View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  
CaseyW
Re-Member

Day Ten

I'd say I'm starting day ten now but it actually started a couple of hours ago as I woke up at around six this morning with a very sore throat. I'm most definitely in the first stages of a cold or other virus of some kind. My dad is supposed to be bringing me over some antibiotics in the next half hour or so. In the meantime, I'm sipping on some chamomile tea. While I never really equate being sick with drinking, I still need to be careful as anytime I'm tired my alcoholic mind really can start whispering to me.

Yesterday was another day of the same--work, home, meeting. While I was at home last night I decided to take a long, hot bath while I read for a bit. In the past that late afternoon hot bath with a book has been a time when I'd often pour that first glass of wine. While I was in the tub, I had some pretty strong rationalizations/cravings from my alcoholism trying to talk me into taking "one more" drink. But while those thoughts were going on, at the same time I had the exact opposite thoughts just as strongly. "This is stupid. You know if you take that drink that in a week or two or even less you'll be back in the exact same spot you were nine days ago--vowing once again that you'll never drink again." I thought the drink thru and was able to pretty easily resist. That being said, I'll probably avoid hot baths with a book in the afternoon for a while. Stick to showers in the morning. Hard to read or drink in the shower!

As for today, at the moment, I think I'm still going to go into work, not gonna call in sick for now. I'm hoping these antibiotics will do the trick. But lots of times on Saturday mornings we've got extra staff coming in trying to make a little extra money so if the opportunity arises for me to leave, I may take it and come home and rest.

My home AA group is hosting the annual area "Oldtimers Meeting" tonight. I have never been before but gather that it is a big deal where folks with ten or more years of sobriety from hundreds of miles around this area all get together for a reunion and meeting. Of course, newcomers are encouraged to attend as well. I've volunteered to help be a greeter for that. I think that involves giving people name tags with their sobriety date and home group listed on it. So hopefully I'm feeling good enough to go to that tonight.

Congrats to everyone who woke up Saturday morning sober and hangover-free! And welcome to any newcomers. This group has played a HUGE part in my ten days so far.