so NOT opening the bottle in the first place was the key to stopping.

I know we're not supposed to give medical advice here, but I'd ask your doctor to do a liver function test. My limited knowledge on all this is that some of the B vitamins (niacin? thiamine?) can to damage if your liver is impaired. So I'd be careful about the mega/multi/allday vitamin formulations, until you know better how your body is doing. Also, I learned that calcium deficiency is pretty common in heavy drinkers, so drinking milk or chewing Tums might be useful. Leg cramps can be a side-effect of calcium deficiency--or so I'm told. Maybe if you had a written list of questions prepared when you went in to the doctor you'd get more out of him. My doctors have always been pretty reticent, but they've been happy to answer specific questions (we'd all benefit from the answers--in fact, maybe we could help you draw up your list!).

I agree with Chy: it sounds to me as though you're getting ready to quit. Time to try 24 hours? If you make that commitment, let's plan for how you're going to deal with the urges. Remember, most people who quit successfully
--make a firm commitment to sobriety;
--make lifestyle changes;
--plan and practice for urges.
Then, it's on to 72....

Don S
Old 08-28-2003, 04:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Paused

Weibe,
I agree you most likely need medical supervision to detox. Is there any possibility you could detox at an inpatient clinic for a few days. Also, have you found an AA to go to there?
Hugs
Old 08-28-2003, 06:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Chy & Don, ya the time is getting close. Those vitamins seem to be incredible. I asked my girlfriend if the minimal shaking this morning could be the result of the vitamins working already, she said it could. They work fast apperantly. I thought it would take weeks. Had a bit of an upset stomach, but I've been building that up for months with reduced intake of beer, water and good solid meals. Don, my g/f said the same thing you did about a damaged liver and one of those vitamins. I can't see a vitamin doing more damage than what has already been done to it. Specific questions for my doctor are answered with "you've chosen to make such a mess of your body, no drug I prescribe will work the way it should". That's not going to help. Did buy some mineral water today though, there's supposed to be calcium in there. There's also Cup a Soup here for the salt. Chy, I'll look for JSH in the newcomers forum.
--make a firm commitment to sobriety; yup, having few beer after I quit will eventually lead back to square one. No illusions about that.
--make lifestyle changes; busy with that, accomplished alot.
--plan and practice for urges. tough one, working on it.
First a whole 24 Don, and I'll know when I'm ready. I've already warned people about this becoming an alcohol-free zone soon.
Thanks for the tips and support,
Wiebe
Old 08-28-2003, 06:47 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi Cowboy, you're online early in the morning I see. How are you doing? Got your PM and responded. Ya, it would be fine to wake up sober and just stay that way. Medical help won't make the big difference, what I WANT will. There's no AA presence here, but there's got to be in Houston, did you make contact?
All the best,
Wiebe
Old 08-28-2003, 10:17 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Chy

Hey Weibe like the idea of the heads up to everyone about the "alcohol free zone" ! I hope they will all be supportive. Glad the vitamins work, I must take mine with food or it tears up my stomach still. Yea, they do work fast and makes you feel better huh? I like how it makes my head feel...clear. I haven't had any muscle spasms in over a week now. So I think my body is finally absorbing nutrients properly. OK .. holding my breath for your first 24... happy your doing so well, talk soon.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Paused

Wiebe,

Glad to hear you're feeling better!! Those vitamins DO help a lot. When I was detoxing in hospital, my doctor put me on Thiamine (B Viatamin), and told me that during heavy alcohol consumption, your body looses massive amounts of B Vitamins (especially Thiamine), and that taking them helps during withdrawal. It is especially helpful for preventing DT's - which are STILL a very serious thing for heavy drinkers today, believe me, coz I went through them, and I'm only 24 years old, and had only drank for a year. I was depleted in vitamins also (because I was drinking alcohol as my main source of nutrition).

So it's good you're taking the vitamins now - take care of yourself once you go on complete detox, and watch for the signs of DT's (high BP, rapid pulse, sweating, severe anxiety, fever, hallucinations, seizures, severe paranoia, delirium, dilated pupils, etc). I didn't realize how dangerous they could be until I almost died from them. Mine came on during the 2nd day.

You take good care of yourself, ok? Keep posting, and get plenty of rest and fluids.

PG
Old 08-29-2003, 06:57 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Chy, the first 24 is happening right now. Went to JSH's thread and a few people joined in a day or two behind him. Cool. After reading the posts here I thought why not go for it. My g/f and I applied for a house awhile back and we got it. We were going to go take a look, but that would mean walking by most of the stores and snackbars in the city. We'll take a look tommorow. My ex son in law is on the way over to have a coffee. PG, he's also 24 and used to drink as much as I used to, and I thought it must be because of his age that he didn't shake like me. Guess that's not it. Going through what you and some of the others went through is what I am trying to avoid by gradually reducing this way. I also have to say that there is no way I'm trying to go back to normal drinking. I know for a fact that can never work. Tried every way and then some. It doesn't work. Reducing in a this way while always keeping the ultimate goal in mind has been working, and sobriety is steadily building up. Hope to post the first full 24 tommorow.
Wiebe
Old 08-29-2003, 07:01 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

By the way, my ex son in law says he's quiting too. Contagious this quiting stuff.
Wiebe
Old 08-29-2003, 08:15 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Chy

*big hugs*

Whoooopeeee!!! I am celebrating in advance since I know your gonna make it! Glad to hear your son-in-law is hopping on the wagon with you. You can be a great means of support for each other.

Bite the bullet, hang on tight your gonna probably have a little discomfort but if you can make it 3-4 days the worst will be over and you'll be well on your way. I am praying for you my friend!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:01 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally posted by wiebe lemstra
Hi Chy, the first 24 is happening right now. Went to JSH's thread and a few people joined in a day or two behind him. Cool. After reading the posts here I thought why not go for it. My g/f and I applied for a house awhile back and we got it. We were going to go take a look, but that would mean walking by most of the stores and snackbars in the city. We'll take a look tommorow. My ex son in law is on the way over to have a coffee. PG, he's also 24 and used to drink as much as I used to, and I thought it must be because of his age that he didn't shake like me. Guess that's not it. Going through what you and some of the others went through is what I am trying to avoid by gradually reducing this way. I also have to say that there is no way I'm trying to go back to normal drinking. I know for a fact that can never work. Tried every way and then some. It doesn't work. Reducing in a this way while always keeping the ultimate goal in mind has been working, and sobriety is steadily building up. Hope to post the first full 24 tommorow.
Wiebe
Wiebe! This is great!
--24 hours underway...
--a companion in sobriety...
--You've made plans for the triggers and urges...
You are well on your way, my friend.

Having your ex-son-in-law joining you can be very helpful. Even if you don't particularly talk about it, there's comfort in sharing the experience. It only takes two people to make a support group--not to mention all the folks here in our cyber sober family.
Thanks for the post, Wiebe, and talk to you soon.

Don S
Old 08-29-2003, 09:11 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Whooooooo-hoooooooooo!

Does the happy dance with Chy for Weibe!

We're all pulling for you!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Paused

Hey Weibe,
It sounds like things are going well. Keep up the good work. The only AA meeting I've been to (except as a nursing student) was online. It was live chat so it was almost like being face to face.
I am still sober Yeah! and no urges to drink.
I'll be out all weekend with labor day holiday! I will look for good news from your end on MonPM.
Hugs
:band
Old 08-29-2003, 11:00 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Paused

Yeah!

I'm so glad for you Wiebe!!! You're gonna get through this, and we're all cheering you on... remember that your life is going to be SO much better sober. You've come a longgg way so far, and getting past your first 24 hours will only put you on a much better road. The road of sobriety. Take care of yourself, and know we're all thinking of you and wishing you the very best for your first 24 hours!

Keep posting, and keep us updated on how things are going with you tonight....

PG
Old 08-29-2003, 02:09 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi Wiebe...glad to see you are taking that first 24 hour break, if you experience anything like I have, it will be completely unpleasant for 4 days or so, but today is day 6 complete for me and I am feeling so much better, the real bad withdrawal symptoms are gone, just have some minor discomfort in the mornings now....no way in hell do I want to pick up another drink and have to go through this all over again.
Best of luck to you.......Keep it up.

jsh