Notices

It's Do or Die about Your Alcoholism

Old 02-08-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's Do or Die about Your Alcoholism

There are fundamental lessons that are so ingrained in many of us who have been successful in arresting alcoholism. First in identifying our problem, second having the will to do something about it, thirdly taking a course of action, and lastly,... probably the most important aspect ...sticking to it..have faith that it worked for others...and will work for you..i.e sticking to it...without letting that aspect of the defeatist part of the mind to take over

Alcoholism has often been described as cunning, baffling and powerful. It's the type of illness that tells you it's not that bad...You tell yourself that your intention, your willpower is all that is necessary to stop drinking..There's a problem in that type of thinking, that type of intended commitment..Things in your life might begin to turn to the better after some rough times...A party, a wedding...a feeling of well being associated with the occasion...one drink won't hurt...yeah I can control it..that's all it takes...”the mind's take” of events of this nature..has been repeated over time immemorial....Alcohol is cunning, baffling, powerful and patient...just waiting to exert it's presence.

Alcoholism..The term itself is just an idea..it has impact in the “intellectual sense”...It's difficult to understand how it hurts us...What we do know is that it is the alcohol that's hurting us. We see it, we feel it, we've experienced the damaging results...Alcohol is our problem. What we do know is that people who have problems with alcohol; most, but not all, are termed alcoholics. The descriptive nature of this problem with alcohol is termed alcoholism.

This may seem rather self evident, a bit too fundamental. Our mind has already made this association..but it is extremely important to know this very point... only for one reason...and that reason is this...Alcohol is only the tip of the iceberg. What is required is to treat the illness that we term Alcoholism...That's what will kill you. Alcohol is only the damaging agent. You first need to put the plug in the jug..Once that's accomplished..Then the candidate can begin a very simple, not too subtle treatment to arrest this illness.. Again many of us who have been successfully living, time immemorial, with the illness will tell you..the first 90 days is like hell..”like a boot camp” The cravings, the compulsions the obsessions to drink are so strong, the pain at times both physically and emotionally, for many are so great, that we seek immediate relief, a way out..from this cold turkey standard, a necessary first start to our treatment.. Statistically it's been found that as many as 50% will give up in this first 90 day phase alone...The mind and the spirit..a complex personal abstract mechanism, that we really know little about. Many at this point who fail will blame the treatment...Why blame self when you don't have too?..It's easier that way to justify failure..yet responsibility lies directly on the candidates shoulders...There is an expression...Rarely do we see a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path..If anyone, speaking from personal experience, has ever walked in a jungle rain forest...don't lose the path..Instead of getting from A to B..like others who have successfully “stuck to the path”...you just wander around...you wander around too long and things begin to deteriorate and can be fatal.

Some tough it out these 90 days considering it a real personal and physical challenge, start leveling out.. even begin experiencing some of life's splendors again, a returning feeling of well being... and bang..get hit with the bottle from left field..again the cunning baffling powerful and patient aspect of the illness alcoholism..only to be crushed again with it's agent alcohol....This is not a time to let up..but use the lessons learned to grow along the required spiritual lines..Don't get it confused with religious lines...Religion hasn't yet cured alcoholism..and it has had a long track record, unsuccessfully in trying..of course there will always be exceptions like in everything else in life.

Recently I wanted to get to a destination in a foreign country..My language skills were so bad that people who were willing to help..didn't get the right information from me finding it difficult to pinpoint EXACTLY where I wanted to go..My vocabulary and grammar skills lacking. I was pointed in many directions...and to my frustration..all wrong all dead ends..Enough of this... finally I found someone who was fluent both in English and Spanish...They of course had enough of the required skills to find out from me where I wanted to go...find the appropriate people who knew the answer..and through communication skills able to solve my problem.

Once we identify the problem the solution becomes simple, in my case I was muddled with confusion and ignorance because I wasn't dealing with the problem appropriately which was finding a way to successfully communicate.. The solution was rather easy and available once identified. I also began to realize that my own personal communication skills, could greatly improve if I worked on it..with books and practice..first in simple things, the building blocks for the more complex..all grounded in fundamentals.

With alcoholism, the standard treatment was recognized about 75 years ago..but for one reason or another, many got it right away..following simple instructions..and there lives improved after time..They kept their treatment plan, simple going one day at a time..renewing their commitment on a daily basis whether things were good or bad.. recognizing their problem wasn't associated with the good and bad that life seems to offer at times.

Those today who are successful have gotten the proper directions and realize the solution is “sticking to it” hell or come high water, as mentioned in the opening remarks.

Why am I telling you this. Well the rationale is simple, I've been successful in arresting this illness one day at a time. I also realize, like many others who have been equally successful, that part of this success is due to the fact that it is incumbent upon me to share with others my experience in order to help others...Those with a clear mind, well intentioned to be successful might conclude that if I want to be successful in arresting this illness, if I do the same things, as those successful, I will get the same results.. and that's correct. There was even a recipe book written, telling me how others who are successful did it...The mature mind will conclude that if I follow the recipe I will also enjoy the same success..The childish sick contentious mind will personalize it..calling it dogma... somehow a threat the way their sick alcoholic mind works..fighting the very idea of what was intended..The answer of course to this rationale of those who wrote it is evident...We don't give a damn what you think about it... or even accept it...That's your decision..We didn't write this for people who necessarily needed it, but for those who want what we have....our way out from the grip of alcoholism...Take it or leave it..This is what we did to be successful...this is the steps that we took.. Cut your own path if you wish but don't blame us..We've been successful...you have not, so you might want to consider growing up... Criticism of success is for losers. Alcoholics have, as a group, often been described by the medical community of being rather immature..so accept it and learn from informed opinion through the success of others, as validation of the facts.

The intellect and the will again as mentioned are complex.. spirituality is complex..that's why it's easily misunderstood or confused with religion. Some refuse or are unable to see or understand its simplicity. Some even recognizing the simplicity, will hurt themselves exploring for alternatives, why?..who knows... probably looking for aneasier softer way..a magic bullet....It has unfortunately, to our detriment become part of our fast moving culture.

Most who offer magic bullets are opportunists gradually leading their followers down a dead end path...There is a lot of money to be made in offering magic bullets. Just another take on the snake oil salesman of the past and their scam of cure-alls.

Statistics are an interpretive record..They reveal to this writer, to this recovered alcoholic a reason why too many are giving up, maybe they don't have a desire to stop drinking or are not totally committed, looking for the snake oil salesman that they heard about....More and more these salesman see their opportunity...their market based upon failure, is increasing...Their pitch becoming slicker and slicker..while laughing all the way to the bank. The time tested program stating there are no dues and fees..just some self supporting fees that are voluntary. Recovery is free, if you work for it...The word work...perhaps repulsive in today's modern culture, looking for the quick easy fix.

Time tested programs don't fail people fail...why?...because they refuse to follow simple instructions..it may be simple, but it's not easy...and for many who are unwilling to give it their all... they seem to feel there may be another option, another way out. This is the psychology of a loser, a quitter..I'll find something else..I'll find another path...This works for them but not for me..The alcoholic has often been described as an egomaniac with an inferiority complex..

In a way you might say those first 100 who wrote that Big Book relating to their recovery were lucky. Communication, the Internet and other ways of quick convenient mass information exchanges were not available..there were no magic bullets, no defeatist statistics being offered . No loud forum for damaging cynicism. There was one recognizable path “stick to it.”.. It's either you stick to it and win...or go your own path and die...It really is do or die. For many of us we have seen many die, and like me try to find a way to communicate, the light of reason, the ***** in the armor, so to speak to the still suffering, through the wisdom of our own respective experience.

If you got nothing out of this by the way, I did. “A mucho important point” in recovery, I earned another day of sobriety. I learned you got to give it away..to get it...As already mentioned, it's simple but not easy; but I recognize, and am grateful for that virtue... or that light of reasoning...call it a gift, the gift of stick-tuitiveness....

Whether you embrace the program or not, I shall not lose any sleep, my job just passing on the recipe of personal success in recovery as I understand it..As often been expressed, you can't knock success. Even Carl Jung applauded Bill Wilson for that one...after he give up on treating alcoholism...The key as I see it...stick with the winners...it has a tendency to rub off...

Tomas
sobriety date: January 1974

Last edited by Tomas; 02-08-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I absolutely agree with the first paragraph of your post Tomas regarding the fundamental lessons learned by people who have successfully achieved sobriety.

Identify the problem.
Be willing to do something about it.
Take action.
Stick to it.

Thanks for the post.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The first paragraph bugs is only the pep talk...You don't win in the locker room..That's the easy part.

The rest of the paragraphs bugs was the game plan...the only plan in winning the battle...read on...don't give up after the first paragraph... It doesn't come easy..It's a contact sport...get in the game...bugs...LOL
Old 02-08-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm already in the game Tomas...again thanks for the locker room pep talk!
Old 02-08-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I just got back from my non-conventional AA meeting. There is a man there with almost 22 years of sobriety and one just shy of 2 years. Neither have worked the Steps. They are not childish or immature and certainly are not losers or quitters.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Time tested programs don't fail people fail...why?...because they refuse to follow simple instructions..it may be simple, but it's not easy...and for many who are unwilling to give it their all... they seem to feel there may be another option, another way out. This is the psychology of a loser, a quitter..I'll find something else..I'll find another path...This works for them but not for me..The alcoholic has often been described as an egomaniac with an inferiority complex..
AA works for some people and some people try AA and leave and then find their own way...this is not being a loser.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found my programme and I stick to it - just because that programme is not AA, doesn't make me a loser, or make my mind childish sick or contentious either.

I've freed myself from bondage, regained my life and re-awoken my spirit - it doesn't come better than that

No one has a monopoly on being happily recovered Tomas - however much you want to believe it or tell me it's so.

You have a lot of sober time - I guess I have high expectations of old timers - I'd prefer to see a positive post extolling the virtues of AA...without the need to tear down those who find a different but no less successful path.

D
Old 02-08-2009, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just can't understand why it matters so much to some people how others get sober?

I am in this to save my own life and to make that life worth living, I love to read about others who have the sobriety I crave and I could really not care less how they get it.

Can we please stop this my way is the only way stuff it is starting to wear me down.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Tomas

Good post, maybe you could whack a dumb down version in the newcomers section, perhaps focussing more on the way into AA and the reasons to go and give it a try with an open mind? Seems a lot of people have reservations and maybe you could encourage some new recruits?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

hi Tomas

Time tested programs don't fail people fail...why?...because they refuse to follow simple instructions..it may be simple, but it's not easy...and for many who are unwilling to give it their all... they seem to feel there may be another option, another way out. This is the psychology of a loser, a quitter..

that described me at one time in my life.
I had the psychology(the thinking) of a loser.I was a loser.I lost at the drinking "game".
I could not drink successfully.I could not quit drinking successfully.I failed at both.So,I came into AA a loser.Today thats all different Because I did what everyone suggested and stuck to it.Today,It`s all been turned around.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The purpose of putting this post on this forum was not about AA but about the cunning baffling power of ALCOHOLISM...and why people do not recover..My observations of the disease..The many succeses I've seen and unfortunately the many failures..."Relating that in understandible format..is my job... MY Primary Purpose... Sharing my strength Hope and EXPERIENCE...Reading the comments most have missed the ball...or are struggling to find answers.

Well Dad..You knocked the ball right out of the park...God Bless you

It's sad that several above missed the point...Without mentioning AA or making direct references...It was about "FAILURE is NOT an option" unless you so WILLFULLY CHOSE FAILURE..but not necessary..

Dee I wish you luck...We surely will never see Eye to Eye...I found Lenny Bruce to be a vile little man, trying to make a living with a foul mouth...."I never did it..I just said it..Is a person who takes no responsibility"...nothing there to be admired..I'm sorry...

Knob...Anyone in AA who has been sober for many years and claim they have not taken the steps is in my estimation a little off to say the least... WHY? It serves no purpose but drawing attention to self..probably untrue and certainly an irresponsible message to hand a new comer...I've seen it before..some people only too happy to tell others what they want to hear. There are a few probably who have not..They keep it to themselves..
>>>AA certainly has it's share of nut cases...

Allport you have a very narrow perspective of my message...

I'm not so interested in the people who get sober ALLPORT my message was directed to those who are STRUGGLNG...those still suffering..to hang in there...I interpret your message as verging on the Narcissistic..."If it's not a problem for ME...why would others want to break MY sensibilities."".meaning yours of course...You sound YOUNG

Stone..Those who drift off claiming they will find there own way..never seem too..I suggest before commenting you re-read...your comprehension is terrible...You seem to be lost in the jungle..I'm sorry..

My time and further interest on this thread has just about run out..The comments.. not all...silly and intellectually unconvincing to my post..There was one bullseye... reading between the lines, the rest couldn't even find the dart board.. Maybe next week I'll post again...."I'm certainly not looking for attention..Just telling it like it is".

Tomas
Old 02-08-2009, 05:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
Knob...Anyone in AA who has been sober for many years and claim they have not taken the steps is in my estimation a little off to say the least... WHY? It serves no purpose but drawing attention to self..probably untrue and certainly an irresponsible message to hand a new comer...I've seen it before..some people only too happy to tell others what they want to hear. There are a few probably who have not..They keep it to themselves..
This was not a traditional AA meeting, it was styled after these:

Agnostic A.A. Meetings in New York City

And he was speaking on topic.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

oh dear

Maybe next week I'll post again...."I'm certainly not looking for attention..Just telling it like it is".
rock on, Tomas
D
Old 02-08-2009, 07:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Tomas
The alcoholic has often been described as an egomaniac with an inferiority complex..
Its not very often do I get the chance to fully understand the above quote. Let alone see it in action.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I sure am glad that 99% of the AA members that frequent SR are accepting of all.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tomas
Stone..Those who drift off claiming they will find there own way..never seem too..I suggest before commenting you re-read...your comprehension is terrible...You seem to be lost in the jungle..I'm sorry..

I can't be bothered re-reading the excessively long ramblings of a self-satisfied windbag who thinks he is cleverer than he really is.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If this is what 35 years of sobriety looks like?I'd rather drink thanks.

I have more humble, giving friends here, some who have only one week sober.I think I'll stick with them.They're the real winners in my eyes.Every day matters and they don't see anyone else as loser.

There but for the grace of God go I.

Jules.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've written so many angry responses, but I keep deleting them out of respect for the community. I'll leave with this.

Tomas: You'd think after 34 or so years, you'd get step 12.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Tomas,after re reading over your post,I have to say I agree with every bit of it.That post verifies my experience,in other words,thats what I have done.I have seen quite a few fail because it looked to me like they gave up,for reasons unknown to me.Quite a few of those are dead now.
The number is close to 75 over the last 20 yrs here is this small rural area I live in.That is just the ones I know about.I believe it is tragic because they once had the chance to live and rejected it.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by allport View Post
I just can't understand why it matters so much to some people how others get sober?

I am in this to save my own life and to make that life worth living, I love to read about others who have the sobriety I crave and I could really not care less how they get it.

Can we please stop this my way is the only way stuff it is starting to wear me down.

Excellent.