Notices

Post ante vos pick sursum Weekender 24-26 Feb

Old 02-23-2017, 11:28 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders redfalcon! Congratulations on 4 months sober.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:29 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Morning guys xx
Old 02-24-2017, 12:29 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I'm in.
Thanks for opening the weekender Sao.
You are doing a fantastic job as host!
Old 02-24-2017, 02:39 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Welcome to the weekend! Well, it's Friday morning here; but who's counting?

I am on Day 10

Storm Doris seems to have gone, and it's sunny outside. I have work to do today; but if I get it done in time, I might go for a walk later.

Tomorrow holds cooking for the week ahead, and Sunday involves a trip to the cinema. Saturday evenings were traditionally watching Netflix/TV with my husband and lots of wine. I'm thinking of working on a complex knitting pattern, so that my hands (and spare brain) are occupied, as I find it impossible to watch TV without doing something else at the same time.

Happy weekend, everyone.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning everyone, happy Friday. Payday Friday more me, more money saved from not drinking,

The body needs a lot of sleep in the early days & weeks of recovery. I could barely make it thru the day at work. By 2pm I was spent, drowsy and yawning. Slept every moment I could. Just go with the flow.

I gave up coffee for a while. I found that my energy levels were much more even through out the day. But then I had one small cup of tims was back into full caffeine relapse,
Old 02-24-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

bimini, I was going to go in search for the link and you posted it She's still hanging in there but it can happen at any time.

SueDenim, your plan sounds a lot like mine but Friday night is the night with hubby catching up on our DVRd shows. We never drank though, we got takeout and had our meal in front of the tv. I can tell you though, done too often that leads to trouble as you don't pay attention to how much food you're ingesting. This is where knitting came into play.

Meeting up with a friend on Saturday who is going to teach me to crochet. Looking forward to doing more stuff.

17 days until I have my full license back again (only have it for work right now). Looking forward to being able to drive to the store when needed etc. A drivers license is something I will never take for granted again!

Have a great sober Friday everyone!
Old 02-24-2017, 04:42 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

So no baby giraffe yet? So exciting....

I hope all my UK friends don't blow away with the storm! Is it still going?

I can't believe it's going to be 74 degrees F here today. In Ohio. In February. Fabulous! I LOOOOVE global warming!

The little bit I have studied mindfulness has really been helping me. Last night I was awake in the night stewing over a hateful email from my ex, and I was able to focus on my breathing and get back to sleep. Leaving work the other day after a long, stressful day, I had fleeting thoughts of wine, but I focused on my car and my route home. Worked great.

Oh, and I am IN!

Happy Friday everyone!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

In and looking forward to another memorable weekend
Old 02-24-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Morning. Glad it is Friday. Week went fast with being off work last Monday. The dreaded Monday meeting was uneventful, according to my delegate. The clients seemed unprepared at his presence and caused no scenes.

For this coming Monday's dreaded meeting, I've scheduled something else to overlap the last 2/3 of the meeting. I've told them in email that I'll need to present first and I have a hard stop after just 30 minutes. I should have taken this control earlier. Force a tight agenda and refuse to be kept hostage while they continue to ramble and complain and ask endless questions. They can turn their attention this Monday to the other hapless victim/project for whom I've been acting like a human shield all this time.

I think it was Mecanix who posted some strong advice to me about not just taking the Monday crud and gave a lot of examples on how to change the dynamic. In my smaller way, I think I'm doing it!

So...my Monday is handled, and I can relax this weekend without fretting and tweaking my presentation.

I'm doing less cooking for the week ahead, because doing simple cooking each evening gives my weekday evenings more purpose and a nice rhythm with my partner's schedule. But I'll buy groceries tomorrow morning and prep them.

The rest of Saturday I plan to be in the yard. I abandoned my perennial beds last fall and have tons of cleanup, trimming back to crowns, etc. things here are budding out and even blooming. I sure hope we don't get a late hard long freeze. Our official last frost date is April 15...far far away still.

Sunday...will continue working on "the hoard", as it might rain.

Thanks for listening. I gotta get to my desk in a few. Will read around SR a few more minutes while I slurp coffee.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I think your plan for Monday is perfect, Bix. You don't have to be a victim. You can control at least part of the situation, and it sounds like you are doing just that.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SueDenim View Post
Welcome to the weekend! Well, it's Friday morning here; but who's counting?

I am on Day 10

Storm Doris seems to have gone, and it's sunny outside. I have work to do today; but if I get it done in time, I might go for a walk later.

Tomorrow holds cooking for the week ahead, and Sunday involves a trip to the cinema. Saturday evenings were traditionally watching Netflix/TV with my husband and lots of wine. I'm thinking of working on a complex knitting pattern, so that my hands (and spare brain) are occupied, as I find it impossible to watch TV without doing something else at the same time.

Happy weekend, everyone.
That's a great idea!
Old 02-24-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

It really is a great idea to do needlework. Not only does it keep your hands occupied, it keeps your brain occupied!
Old 02-24-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I need to move next year. I need more days with unbelievable weather like this. The difference in my mood today is insane, and it's just because it's sunny and warm enough to open windows. I might even walk in the park this afternoon.

And then I'll be trapped, like a rat, in my clients' apartment, all weekend.
I gotta get out of this.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Nope. No baby giraffe yet.

Happy Friday, everyone. Well done for making it through the week, keep it going.

Sober is as sober does. I've stayed on my food plan all week. Yay, as long as I don't get started on the sugar I do great.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Sun and warmth affect me like they do you, Brenda. I just open up, bloom. I can't move away from this climate, and wouldn't want to. But cold, especially cold+wet, makes me physically miserable. I can't afford to keep even one room as warm as I'd like it to be. So I layer and drink hot stuff...and am still pretty miserable.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Nope. No baby giraffe yet.
Are we worried about the poor mama, or is this perfectly normal? For giraffes, at least?
Old 02-24-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I used to think like that about the heat, Bix. One year I just said, "You know what? I am an adult and I will not skimp on heat or food." I now keep my heat at 68*(F) in the winter, and I'm not cold. It only costs me $11-15 more per month, and it is only for three months. I do not like being cold and as long as I have any say, I'm staying at 68*. The difference between 65 and 68 is huge as far as comfort.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
Are we worried about the poor mama, or is this perfectly normal? For giraffes, at least?
It took the one here at the zoo several days once she went into labor. She's fine. They have plenty of medical help on hand during these things. The calf is the one they most worry about, there is a high mortality rate in captivity. (according to the zookeepers here)
Old 02-24-2017, 08:39 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

So this week kept another **** day for me. I spend an hour helping my boyfriend with something today, even though not having much time either. He lost his nerves and destroyed pretty much all of my work and got extremely angry. That behaviour hurt me and it felt like he had not much respect for the time or effort I'd put into helping him. He said he's stressed about some work stuff that's gonna happen next week and cancelled our plans for tonight and doesn't want to see me. That hurt me even more. I don't know how to handle all of his moods when I'm in a difficult phase myself.

On my way home I caught myself playing with the thought of buying booze and it freaked me out. I could hear my AV really trying to take control of the situation. "Get a bottle, no one would find out, you'll be alone tonight anyway"
I almost gave in just because I still feel so horrible and I don't know how to make things better. I tried so hard to be strong and positive and to do the right things but this week is not getting any better. I decided to read on here instead and just tried to remember how much worse I'd feel tomorrow if I drank, how much I'd hate myself for it, how much guilt and shame I'd feel and how embarrassing and stressful it'd be to tell my boyfriend about it. I guess I'm back at the one hour at a time approach at the moment.

(Sorry for the negativity but I felt like I had to get this out of my system and I don't know who else to tell)

Talking about weather, I never used to mind the gloomy dark and grey winter months, I actually preferred them, but since getting sober I noticed how much the weather affects me. As soon as the sun comes out and the temperatures are a bit milder I feel much more positive and energetic. Weird how that changed.

I started with my weaving project last night and I think it might turn out nicely although I had to improvise much (no money for a loom). I hope I'll find some time to work on it later and that it'll keep my brain busy.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:47 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Good work, Kevlar, for arriving home without a bottle! You did exactly right, getting home safe, and posting here...as someone told me, this is exactly what this thread is all about.

You sound like you have good plans for the evening, working on your weaving project, something you love. Let go of your frustration with your bf for today and immerse in your own sober self and interests.