Notices

New

Old 07-30-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by FrankLapidas View Post
I'm not trying to combative here, Dee, because you are the heart and soul of this site. But what more would you have me do other than (stubbornly) seeking sobriety?
I don't require you to do anything Frank - it's entirely your journey.
Just sharing my experience

You said
I instinctively rebel against medications that I think I can survive without.
My point was - alcohol is probably the biggest self-medication guys like you and me have/had, so why not extend that mental stubborness to alcohol as well from here on in?

and on the creativity point, well...alcohols not great for that either.

There came a time when alcohol sucked my creativity well bone dry - it took me a long time to get that back.

Not trying to offend here, friend - challenge a little maybe, but not offend

D
Old 07-30-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

For whatever reason I am dead tired today, but everyone's support and advice on this thread has given me some energy. So as to avoid completely cluttering things up I'll try to condense replies . . .

Shabby, funny stuff. Thank you.

Thanks to Shabby, Cissy, and Girlie for your thoughts and experiences with anti-depressants. I've gone into full research mode, including many other threads here, and I guess I'm willing to reconsider my reluctance to take them. Will schedule another doc appt.

Thomas and Cissy, thanks for telling me your experience with sleep medication.

Cissy, that's tough to hear about your parents, and I'm guessing it was tough on you, too. And still is. But you seem to have found a good balance. And, no, I don't think you are a zombie!

DWTBD, no I don't have a niece. Curious as to why you thought I might.

Boozer, yes I'm trying to be more open about myself this time. This is sort of contrary to my nature, but I figure it's the thing to do. Glad to hear you are feeling better today.

And thanks to Wolf, Saouthick, Jsbodhi, Olivia, Hevyn, and Dee (and anyone I missed!) for following this thread.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We follow because we care - you're one of us FL.
I was exhausted in early recovery. We've beaten ourselves up rather badly & need to heal.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Great Frank!

In what ways do you express your creativity? If you want to keep that private, just ignore me. Just curious though....

:-)
Old 07-30-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff Frank
Old 07-30-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
Great Frank!

In what ways do you express your creativity? If you want to keep that private, just ignore me. Just curious though....

:-)
Performance art. I do this thing with kumquats and a hula hoop.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Hey wow, that sounds fabulous. So glad I asked :-)
Old 07-30-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Hey wow, that sounds fabulous. So glad I asked :-)
Writing, actually. But haven't done any since I crawled into the bottle.

I always wondered about those photos of Ernest Hemingway sitting at his desk with his typewriter and a bottle of booze. Was that just the image he wanted to portray, or did he actually write while drunk?
Old 07-30-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think he bled when he wrote metaphorically speaking

What stuff have you wrote in the past Frank
Old 07-30-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Ooooooo....now that makes sense.

Here's you answer:

"Hemingway was notoriously fond of drinking, but he refrained from indulging while writing. When asked in an interview if rumors of him taking a pitcher of martinis to work every morning were true, he answered, “Jeezus Christ! Have you ever heard of anyone who drank while he worked? You’re thinking of Faulkner. He does sometimes – and I can tell right in the middle of a page when he’s had his first one. Besides, who in hell would mix more than one martini at a time?”
Old 07-30-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by FrankLapidas View Post
Writing, actually. But haven't done any since I crawled into the bottle.

I always wondered about those photos of Ernest Hemingway sitting at his desk with his typewriter and a bottle of booze. Was that just the image he wanted to portray, or did he actually write while drunk?
Never when he was working apparently.

You only have to look at someone like Kerouac to chart the eventual and disastrous effect of drinking on an author.

D
Old 07-30-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
What stuff have you wrote in the past Frank
I have one completed novel which amuses me no end, but I've never tried tried to find a publisher for it. It's comic meta-fiction, and bookshelves ain't exactly bulging with comic meta-fiction. If anyone here would like to read it I might (maybe, dunno) send it.

I have another perpetually unfinished novel that is about as dark as you can get.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Your post sent me to the "Articles" section of SR, where there once was an article about the mythology of writing and alcohol.

Couldn't find it so I did a search and instead came across this:

American Literature And The 'Mythos Of The Boozing Writer' : NPR

I'd like to get my hands on that book.

It also prompted recollections of a movie about F. Scott Fitzgerald I'd seen some years ago. He's the hometown hero in my neck of the woods, though he cared little for my neck of the woods. This flick takes a look at the last few years of his life. His story alone ought to put the final nail in the coffin of the "alcohol serves the literary genius" myth. Highly recommended.

TELEVISION REVIEW - The Downside of Paradise - Fitzgerald's Final Days - NYTimes.com
Old 07-30-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  
quat

Hey Frank
The quip about your niece was in reference to the pic on your avatar. Pretty sure that is the same actor from Lawnmower Man? He was on the last season of one of my favorite shows, Justified . Which was based on a short story by one of my favorite authors Elmore Leonard, rip .
What's comic meta fiction?, getting kind of a Vonnegut feel
Old 07-30-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

I for one would love to read it - dead serious. Send it out to some publishers.

The unfinished one sounds great.....'drenched in pain, per chance'? Love dark novels too.

Do not hideth thou light undereth thy bushel :-)
Old 07-30-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Your post sent me to the "Articles" section of SR, where there once was an article about the mythology of writing and alcohol.

Couldn't find it so I did a search and instead came across this:

American Literature And The 'Mythos Of The Boozing Writer' : NPR

I'd like to get my hands on that book.

It also prompted recollections of a movie about F. Scott Fitzgerald I'd seen some years ago. He's the hometown hero in my neck of the woods, though he cared little for my neck of the woods. This flick takes a look at the last few years of his life. His story alone ought to put the final nail in the coffin of the "alcohol serves the literary genius" myth. Highly recommended.

TELEVISION REVIEW - The Downside of Paradise - Fitzgerald's Final Days - NYTimes.com
Wow, thank you, Venecia! Will check out the NPR segment and the NYT. No listing for the book on Amazon.

It sounds like you have an interest in writing.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Hey Frank
The quip about your niece was in reference to the pic on your avatar. Pretty sure that is the same actor from Lawnmower Man? He was on the last season of one of my favorite shows, Justified . Which was based on a short story by one of my favorite authors Elmore Leonard, rip .
What's comic meta fiction?, getting kind of a Vonnegut feel
Missed the Lawnmower Man. For those interested in writing, check out 'Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing.

Yup, maybe a bit of a Vonnegut feel, but he was one of a kind. Maybe some Tom Robbins flavor.

Meta-fiction, at least by my definition, is fiction about the process of writing fiction.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Yes, I do.

I have a one-third written novel. Hit a roadblock with it in March and decided to revamp some -- need to get going on it again. Mystery, my favorite fictional genre. I've predicted it's likely to be a huge hit among best friends from high school and former college roommates who get the PDF.

Small town female cop in the Midwest. Recovering alcoholic. Kind of lonely. Online support group helps keep her sane. Trying to deal with life and solve two seemingly -- seemingly! -- unrelated murders.

No idea where I got the inspiration.

Upon edit: I should clarify something here. Yep, our heroine does turn to an online presence for support. But I would never, EVER, write anything that would betray SR. Whatever I've created is wholly a product of my imagination, not the people/personas who populate this place. And the realist in me knows my chances of being accepted by a publisher are thin.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

I for one would love to read it - dead serious. Send it out to some publishers.

The unfinished one sounds great.....'drenched in pain, per chance'? Love dark novels too.

Do not hideth thou light undereth thy bushel :-)
Hah!

Only problem is that anyone reading both novels would want to commit me to the rubber room - they are so diametrically opposed in every way.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
I have a one-third written novel.
Sounds promising, Venecia. I do enjoy mysteries. Hope you'll include me on your reading list.