Notices

Sober Vapers Part 2

Old 04-11-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

AB, I probably understand wrongly, but are you saying you were still coughing when just using the e-cig? I'm assuming you didn't, as for most people this ends after 14 to 30 days. Unless of course you are a bit sensitive to PG.

But yes, both the taste and the tinkering are a sort of addiction in itself. Case in point: I was never going to buy another device after the Vapor Flask, but now I'm highly tempted by the Yihi SX Mini M... Must be strong!
Old 04-16-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

No, I am definitely talking of pre-vaping, 10 months ago. Trying to pump myself up a bit after my quit fail. I'm actually up to 5mg again but vaping less often. I managed to squeeze a double stacked coil into my regular build and went back to single as it's just tastier and double 1.3 didn't give a measurable amount of denser vape. I do use one on my pseudo-dripper.
MIL is smoke-free for 2 days now! THAT is something. 45 yr. smoker down from 3 packs-per-day. She's at 16 mg now and I'm gonna mix her a 14 today. Wife is holding at 1 pack of american spirits but I dropped her mix to 17 or so. Progress.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hello Vapers.
New here. I didn't know this thread existed and now I do.
I've been vaping about a year and a half. I've smoked from time to time but generally vape only. I have been down to zero but then blew and started smoking.
Now I'm at 4mg. I use an Aspire Nautilus on a Smart 20 battery.
I buy my juice from Nixteria. They are based in NY but have a storefront about 20 minutes from my home in northern Illinois. I go to the store for hardware and they ship juice. I like them because they make the juice to order.
You guys seem to know more about the tech side and much of that goes over my head but I'm here and glad.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome BBQ! Yes, some of us have some technical knowledge. I've often heard that a Nautilus is great for flavor but I've been into higher wattage tanks lately. Any of us can give you info on those if you are interested. We also have different sites you can get good stuff cheap. Good for you on 4 mgs! I started at 12 5 months ago, currently at 6 and thinking very seriously of going to 3 when I finish the juice I have. Seems like most of my juices are too harsh out of these subtanks. Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-23-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BBQBiker View Post
Hello Vapers.
New here. I didn't know this thread existed and now I do.
I've been vaping about a year and a half. I've smoked from time to time but generally vape only. I have been down to zero but then blew and started smoking.
Now I'm at 4mg. I use an Aspire Nautilus on a Smart 20 battery.
I buy my juice from Nixteria. They are based in NY but have a storefront about 20 minutes from my home in northern Illinois. I go to the store for hardware and they ship juice. I like them because they make the juice to order.
You guys seem to know more about the tech side and much of that goes over my head but I'm here and glad.
Hell BBQ, I'm puffing some Nixteria green stream soda mixed with some of their dirty south right now. Kind of a citrus menthol mix of flavors. Sample some if you go in the store. I only purchase there when I get their 50% off coupons. My current hardware is the same as yours but my battery is an Istick 20. The Smart 20 is it's clone supposedly made at the same factory. I bought my original equipment at their shop but have found that I can find the same equipment on line for 30% to 50% less. You have to be careful and do your research as there's a lot of companies selling bogus stuff on the internet. There is something to be said about supporting your local economy, if you can afford it.

Happy Vaping
Old 04-24-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Esinger, I agree with only buying the juice when they have the 50% off coupon.
I went in to the store to buy the iStick 20 but I got the Smart 20 because it was so much cheaper than the iStick 20 and the same specs.
I am really only into the tobacco flavors. I am using the Cattle Poke now and enjoying it.
Thanks for the welcome fellow vapers.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yeah same specs and like ten bucks cheaper. Right after I paid retail at the shop for my Istick I found the Smart 20 online for 24 bucks. That being said, at the time I had no idea what I was looking for and the sales person helped me find what fit my expectations. That was worth the extra cash.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I totally agree.
This is my third setup. I started with an EVOD that my husband gave me, I then went to a Innokin itaste and now I'm enjoying the Nautilus tank on the Smart 20. I would never have made the progression without the advice of the folks in the store.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My MIL is down to 8% juice and 17 or so days completely smoke-free. Geesh, she might beat me at my own taper and good for her!
Old 04-27-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hey all,

Just a shout out from down here in sunny SA. Still trying to quit the cigarettes, but have my trusty "silver cigar". We don't have the range here like you guys, mainly twisp and some Chinese stuff. Got both. The Chinese thing has a better coil as it has threads that hang down into the liquid. So always big smoke. The twisp flavours are quite cool. Not sure how to read the mg as ours is stated in some homeopathic units.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 04-28-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey ZB! Welcome to the Forum. Heck, everything I own is chinese--even the KangerTech. I was just waxing this morning how my lucite-tank-protank-mini1 knock-off is still my best performer despite having it pop apart in pocket several times (it just "pops" back together and works...flawlessly). Plenty of youtube vids showing how to wrap any coil. I went for it and haven't bought one in 9 months (almost done with 100ft of kanthal tho @ $8 w/shipping--just bought enough organic cotton for 100,000 coils for $5). I wrap a new coil daily-mostly cuz I can but the flavor of fresh is good. old ones can be cleaned/dry-burned also.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
Hey ZB! Welcome to the Forum. Heck, everything I own is chinese--even the KangerTech. I was just waxing this morning how my lucite-tank-protank-mini1 knock-off is still my best performer despite having it pop apart in pocket several times (it just "pops" back together and works...flawlessly). Plenty of youtube vids showing how to wrap any coil. I went for it and haven't bought one in 9 months (almost done with 100ft of kanthal tho @ $8 w/shipping--just bought enough organic cotton for 100,000 coils for $5). I wrap a new coil daily-mostly cuz I can but the flavor of fresh is good. old ones can be cleaned/dry-burned also.
Ta AB, much appreciated.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Well, I clearly wasn't strong enough. I got the SX Mini M and a Lemo 2. Best vape I ever had. Never thought China would come out with such a high quality device - goes to show that preconceived ideas often don't hold up.

Downside is that quality costs money, even in China, but hey, coming up to 500 days smoke free next month (<- justifies shiny gear addiction ). Very happy with it.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
quat

Lol, never thought I'd have to say that chief can be a bad influence , it's just so shiny and gadgety got a birthday coming I do
And for justifications I'm like 700+ days analog free
Old 05-01-2015, 01:46 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

700 days? You owe it to yourself to get one.

Just kidding, but if you do consider getting a high end mod, the SX is top of the heap right now. It's not perfect - battery cap isn't the easiest the get on and off, some report the paint can be vulnerable - but the board (350J) is incredibly accurate and reliable. At the 60W setting it effectively produces... 60.5W, and that's the same for every other setting below that. With a tube extension (dual batteries in series) it actually produces 120W.

One of the big things is that it is user upgradable. New versions are installed via USB. The next update (May) will bring the total power up to 150W - if that is what interests you.

For me it was the Temperature Control that turns out to work perfectly - I dare say way better than with the DNA40. I'm still not a "power vaper", but I'm now running 20J (for all intents and purposes that's 20W, but the SX uses Joules, which is actually correct - a Joule is 1Watt for 1 second) on a nickel wire coil (0.08Ohm) and it's performing very well indeed, with the added safety my liquid will never overheat (I've set the max temp at 400F).

Anyway, not trying to convince you, just giving a bird eye's view of my new little toy. Happy Birthday.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

There are huge benefits to patronizing your local vape shop.
First one being that my State is trying to pass some crazy law which would tax vaping products. Originally it was 95 percent now down at 65 percent. Those guys who run the small mom and pop shops are at the front of the fight and need support especially since they are tackling both bit tobacco and big pharma.
The other one is more anecdotal but here we go.
My eleaf istick 20w stopped charging: the USB port was lose. I could not find my warranty.
Of course it happened when money was tight.
I was certainly not about to mess with it with my bad eyesight using a screwdriver and a lighter as a welding torch...amazing what good decisions I make in sobriety
So I take it to the Vape Station where I bought it hoping that maybe the owner son's could fix it or he knew of someone. Well guess what happened?
He tells me: I know of a way to fix it and proceeded to give me a brand new istick but the 30W one. I just could not believe it!!! so I told him again in that I could not afford it right now and that I had lost my warranty ...and he was like: nope it's yours.
Now if I had bought it online, I might have saved a few bucks but good luck getting a replacement without a warranty and they certainly would not have upgraded me from 20W to 30W
BTW, he explained to me that I could sub ohm vape with that one.
So you bet that I recommend my local store and also got them another excellent review online.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

That's absolutely a great gesture. It's a known problem BTW, quite a few people had their USB break off internally.

If I had a shop like that over here I'd have no problems paying a bit more either. Enjoy the 30.

As for the other subject... don't get me started. I could rant just about every day here when I read about the next draconian (proposed or implemented) measure.

For example: in Portugal, a juice that used to cost 4.5 EUR (say 5 USD) now costs... 12 EUR because of state taxes. That's almost 150% tax. For comparison: a pack of Marlboro reds costs 3.5 EUR. So it's effectively cheaper to smoke than to vape there now. How does that even begin to make sense?

But it's everywhere. Indiana is pretty much down and out for the local shops and manufacturers, Florida has a proposal to classify vapes (and everything ecig related) as drug paraphernalia... absolutely bonkers.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Chief, NICE purchase!! That is an awesome mod and I say now although I'd love to own one, I don't know if I would spend that much on a single piece of equipment. But then I look at what I've spent already hmmm. Is the leamo rebuild only? Or will it take any stock coils?
Old 05-02-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

The Lemo is rebuild-only (although it does come with a pre-installed coil), but if you alreadyhave a ST Mini, it would be wiser to keep that, If you ever decide to splash on a temp controlled mod like the SX, you can even get "temperature sensing" (i.e.: nickel 200) prebuilt coils for it so that you can enjoy temperature protected vaping without needing to build your own coils.

But don't forget: if you are happy now you don't need these more expensive devices. I do it because it became a hobby - and if the legal winds ever change, I'm still thinking of opening a business to help smokers who can't stop with traditional NRT to switch to a less harmful habit. I'm interested in the technology, and especially in the area where vaping will become even safer and simpler for the beginning vaper. Temperature protection - which focuses on safe temps without creating any potentially harmful by-products (and preventing dry hits) to me is a lot more interesting than the high wattage devices.

(Doesn't that sound so much better than: "I just wanted this latest device with shiny buttons." )
Old 05-05-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

So... the only modification I have NOT tried on my protank single coils is drilling the bottom pin to a slightly larger size to accommodate a true lunghit. As most of you know I have been effing with this same OLD unit for quite some time to try and squeeze even MORE out of it (total addict). There is risk of not getting the hole "true" and maybe affect the insular properties but hey, ruining $2 is a habit also. I have like....15 coils that me, the wifey AND my MIL are using at any given time. I AM a bit OCD on this whole vaping thing but....ok. Me? I'm using high VG juices so the wicking is kinda a big deal right now. I'm still only rockin' about 10-12 watts with a regular stick batt. but I kinda like the challenge of getting a bit MORE. Will let y'all know how it went.....