Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 3

Old 04-18-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Made it to day 8 without drinking. I'm not going to lie it was a close call. So grateful today that I rode it out. Slept well and had a successful work session this morning. My mind definitely works better sober!

Thanks to all of you for being here. We all help each other no matter if we are struggling or not. April 14 class lets do this!

Old 04-18-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through it Grateful

D
Old 04-18-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Well done, Grateful!

Today is day 7 for me- feeling GOOD- just walked down to the beach for a little exercise. Reading, guitar, yoga, healthy food and a bit of housework to round out a sober Saturday.

Everyone got plans in place to make it through the weekend??
Old 04-18-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Amanda,
This is my third time quitting , like , for good.

I never count all the times , sick as a dog, I swore I'd never touch the stuff again,
,,...because I didn't mean it like that , ...more like two , three months.
Not like never, never , ;;no , not like never-ever-again,as-long-as-I-may-live-never !??

The first time , I'm pretty sure I may've been going thru some (ptsd ? ) I can never remember those acronyms !? I was drinking from morning till night ,. immense pressure from , how do I put it , a number of segments of law enforcement , ...
,...that first time , I got sober from day one.
Meetings
, eventually started feeling like an imposter because I wasn't a Thiest, but no matter, ,,....I learned in those meetings it's none of my business what other people think of me. .....<one of the most freeing notions ever , imo >

And acceptance ;;,,,,accepting what other folks professed to be true for them
That first time lasted 7 years , ..... I felt so lucky to never do any time,,,..... friends kept going down on some pretty long stretches. I should clarify here , I ain't no, nor never was some Diablo !

Today , was actually a defining moment back then . Heard folks talking about the seriousness , almost a life and death situation of staying sober. I was at six months. Thought they were exaggerating.,,..theatrics , and all.
That afternoon , my Mom called and said my Aunt found my cousin , (her Son) on the front lawn early .

O.D'd

, That was Good Friday.
We used to run together , ..he was a good guy too. A good welder. a little wild's all.,....Only 27.

That kind a shut it down for me. Just damn lucky to even be able to honor his tragic death with sobriety .

When ya hear people say, "it keeps getting better" . it's true , they're not lying

Was on the Mountaintop, and didn't even know it, . ,... ego's a hell'a va thing

anyway, ...my tears tonight make it real again.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for your loss Top.

D
Old 04-18-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4Surf4Life View Post
Well done, Grateful!

Today is day 7 for me- feeling GOOD- just walked down to the beach for a little exercise. Reading, guitar, yoga, healthy food and a bit of housework to round out a sober Saturday.

Everyone got plans in place to make it through the weekend??
Congrats on day 7 Surf!!!

Old 04-18-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by overwhelmd View Post
Mood swing. Out of nowhere, I suddenly feel really antsy... like I could just jump out of my skin. Maybe because it's Friday night and that "old feeling" is welling up. What do you call it? The addictive voice? AV? Whatever it is, I wish I could strangle it, punch it, and pound it into a grave.

God this just SUCKS sometimes!!!
I feel that exact same way right now! Day 18 and I was doing well and out of the blue today my positive hopeful mood is in the dumps. Could be the fact that I woke up to yet more snow that kept on coming all day from the dark overcast ugly sky. I've cried, had my pity party thinking that my "acquaintances" are enjoying themselves and I'm missing out. Fact is I know the only thing that I would be missing is money out of my account and I'd feel guilty, hopeless and terrible tomorrow.
Instead, I am going to just go to bed soon in the hopes that tomorrow will be a better day.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your cousin, Topspin. Such a tragic loss. You do his memory honor by being sober tonight. I've had quite a few drug losses too, it can be hard to let go of being angry about them.
I think of love as being like energy, it can't be created or destroyed, only transformed. So when I think of my dead, I think of the love they gave and the love they received, and I imagine it flowing throughout everything. Sometimes I can even feel it.

And one more thing, ya know the third time's a charm.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by overwhelmd View Post
Mood swing. Out of nowhere, I suddenly feel really antsy... like I could just jump out of my skin. Maybe because it's Friday night and that "old feeling" is welling up. What do you call it? The addictive voice? AV? Whatever it is, I wish I could strangle it, punch it, and pound it into a grave.

God this just SUCKS sometimes!!!
This is normal. The mood swings happen frequently at first and taper off, but they do go away entirely over time, may take 6 months. The most important thing to know is that they are temporary - they usually only last ten to fifteen minutes. Ride it out, exercise, scream, go to bed, do anything but drink... because drinking only sets the whole process back to where you started or worse.

Sobriety is an incredible way to live, hang in there!
Old 04-18-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Adna, top, thank you both so much for sharing that. It's good to unload the heavy stuff.

I was 15 when my uncle drank himself to death. My dad realized he had a problem and gave up drinking in his mid-30s (about the same age I am now, actually) and hasn't touched the stuff since. I've known these things from the first time I drank and did it anyway. Kept doing it anyway. Not even ignoring the spectre hanging over it all, just preferring to drink and hoping somehow things would work out better for me.

It sounds insane now. It is insane.

I didn't drink today.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eddiebuckle View Post
This is normal. The mood swings happen frequently at first and taper off, but they do go away entirely over time, may take 6 months. The most important thing to know is that they are temporary - they usually only last ten to fifteen minutes. Ride it out, exercise, scream, go to bed, do anything but drink... because drinking only sets the whole process back to where you started or worse.

Sobriety is an incredible way to live, hang in there!
thanks Eddiebuckle. It WAS temporary. I rode it out, now I'm in my PJs watching reruns of South Park and eating cereal. And I feel peace. Whew. It weirds me out how touch and go my mind has been. It's like I'm 2 different people. I am a Gemini, but this is freaking ridiculous.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:15 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hey everyone-

I made it through today Tomorrow I will awaken to my first day 8 since I left sobriety two years ago. I'm so happy I could cry! I went to a jazz concert tonight with a friend - amazing music, joy, laughter, fun, and no drinks. My ears are still ringing, but it was the best Friday night I've had in a loooooooong time.

Thanks to everyone for all the support - this is my third try this month, and this group has really helped keep my motivation going! If you're struggling, just keep coming here - it helps so much!

'Night y'all!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Topspin, sorry for your loss.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Tony

So based on my date hopefully this stays my class. Just trying to reach out and get likeminded people in my life
Old 04-18-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Welcome Tony!

Old 04-18-2014, 10:47 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Tony

D
Old 04-18-2014, 10:48 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Tony

Any experience that is around going from no structure to structure will help a lot
Old 04-18-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

A lot of urges today, I really need some warm weather an some new hobbies
Old 04-18-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

new hobbies is a great idea MyTime
Old 04-18-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Goodnight DD - Great that you enjoyed a sober Friday night with good music!!

Thanks ALL for your thoughts & kind words.....I couldn't do it today. My Son came down stairs this morning & our little dog saw him & his back end & that little tail (most Yorkies have docked tails....but Ry has a whole one) was just a going like it always does when he see us....and I just couldn't. Know that it will need to happen soon, but not today.

Had a very long Friday....left for work this am & grocery shopping after & out to the school to get B from practice, home for a few then off to take B to another school for an event....went to Friday night speaker meeting (was OK) then pick B up...give his friend a ride home & finally just home a bit ago. Tired but is nice to be driving again so that I can do those things for & with him.

So much support & encouragement from reading your posts here tonight. So glad for ALL with another day of sobriety.

Amanda.....reading your posts before you shared your story, I was thinking...she sure seems like a thoughtful, kind person & when I read your story & you described how when you thought you might not wake up again, but your thinking was of what hurt it may cause your friends.....GEE girl So glad you are here & you, as so many here show such strength in facing this "monster"...addiction.

Thank you too TS for sharing that....I have felt so.....defeated in this "thing" with the last couple of relapses...slips or whatever you want to call them & reading that post just gives me hope that I can "get this thing"...thank you.

Wild Child - Glad you had a nice sober vacation...thats the best. Surf....sounds like a beautiful....great day!!

Overwhelmed & Stormi your doing great...keep "pummeling that AV" He sucks! Kitten...really hope you have better, brighter day tomorrow....warm thoughts your way!

Thanks to everyone else who posted here tonight....you really do encourage & help me to get through my moments of anxiety & discomfort. Good night All....taking my Son out to ball field early, then back out there to watch them play another double header. Looks like it will be a beautiful day for a ball game.