Administrator

Class of April 2014 Part 3

Last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-20.html

D
Old 04-17-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the new thread Dee.

ST. I posted on SR 24 /7 . From bathrooms. From work breaks. Middle of the night. All the time. Played the games on here in the cafe thread. Helped people in newcomers. The gratitude threads. Whatever it took so I did not drink.

And thats the point. To succeed we must do whatever it takes. Bottom line.

Also wanted to say I used Rational Recovery /AVRT a lot. I ordered the books.
Also a big help: the book The easy way to stop drinking by Alan Carr.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

in on 3rd part thread
Old 04-17-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ST, I think that you are posting and seeking help and advice is awesome! There are a plethora of wonderful suggestions here. And I'll tell you, if there is a specific thing going on that you need help dealing with, then posting a thread on the Newcomer's forum really works. It's awesome! Lurking, reading, and posting last night got me through a tough time while the hubby was out drinking.
You're reaching out, that's good!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To be content

Hi Dee, Thank you for asking about my plan earlier. You amaze me how much I see you all over SR. You have master skills

I'm going to come on here for AV troubles. It does help me a lot. My triggers are neighbors, friends, microbrew parties and the stress of my crazy grad project. I am going to just tell people I have quit. Don't really care what they think anymore. I have pressures all over, manager who brews his own beer and mead wine and likes to give me that as gifts for hard work lol, neighbors who are always looking to fill me with beer if they see me outside, and of course the weekend run from the grad project with the grad students retreat to that bar thing.

So I have learned from trying to quit in March that avoidance is the best plan. No more bars, holidays out, and just going to tell people I have a new health plan so I don't have to explain the whole I'm an alcoholic and quitting deal. I know some will know because they see me drink a lot, but at this point I am really tired of it, it brings me a lot of pain, and I have delayed school graduation longer.

Freshstart who is on SR told me to visualize a Compass that doesn't drink under any circumstances, no matter what. I thought that was great advice to help steer away those "oh I can have just one" voices. To be serious and make it an everyday thing to be a Compass that doesn't drink. I know it won't be easy, but going to try my best. Sorry for the long note, glad to be with everyone in April!

Hi Adnamaeel thank you for the Hi earlier!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Thanks Dee for the new thread & guidance & suggestions....very appreciated

Izzy....glad that you attended AA meeting & that you are going to take care of you & your needs - good reminder for us all to do.

4Surf - Glad to see you here & doing what you need to do to take care of yourself too.

ST - Sorry you are struggling today. A new day tomorrow & so many good suggestions given, I hope you will try some of them.

Krete - I started strength training over 2 years ago at age 48 - something I've always wanted to do & was a goal of mine after I lost my first 20 lbs - I love it! Although it has not kept me sober....my health has improved...no more blood pressure medicine...lost 5 dress sizes & don't look to bad for an "old Grammy". I've done a lot of thinking this week about how much effort I've put into getting the exterior in shape that now I need to put that work into "fixing my inside".

Adna - Good for you in sharing your struggles with a friend. I know that has been a good feeling for me when I was finally able to do that and that people are really understanding & supportive of us

Lilac - proud of you for going to a meeting & doing what you need to do for yourself...keep doing that ((Hugs))

Grateful & Compass...glad you are here....good to know we are with others who know just how we are feeling.

I made an appointment today to have my sweet little Yorkie put to sleep tomorrow. He has been with me & my boys for 9 years. Will be a heartbreaking day, but for his sake it needs to be done. Please share your strength & thoughts are way...I know you will. I will share my tears here this weekend I'm sure. Plan to have a sober friend with me when I take him tomorrow.

Noolan...How are you doing?
Old 04-17-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To be content

Hi Mariah, you don't sound like an old grammy to me congrats on working towards working on becoming a healthier you both outside and in. Sorry to hear about your Yorkie, that is one of the hardest things too do. At least he will no longer be in pain there is always comfort in that. Glad that you have a good friend to go with you tomorrow for support. It's very nice of you to include everyone in your post. I look forward to getting to know all of you a little better, the good, the bad, and the ugly
Old 04-17-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...w-members.html
Old 04-17-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Mariah - thinking of you and your dog tomorrow.

D
Old 04-17-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Pinot...how are you doing?
Old 04-17-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

YIPEE- I made it! Not one single pit stop. Not an inkling of .....maybe just a little bit. Day five complete, slam dunk. Darn this feels good.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go Stormi

D
Old 04-17-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Stormi
Old 04-17-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good job Stormi!

Sorry about your puppy, Mariah.

Welcome, Compass! You're right, avoiding it entirely is way easier than saying no every time someone offers one.

Thoughts and good vibes to those of us who are having a hard time tonight. ST, Noolan, hang in there guys.

Oh it just turned midnight! I suppose this is day 8 for me now. Getting pretty tired, so I think I'll try out that "sleep" thing I've heard so much about. Worth a try anyway.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lordy, I have just collapsed through the door and look at all I've missed (collapsed from an exhaustingly long day, not due to anything else )

I'm going to tuck myself in and catch up. Hope everyone is doing well. I finished day 6 feeling good, and day 7 looks good, too - work, and then will hear some live music with a friend who knows I don't drink. I feel very safe and confident and happy - I know I will make it to my Sat morning meeting without a new sobriety date for the first time since I restarted my life in sobriety.

G'nite April class! G'nite ST! G'nite Okra! G'nite Dee! G'nite Mariah! G'nite Kitten! G'nite Grateful! G'nite Stormi!

G'nite John Boy!
Old 04-17-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Goodnight to you all. Sweet dreams, and if you find you can't sleep, a peaceful time of reflection (or a really good movie
Old 04-17-2014, 11:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ok, it clear I had a BAD day, I'm sorry I went haywire. This is a completely new world to me, and obviously didn't deal with my first temptation well. I let my anxiety go absolutely out of control to a point way beyond my control. I'm sorry. I didn't drink a drop and am in day 9. I did more reading focused all on ways to cope with the anxiety. Someone preyed for me and her kind words finally calmed me down. I'm embarrassed by how out of control that got. When I finally calmed down, I started hysterical crying, the first time in these 9 weird days. I think that was needed, a good half hour of emotions coming out of me. I feel better now. I have work in a few hours, but I'm gonna take it 150% easier tomorrow. I'm gonna be reading all day and bookmarked a few important tools to get to quick if I feel worked up. I promise I'm not gonna do this again tomorrow. Thanks for being understanding. Goodnight everyone and sorry again. Thanks all <3
Old 04-17-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not by any means an overly emotional person, even moreso in those days, and believe me, I cried too SolitaryThinker.

You faced your ' Dark Night of the Soul' and you came through.
Noone can ask more than that

D
Old 04-17-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not by any means an overly emotional person, even moreso in those days, and believe me, I cried too SolitaryThinker. You faced your ' Dark Night of the Soul' and you came through. Noone can ask more than that D
Thank you, tomorrow will be better....I can't see how it could get worse starting the day with the memories of this evening. I left work like 20 mins early cause I felt it coming.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Mariah, I am so sorry about your dog. I've had to make that call 3 times in recent years, and it sucks. It's the right thing to do, though. I'm glad you have someone to go with you.

Solitary, no need for apologies. I hope tomorrow is a better day.

DancingDiva, you sound so good tonight. I hope it's a great weekend.

Krete, Eternal, Lilac, Compass, Normi, Overwhelmed and Kitten, good job today, I hope tomorrow goes well, and I'm glad you're all here.