Notices

Sober Vapers Part 2

Old 05-31-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

You can do it repeatedly, nothing will break. You either see it go down after say 20 seconds or there's something else (less than optimal connection, or coil just effectively is a .2. There's always some variance, but .2 does sound a tad too high.)

It takes about 5 minutes for coil & device to cool down sufficiently. Waiting longer than that isn't really useful. Say 10 minutes max.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChiefBromden View Post
You can do it repeatedly, nothing will break. You either see it go down after say 20 seconds or there's something else (less than optimal connection, or coil just effectively is a .2. There's always some variance, but .2 does sound a tad too high.)

It takes about 5 minutes for coil & device to cool down sufficiently. Waiting longer than that isn't really useful. Say 10 minutes max.
So I actually want to leave the coil sitting on the unpowered mod for 5-10 minutes and continue checking resistance until it goes down to match (or be close) to what the resistance of the coil is?
Old 05-31-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Yup. You don't have to put it on the mod, but you can. Don't hold the mod as that warms it up.

Again, the 0.15 spec is just that, sometimes it will be a bit more, sometimes a bit less. If both items are cool and it still reads .2, than that's what the resistance is. You could always try cleaning the 510 threads to see if it makes a difference (a dirty connection will add to the resistance).

If it still reads .2 after that, just set the temp at 420°F, 25 ish Joules, and give it a go. Fire it without taking a drag and look at the screen to see if it gets to 420 and if it bounces against it. Ideally it should get to the max temp after 2 to 3 seconds.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChiefBromden View Post
Yup. You don't have to put it on the mod, but you can. Don't hold the mod as that warms it up.

Again, the 0.15 spec is just that, sometimes it will be a bit more, sometimes a bit less. If both items are cool and it still reads .2, than that's what the resistance is. You could always try cleaning the 510 threads to see if it makes a difference (a dirty connection will add to the resistance).

If it still reads .2 after that, just set the temp at 420°F, 25 ish Joules, and give it a go. Fire it without taking a drag and look at the screen to see if it gets to 420 and if it bounces against it. Ideally it should get to the max temp after 2 to 3 seconds.
Thank you Chief!! I think I got it (for now!)
Old 06-02-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Went throught the bargain box at my local shop and snagged 15ml of Zeppelin by Psychedelic Steam yesterday for $5---Wow! I forgot what a very good tobacco mix could taste like. I had gotten away from tobacco flavors as it's hard to find a good one and I would mix it anyway with some fruits or vanilla or both for more complexity. This one I had to cut in half with my fruity mix and of course I brought the nic up to 3mg. This is one rich, complex flavor already with hints of almonds, vanilla and oaky-barrel bourbon. My other mix was like 6 fruits already so I really can't say what all is in it but I'm vaping a lot (may get up to 6ml today) for the flavor. It's kept me out of the fridge for now and I'm grateful for that (been eating non-stop for 6 days off the booze). Vape 'em if you got 'em!
Old 06-02-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
quat

I gravitate toward tobaccos(es ? lol), local shop does a few real nice ones. 'johnnyappleseed" sweet tobacco with nice apple kick, 'havana night' a less sweet more robust cigar tobacco with a nice winey after bit. Both go great adding their pear flavor,yeah really digging the fruit and baccy blends, not candy sweet fruits though. Not that I dont enjoy sweet for sweet's sake , just not so much with my baccy
Old 06-02-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
This is one rich, complex flavor already with hints of almonds, vanilla and oaky-barrel bourbon.
Ha, that's funny. I never mentioned it because one of the flavors in my all day vape is Kentucky Bourbon. I didn't really want to invite comments on it etc. but suffice to say that I wouldn't use it if it made me think of actual alcohol.

When I searched for a good flavor I ended up buying Castle Long from Five Pawns. The taste is phenomenal. As is the price: $28 for 30ml. Which is crazy.

So I learned to make it myself, going off some recipes on the web, and then fine-tuning it for months. After a while I got it exactly right, but then improved upon it changing it a bit to my taste. And yes, apart from the bourbon, it's got toasted almond, coconut, French vanilla, caramel, brown sugar, and acetyl pyrazine (which gives a nutty, bready flavor, think popcorn and corn chips , and easy to overdo - also not to be mistaken for diacetyl, which is bad news).

I did let other people taste it and they confirmed it's as good or better than "the real thing", so it's not just me. Not saying that because of "look at me" but to show you can really make excellent tasting juice with DIY, even as a relative beginner (which I was back then)

Depending on power levels and air flow, you can get different flavors coming to the foreground. Lower levels bring out the sweeter tones.

Anyway, babbling again. Got a wrap from Zapwrapz in the UK for the Mini and it looks awesome (walnut texture). Still a happy vaper.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
quat

Lol, re KB. I actually was a little apprehensive, for about five seconds but it did cause something like concern, when I tried a flavor that was basically Jack&coke, possibly a conditioned response. I liked a few cola flavors and this one was mostly cola just with a little more. I was not 'triggered' in the least, but even a slight fear or concern or whatever was odd to experience.
I've never wanted to even try an NA beer, but have joked that if they make NA Pappy Van Winkle I'm in. I drank to get drunk and stopped because it will kill me one way or another, that said I like to think that my "rational" palate can be rather discriminating and enjoys certain flavor groups. Vape "cheating" just keeps getting better!! Vape On! Off to find some KB ejuice
Old 06-02-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Well I was almost ready to give up on temperature control. What I was looking for when I got this mod was 100 watts for around a hundred bucks and I got that, TC was just a bonus. Yeah I've been sober a few 24 hours and am at 3 mgs but I chain vape so much my clouds can darken a room lol. I did get the set resistance thing tho. But I couldn't find the ideal temp setting and joules. High low they all tasted weak and bland. So tonight I was just gonna get my Atlantis with a .3 and see if I could cause a fog delay, then I remembered what you said chief about the flavor maybe being in the lower setting. 21.4 joules at 430 F and she is tasting NICE. And not making juice evaporate like 75 watts through an Atlantis. It's cool to have both options tho. Vape on!
Old 06-03-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Funny you mentioned lower power. I just wrapped a 1.5 around a 1/16th bit and am getting more onset flavor and it's quite different than the same mix at 1.3kj. It also brings the max temp down to 428 according to steamengine. Methinks I'm staying with this set-up for awhile. I did some tequila last month and it weren't half bad mixed with some lemon poppy seed muffin. I do get off on mixing so I should probably go whole hog. You already gave me those links Chief--Thanks.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

At the point of wanting to quit..
Although They said they would send it after the eleventh of June the package seemed to be arrived and I can get it tomorrow in the postoffice in our village..The package that I'm talking about are two Vapers..one for my father and one for me.. I myself smoke since I was 8 (I know very young but not really at a daily base) I'm 42 now..My father is 20 years older smoked just like me 2 packets a day (if I dont smoke more these days..really don't know cos I roll them myself and don't count them).He had lungcancer and had chemotherapy for that..so he quit before but I heard that he now is smoking 3 cigarettes a day and that the doctor said it's no problem?!?? Well that's why I ordered one for him too..and as a late birthdaypresent..Anyhow..It is not becos that happened to my father that I decided to Quit..such decicion went over a long time and became stronger and stronger..It feels realy unhealthy these days and I feel like all those years of heavily smoking is poisening my body in a way..I mean that the nicotine piled up in my body ..It doesn't even taste good nomore..I work with herbs and aromatherapy and superfood and so on to feel good and function well but it doesnt help if you feel like you are almost ready for a comercial dressed up like a cigarette with a glass of wine or beer in her hands..That's how I would describe it and that's how it feels..like poison..all the way..So like I said before:I don't count them..and that's what I am planning to do now..make my 10 cigarettes a day take my vapor along with me and smoke those cigarettes at well set timings..like waking up..after breakfast and so on..of course I'm planning also to reduce them to zero cigarettes and hope to get some good advice of the people on SR..Also bout giving such vapor to my father instead of his 3 cigarettes a day.. I know my boozing is just a bad and dangerous habbit I have to Quit cos I was (am) more like Bingedrinker. .But I must say that my smoking is really an addiction..My sobrietydate of boozing is the 2th of June..I hope there will come a day soon that I can set a sobrietydate on my smoking too.Thanks in advance..Comeback.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hey, welcome to this thread CB88!

Vaping takes a while to get used to (say, 10 days, often less) but once it clicks it's a world of fun and taste. Give it all you got, and focus on helping your dad too. That will give you an immediate goal and possibly take your mind off alcohol a bit too.

One thing and a fun fact: nicotine is probably the smallest problem in smoking. It will not build up - as you say - instead it has a half-life of 2 hours. The term "nicotine stain" is actually wrong, as nicotine does not really have a color (maybe very faintly yellow when it oxidizes). The stuff you see on the walls and you feel in your body is tar. Soon, that will be a distant memory.

That said, if you can wean off of nicotine, that's valid too. Just don't try to do it too fast - not the first time I mention this - but let your body direct you.

If you need any assistance, just ask. I wish I had heard of vaping when I became sober, as I smoked even more than before at first.

Good luck, and you can do it.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Thanks Chief..I put it in the Basket Today..and I mean this Litterly..and I must say I am realy amazed of myself and the willpower I had to get the click in my head to not give in to the feeling of taking one..Like I Said :I intended to roll 10 cigarettes a day and so I did and put them in the basket which is a little hidden under my livingroomtable.so a little bit out of sight but not really.The rest of the tobacco and the machine where I roll the cigarettes with and all ashtrays except one I put in the cupboard..You know what..I only smoked 8 through all the day..comming from more then 2 packets a day I call this amazing..I went to get the vapers in the postoffice, went shopping and went to eat an Icecream, didn't take my cigarettes with me and it took me two hours..before I went home I told myself that even when I got home I wouldn't grab imediatly to a cigarette..and so I did..I was home for an half hour before I lighted one..and did it all day like that..after eating and so on..hold it as long as possible..The longest I did was 3 hours and something.So I must say that I am rather proud bout it..The vapers I got..but the battery is still charging..so I tell you tomorrow how it went ..Thanks for refreshing my memory bout the nicotine and tar..You see how long I smoke (d)...don't even seem to mind what I was inhalating..Thanks Chief!
Old 06-06-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Best wishes Comeback. Lotsa good advice here. I've managed to wean down to 3mg nicotine in about 10 months--my MIL did it in 3 months. Much better than when I smoked. Like Chief said, there is an acclimation period that requires trust that the ecig will deliver the nicotine. Took me about a week and I started at 24mg. You will need to maintain your equipment. Any questions feel free to ask. Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
quat

A small flick of the wrist joules go up ...
Old 06-07-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
A small flick of the wrist joules go up ...
LOL! Mind you, I have disabled that pesky tilt sensor. It's a new feature of the V2.2 firmware (to be able to disable it). Not sure if an update is out yet for the IPV4 (which has an SX330V4 chip if I'm not mistaken).

Was just tending to the garden, Mini stops working. "WTH... oh, no liquid left in thank, that makes sense". It really works as designed for me.

Also, the possibility of fixing bugs through your PC should be standard on all e-cigs from now on. It would have saved me so much trouble with the DNA40.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Mornin Vapers! One of the local shops had some black cherry cheap so I snagged 20 ml for $8. Another convenience store has been unloading all of it's 24 mgs for $.50 a 10ml bottle. I've bought grape, strawberry and power surge as my nic base to add to the zeroes I buy. All they had yesterday was chocolate bliss. Also, I've had some rather strong vanilla at 16mg in the cabinet for months that I use to augment some mixes. So I add 1ml of chocolate and 35cc's of vanilla to 10ml of BC and got a rocking 3mg mix. Only thing missing is some good tobacco. I'll be on the hunt today. Vape On!
Old 06-07-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Thanks anataboy..The ecigs I bought were in a promotion..seemed the eliquid was without nicotine..but I am working it very hard..comming from countles of cigaretes a day to +- 10..I only smoked 4 cigs today ..it's almost 1 o clock and I am up around 8.. Anyhow Thanks all for your support..and yes I think it"s a very good invention the vaper .much much better than the ecigs that looks like a cigarette cos when you smoke that it is just like smoking air..Anyhow I am surely not intending to stay at 10 cigarettes and hope to reduce it soon..but hey..in 3 days time..I don't think it's bad..I think It is all bout habit ..like taking a coffee or after meal..my RV always tell me..no not yet..wait a bit..it's like craving..and then one hour later or even later you find yourself bussy with things without having one cigarette. .Thanks for the support cos indeed sometimes it stays hard.especialy when you see others smoking..Grtz Comeback
Old 06-07-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I hesitate to say get some juice with nicotine cuz you may be onto a method that could work. Weaning directly to zero juice......Hmm....That could work. Congrats either way on the harm reduction!
Old 06-07-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
quat

It's taking me a little to get used to navigating the settings/menu but so far a labor of love. Disable gadgetry?! Never even if it's troublesome , it's on there man!
"But this goes to eleven" lol