Notices

Class of November 2014 Part 2

Old 11-14-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Awesome, FacingFuture! That sounds like a great plan. Good for you.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gypsytears View Post
They say cravings only last 7 minutes FacingFuture. You can ride that out! I'm so happy to find Meditate & Destroy on Netflix! I'm all caught up on The Walking Dead and was at a loss on what to watch tonight. Meditate & Destroy is perfect, as I'm in the middle of Dharma Punx by Noah Levine. It's good recovery/spiritual reading. I hope the movie is as good.
Gypsy,
Here are some random suggestions if you haven't seen them and are stuck on the couch:

ROME (HBO)
Deadwood (HBO)
The Shield
The Wire
Breaking Bad <- Watch with a cautious eye. Makes light of addiction
BattleStar Galactica

For a lighter mood (good guys do good things):
Farscape
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

I've had a few friends who watched Stargate SG-1 from start to finish during their recovery and it helped pass the time.

I only suggest the Sci-Fi shows because you are watching TWD which is an all time great.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Happy Friday everyone! Have to make this a quick check in so it might sound a little rushed. Still feel yucky today but in a pretty good mood. Watched the films Ondine and Smashed yesterday, both of which have characters who are alcoholic. I especially liked the part in Ondine where he has an A.A. 'meeting' with the town priest as the town is so small it doesn't have meetings.
I am grateful not be stressed out about the upcoming holidays this year. Even if I'm alone, it's way better than being with toxic people. Has anyone tried Tofurkey? I'm thinking of trying that out this year.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by FacingFuture View Post
Gypsy, Here are some random suggestions if you haven't seen them and are stuck on the couch: ROME (HBO) Deadwood (HBO) The Shield The Wire Breaking Bad <- Watch with a cautious eye. Makes light of addiction BattleStar Galactica For a lighter mood (good guys do good things): Farscape Stargate SG-1 Stargate Atlantis I've had a few friends who watched Stargate SG-1 from start to finish during their recovery and it helped pass the time. I only suggest the Sci-Fi shows because you are watching TWD which is an all time great.
I've seen Rome, was awesome. I wish it had lasted longer. Same with Deadwood.

My sons watch Breaking Bad, haven't seen it yet but apparently something about a meth explosion from that show spurred the zombie apocalypse?

I'm going to try American Horror Story next I think and catch up on Portlandia.

I'm kind of obsessed with Zombies at the moment. Thank you for the great suggestions!
Old 11-14-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by Soberella66 View Post
Happy Friday everyone! I am grateful not be stressed out about the upcoming holidays this year. Even if I'm alone, it's way better than being with toxic people. Has anyone tried Tofurkey? I'm thinking of trying that out this year.
I've been vegetarian at many different stages in my life... Currently vegan for health reasons ...never tried tofurkey. If you try it please let us know how it is. I might do a lentil nut loaf as my main, my 14 year old son volunteered to do the turkey. Of course, I'll still be laid up so I'll have to talk him through it . Good for you for making healthy decisions about the company you spend the holidays with. Happy Friday to you too !
Old 11-14-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Good evening folks. I have never been to the Alamo. LOL. Been to Texas, but just a couple of days in Dallas to teach a class.

So, brought my son to the bday party, shopped nearby, and then picked him up. I was STARVING while I waited for him and drove home. So, I was thinking about how good a cold beer would be(knowing we have them, and I do like beer when I am hungry). I decided to indulge, instead, in getting a sub for a late dinner. Stopped at a place with great steak and cheese subs and had about 1/3 of it and gave the rest to my husband. It was huge, and it was a small. It hit the spot, though. I had to walk by one of my regular liquor stores in the same plaza, but my son was with me and it was easy to resist. I thought about wine, but just kept walking.

I am going to make it to day 7 tomorrow! One day at a time.

Hope everyone is well. it is a bit quiet here, other than you texans. Hopefully everyone is relaxing.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Hope everyone is having a good night. Friday is always my toughest day, and I didn't drink tonight which is a huge deal for me. Really trying to stay on track.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

I have a confession to make. I'm watching "My Name is Bill W." It's pretty much a standard TV movie so far tbh, and I'm about halfway through. I just wanted to check in for the night because it's pretty clear I won't be drinking. So that's Day 11 down.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

11 days is awesome - keep it up!
Old 11-14-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

I've been to the Alamo. I didn't think it was anything that spectacular at the time, although I was also fairly young (~7th grade). Sometimes it's interesting seeing things as an adult. I ended up revisiting a fort my parents spent hours getting to as an adult since I was in the area and going back to it I wondered what they were thinking and why they would travel so far to see it.
Tonight has been rough. AV has been negotiating with me all night. It got so bad I had my husband take me to see St. Vincent since I thought I would cave for going out and having a drink if I just sat at home. I am now going to have some tea, hanging around here for a bit and then heading to bed.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you fought through it Strategery

D
Old 11-15-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Day 18. Feeling bit flat today. Prob just tired from work.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Morning class, day 14 here. Feeling a bit better today and just love waking up at t he weekends with no hangover. It's not as gloomy and miserable here as it has been all week so going to wrap up and go for a long walk on the beach. Have a good day class . Peace X
Old 11-15-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Hi all, checking in and it is freezing here! My son has 3 soccer games this morning, and if they win, they have more (tournament). I woke up with a sore throat and a headache this morning, but it could just be the change in weather. I have a bunch of chores to do around the house today, but I may watch some TV too.

As far as shows, I LOVE Breaking Bad. The acting is awesome, and the concept is just so original. I also liked Orange is the New Black, although I didn't think it was as good as the book (they sensationalized it for TV). Of course, my perennial favorite is Homeland, plus Nurse Jackie (Edie Falco as a nurse who's a painkiller addict, amazing) and House of Lies (Don Cheadle, need I say more)? Now, before you start thinking I watch too much TV, we were snowed in last winter and I was down with the flu for a straight week, so most of my binge-watching was done then.

Phoebe, good for you on bypassing the liquor store...and that sub sounds awesome! Much safer, too.

Wow peachhappyness, you live near the beach? You're so lucky!

I'll be here a lot today. I'm not feeling very strong, and weekends are the worst for me. Have a great day, November folks!
Old 11-15-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Day 17 here, feeling good. The last couple days I've been sleeping a lot, falling asleep early in the evening for a while then going to bed to sleep all night. I think I'm catching up after the first two weeks of restlessness and fewer than 6 hours a night. I need to go develop a plan for the day. Take care everyone!
Old 11-15-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

I made it to day 7. It has been at least since June, possibly since I have done this. I am pleased with myself for it. Now I feel like I am gaining a little momentum. A month is my next short term goal. But only one day at a time to get there.

So, when was the last time I was up and already out to by bagels for the family by 8:20am? Today! Of course, I bet my bagel with cream cheese will have as many calories as a bottle of wine, but I can exercise after since I have no hangover. I can perhaps exert some self control and have half for breakfast and half later, as opposed to all of it. Moderation with a bagel, lol.

I am also struggling with the AV on the weekend. But we will again have something to do into the early evening. My daughter and a couple of friends need a ride to the movies. so, hubby, son and I will also go, and have dinner nearby, while the teens watch the movie. It is too far to drop off and come home. I am tellin' ya, this blossoming social life of our 15yo is keeping us busy! But, by giving rides and letting them hang here, I get to see who she is hanging out with.

Jo, I need to check out Homeland from the beginning. I only saw I there and there after a few seasons. I loved what I saw. We have not watched many of the HBO and Showtime series, but we should get them for the summer months when we have little to watch.

Peaceandhappiness, awesome on 14 days!! 18 days, Erratic, yay! Good for everyone pulling through this weekend sober. And for those struggling, come and post and talk it out.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! I hope everyone is having a wonderful morning!
Soberella, I have not tried tofurkey. Just the name scares me a bit.
Bernie-I've also been tired a lot, but you're much further along. I am wondering when the tiredness goes away.
Josharon-I hope you enjoy the soccer games. Take care of yourself since you may be fighting something off.
Going to spinning this morning. I am not sure what else my husband and I will be doing today. It's supposed to snow this afternoon, so we may be indoors. However, I have plenty to do if we are at home.
Phoebe, congrats on day 7! That's awesome!
Old 11-15-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Day 12. Wishing everyone a Happy Sober Saturday!
Old 11-15-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Day Ten

I'd say I'm starting day ten now but it actually started a couple of hours ago as I woke up at around six this morning with a very sore throat. I'm most definitely in the first stages of a cold or other virus of some kind. My dad is supposed to be bringing me over some antibiotics in the next half hour or so. In the meantime, I'm sipping on some chamomile tea. While I never really equate being sick with drinking, I still need to be careful as anytime I'm tired my alcoholic mind really can start whispering to me.

Yesterday was another day of the same--work, home, meeting. While I was at home last night I decided to take a long, hot bath while I read for a bit. In the past that late afternoon hot bath with a book has been a time when I'd often pour that first glass of wine. While I was in the tub, I had some pretty strong rationalizations/cravings from my alcoholism trying to talk me into taking "one more" drink. But while those thoughts were going on, at the same time I had the exact opposite thoughts just as strongly. "This is stupid. You know if you take that drink that in a week or two or even less you'll be back in the exact same spot you were nine days ago--vowing once again that you'll never drink again." I thought the drink thru and was able to pretty easily resist. That being said, I'll probably avoid hot baths with a book in the afternoon for a while. Stick to showers in the morning. Hard to read or drink in the shower!

As for today, at the moment, I think I'm still going to go into work, not gonna call in sick for now. I'm hoping these antibiotics will do the trick. But lots of times on Saturday mornings we've got extra staff coming in trying to make a little extra money so if the opportunity arises for me to leave, I may take it and come home and rest.

My home AA group is hosting the annual area "Oldtimers Meeting" tonight. I have never been before but gather that it is a big deal where folks with ten or more years of sobriety from hundreds of miles around this area all get together for a reunion and meeting. Of course, newcomers are encouraged to attend as well. I've volunteered to help be a greeter for that. I think that involves giving people name tags with their sobriety date and home group listed on it. So hopefully I'm feeling good enough to go to that tonight.

Congrats to everyone who woke up Saturday morning sober and hangover-free! And welcome to any newcomers. This group has played a HUGE part in my ten days so far.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

CaseyW, that's so funny about the bath. I don't associate a bath with drinking, thank God, because it's one of my "healthy relaxation strategies." I took one this morning with magnesium sulfate salts. It was great!

I hope you feel better soon! Is your dad a doctor, or does he have random antibiotics laying around, or both?