Notices

Post ante vos pick sursum Weekender 24-26 Feb

Old 02-24-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I used to think like that about the heat, Bix. One year I just said, "You know what? I am an adult and I will not skimp on heat or food." I now keep my heat at 68*(F) in the winter, and I'm not cold. It only costs me $11-15 more per month, and it is only for three months. I do not like being cold and as long as I have any say, I'm staying at 68*. The difference between 65 and 68 is huge as far as comfort.
partner wants it set 3 degrees lower...I want it 3 higher. Yes the proverbial 6 degrees of separation between our comfort zones! We are at a sweaty/shivery compromise that no one is happy with. LOL. Maybe I should rethink closing off one room for my office and making it a hotbox.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

Saturday here. Hope everyone's doing well

If not - shout out - share your problems!

D
Old 02-24-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Bix does one of you need to wear a sweater or take a layer off ?

Hey all , hope friday goes ok ( or has gone ok for those in the future ) .. anyone in the early days remeber it will pass , adiction always seems to make us think , darn it , drink .. I challenge you to say darn it , i'm not going to drink .

Once sober i decided there was no reason to rush back to it , i often kicked the ball into the long grass by saying i'll think about it in a weeks time .. within 48 hours i was glad i didnt and i kept kicking it forwards anytime i had a craving .

I'm going to try and have a productive day tomorrow , rain is forcast so i'm going to sit indoors with the computer and printer write to the 3 old pension firms and ask to roll those into my new pension 2 small ones and 1 big one ..

I also have shares/stocks but am missing some certificates so i want to get that rolling , the money released from those will pay for a trip to france to finally get my house there on the market.
I've procrastinated for years over selling that place , it was a psycological rock in my life but really it's just a liabillity ...

stuck stuck stuck ... 6 years sober and still dealing with myself ... LoL

What would it be like to liquidate / get rid of everything i wonder ? The idea holds a certain attraction ...

see you all for sober coffee in the morning i hope

m

Last edited by mecanix; 02-24-2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added a bit for those in saturday
Old 02-24-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Still the last hour of Friday here. I think I have calmed down from earlier and I think my boyfriend did too. He send me a text a while ago and apologised for overreacting and that he hopes I'm ok and not too angry/upset. I don't know what to answer though. I thought his behaviour was really wrong and i still feel hurt and disappointed but I'm afraid he'll react with anger again when I tell him.

I thought my evening would be hell cause I'd have to spend it alone but it turned out to be okay. I went for groceries and got enough food for the next 4-5 days and I paid only 16€ which is great and gives me some sense of achievement, something I didn't have all week, even though I did lots for university.

Speaking of that I allowed myself a break from studying this evening even though I haven't done enough for the day but I'll have time tomorrow to do some more. It's something I know my boyfriend would be disappointed of and also against what my therapist said about pressuring myself more. But I decided to rather please myself than trying to please everyone else, at least for today.

So I had a nice hot and long bath and now I'll do some more weaving or painting and then go to bed early.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

God I'm bored and lonely.
I bought a book and a bar of chocolate on my way home this evening. The chocolate is nice - it's Cadbury Dairy Milk Peanut Butter Flavour.
The book is not so good. It's called The Wedding Promise. (I know, right).
The back reads:

"Restoring a romantic crumbling villa brings Shelly back to the small Spanish town she and her husband Gerry fell in love with before they married -fulfilling a wedding day promise he made to her that they would return. But as plans to transform the villa into a stunning wedding venue take shape, Shelly discovers that her grown up children might need the move more than she does.

Jake has begun to question the things he values most: his career as a pilot, his relationship with his girlfriend Fee. Could Spain offer him the change he's been desperately seeking?

Puke

And when Leila arrives in Spain with a newborn baby in tow she soon finds herself getting caught up in the fledgling business. But then she hears some startling news she wasn’t expecting.

As Casa Maria takes its first booking will it turn out to be more than a romantic promise made all those years ago? Perhaps a second chance at new beginnings?"

Retch

A paragraph or two inside reads:

"One night in particular around this time last year came crashing into his head. I've the fire lit Gerry had said. Will I make us all an Irish coffee and we can catch up on each other's lives?

He'd gone for a shower, changed into trackie bottoms and chatted to his parents. Then Shelly had gone to bed and left the men to talk.
I'd give my left gonad to spend the evening with you now dad he said to the mirror. I've no idea how to fix my life".

The whole thing is vomit inducing.

So the wonderful Gerry dies in case anyone is wondering. Jake is an almighty sap. Leila is a spoiled brat but things still work out perfectly for her in the end.

I saw a self help book in a shop a while ago called "Why Men Love Witches" (with a 'B' instead of a 'W'.) Sometimes it does seem like that's true.

Although my friend tells me that I'm different to some Irish women because I'm innocent and lovely...but I don’t know. Sometimes I wish I could be..not hard exactly but less sensitive or something.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

We also had the bad storm here in Ireland. After speaking to my father today unfortunately a couple of their garden chairs did not make it.

Here is the calm after the storm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FB_IMG_1487887318104.jpg (23.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 02-24-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Tetra - thank you for the laughs (and saving me from reading it) about the book. And that picture is beautiful!!!
Old 02-24-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

That photo looks so lovely and peaceful. I wish I lived a bit closer to the sea :-) a walk along the sea always kind of washes my brain clear, I love that
Old 02-24-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Evening everyone, since i was half way there i decided to go visit my uncle in Cornwall which the sticky out bit of Britain at the bottom left. His house is stunning! I will drive home tomorrow.

Kevlarsjal I'm glad you got through OK.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I've got a degree in English Literature among other things. I always thought it wasn't particularly useful but I loved it. I should really go back to reading things which require me to use at least one brain cell.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:38 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

People are like artichokes. You have to peel away a lot of layers to get to their heart. Awwwww!
Old 02-24-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
People are like artichokes. You have to peel away a lot of layers to get to their heart. Awwwww!
Lol. Reminded me of Shrek. "Onions! I'm like an onion!"
Old 02-24-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Tetra- puke books is using yourS brainy muscles. Look at all the effort you put into that wonderful whine. You should share these pearls of wisdom on the Whiner's thread. A great way to target impotent rage- on literature that IS puke.
For me it is analysing social commentary on Victorian horror/crime themes. Then there are the so called 'romantics'. Disaffected rich young men that rebel against the system by getting all arty and discovering themselves by drinking, sleeping with anything that has a pulse and writing it down. A tad cynical- but it beats drinking any day.
John Cleese- eat your heart out.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I'm an artichoke because I have spikes, you have to tread carefully.. lol.. but not an onion, I don't stink or make you cry.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Evening all, work week done. Shopping done and put away. Sitting in bed, reading SR. Probably won't stay up much longer. Plans for tomorrow already set, gym, driving, shopping, dinner and few small projects. Can't go to work, used up my allotted overtime.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:51 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I beat my AV today by posting on the main board. Super happy with that effort. My present self is thankful to my past intuitive self!

🌺🌸💝
Old 02-24-2017, 11:19 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning, well done Trees!

Still at my aunt and uncle's place. Long drive home later.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:24 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you did that Tees
Watch out for Poldark Sao
D
Old 02-25-2017, 12:51 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Morning all!

Its a bit of a damp, overcast day here in London.

I'm going to take my bike fixed in my local bike shop this morning, then spend a few hours with a meditation group, and this afternoon I've got a live sports event to watch, following my favorite football (soccer) team.

It's a real gift to wake up feeling grounded, healthy and happier, then I would have had I been drinking.

Hope your Saturday's are going well!
Old 02-25-2017, 02:52 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good morning! I'm going to try this early morning thing that other people have mentioned, at least on the weekends. I can always take a nap later. During the workweek I don't think it would be a good idea for me to get up too early.

Plans for this weekend:

Instructional videos (art and music)

Meditation reading (and practice!)

Shopping for fruits and veggies

A little bit of art-making (and practice!)

Some physical exercise

Adventures in other worlds (online games)

A modicum of housework (hah! "we'll see")