Administrator

Class of August 2014 Part 14

Last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-13-a-20.html

D
Old 12-06-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee for the new thread

I am whacked so super quick bedtime check in. Went for a HUGE burger with a friend. Gym tomorrow I think.

Sounds like everyone has had a decent day. Keep going everyone, we can get through anything as the Team A collective! Good night from the UK.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Christmas party with an open bar tonight. Really didn't bug me.

My wife had two drinks (she rarely drinks and very rarely has more than one). I was pretty happy since I really don't want my decision to affect her choices.

Stay on task folks!
Old 12-06-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

London that is wonderful news about your bloods, what an awesome 4 month gift! Excited to hear what colour your 4 month chip is :-)

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!!! Having a ball. Av started yesterday. It's my birthday and I can't even have champagne blah blah but I did it :-) first sober birthday in 15 years......I'm 33 now.
Glandon, I'm 7 hours in front of UK so celebrated on both time zones!!
Off for a swim trying not to think about work next week, hope you are all well, lots of love and bug hugs to you all xxx
Old 12-06-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I made it through my birthday and Thanksgiving (and all the 'holidays' involving booze around those two days) last week. 120 days sober as of an hour ago.

4 months.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hobbers congratulations! 4 months. 120 days. Successful celebrations, fantastic news! Xxx
Old 12-07-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good morning,

Congratulations, Hobbers!

I think this is going to be the toughest time of year for most of us because we have always celebrated the holidays with drinks - most normal people do that with no problem. Unfortunately, I know one drink becomes a drunk. I was looking through the sparkling ciders and juices yesterday, thinking of buying a few to use as a celebratory drink - right now I am doing seltzer water and cranberry juice...very festive looking.

I feel I want my drink to fit in - go unnoticed - unlike a glass of plain water. My AV has been quiet for some time, but I know it can pop up at any moment, especially if I am hungry.

My brother phoned from Texas; all upset again. His wife screamed at him because he let their six-year-old have chocolate milk with his lunch !?!?!? She has banned all football-watching at their house. I told him he needs to grow a pair. I don't see this marriage lasting, but he is very, very close to his three kids. He does the groceries, most of the cooking, all the laundry. They have a cleaning lady two mornings a week. They went to marriage counseling once, a few weeks ago, and she did not like what the counselor, who was highly recommended, had to say. Oooooh, would I like to give her a piece of my mind. Unfortunately, as you know, I did that once, three years ago, after a few drinks, and she still throws it in my brother's face. This time I would like to do it totally sober, calmly, with a smile on my face........but, I won't, because I know that will make it worse for him. I also wish he would phone one of my other two brothers, or one of my two sisters, instead of me. They are all married and could relate better. I don't know why he always calls me. It isn't because I am a a lawyer, because one of my brothers is a lawyer in DC. One of my sisters is a psycho-analyst....you would think he would call her! I guess it is because I am the only one who ever called her out and let her have it....he knows I know what she is like.

AGH! This is bothering me. I feel like getting on a plane and going down there. But, it is not bothering me as much as it would if I had a few drinks....much easier to deal with this sober.

Have a happy, safe and sober Sunday everyone.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Scooter you're being a great support to your brother, he's lucky ☺ I know what you mean about wanting a normal looking drink. I sometimes have appletizer, or pineapple juice and lemonade, or cranberry and soda. What really annoys me is the only diet drink available is always diet coke. I love diet coke, but I don't always want caffeine. Why they don't have flavoured waters I do not know, the supermarkets are full of it!

Here on holiday, again, the only diet drink is coke, so unless I want a tonne of sugar it's that or water. The one downside here.

Keep at it chick, you've more than doubled your previous best now , soon be 120 for you ☺ xx
Old 12-07-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey all

Afternoon check in.

Hobbers - that's great on 120. Those days are racking up my friend.

Scooter - I am with you on the festive period and normal drinks. I am the king of diet coke so it doesn't bother me so much at the parties I am going to. But at home I have been drinking sparkling grape juice and that's what I will be having over the holidays. It's funny, my parents used to give me sparkling grape juice in a wine glass so I could feel grown up at Christmas! Maybe you can check it out? The brand is called Shloer in the UK, not sure if you guys have similar? They even do a pink fizz version with popping cork. Perfect for New Years.

Pink - you need to try some of the street stalls and the freshly squeezed juices. Just ask for no sugar as the Thais add spoonfuls to their juices! Maybe guava or mango. Yum yum. I am glad you are having a great time. I will let you know the color chip, I am going to get it on Wednesday.

Keep going everyone! Positivity!

I am going to have an afternoon nap. Just because I feel like it and it's not a hangover necessity! Then gym early evening.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Today is day 36! 1 slip in the last 71 days! I continue to try and stay focused. There are a few things that tempt me....the new town we live in has many pubs and taverns. When we drive by them we say that we want to go and check then out. I'm not sure how I will fare if we do go. Last night we went to dinner at a local restaurant. We had to walk through the bar to get to our table. The bar was full of people drinking, talking and having fun. It tempted me. I have not given in. I just wish I was one of the millions of people that can drink responsibly and in moderation.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hobbers and London, awesome job!!

Great to see everyone winning the AV battles at parties, at shows, on holiday and in pubs!!! Not easy, but it seems the hard part is the romanticizing about it before hand. Just remember the promise it never delivers... we are all too far down the sunny side of the street now!

Went to a surprise birthday party and holiday celebration of sorts. DJ and open bar. People dressed in black with ties, etc. I said, what the heck, I can still be my old crazy self sober, so I wore a silk 1970's vintage shirt with little panda bears on it under the suit with the collar pulled out and a black top hat. Had a lot of fun being silly, talking to folks, laughing and drinking cranberry and lime. Felt great to drive home sober in the rain with no worries. Wanted to see if we can gradually get back the fun part of ourselves we thought we needed alcohol for. Guess what, we can and it is much better! Thought I would share that lesson learned.

Sober Monday ahead. I will never take those for granted.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good morning all, hello from London

Another new week and another sober Monday! Starting work a little later than usual today which is great.

Not much to report from me, I had a quiet Sunday. Just some Christmas shopping and relaxing.

Eyes down for a great week everyone :-)
Old 12-08-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Hobbers and Rah - and everyone else

D
Old 12-08-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Rahh you are doing fabulously hun, riding through the temptation isn't easy, big well done to you on these evenings out, be proud of yourself xxx raining hee in Thailand, went jungle trekking this morning and got drenched! Was really calming and therapeutic though, now chilling with a diet coke at the hotel whilst the monsoon happens around us!
Old 12-08-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good morning,

Just a quick check-in. Congrats to all fighting the good fight. I will look for the sparkling grape juice. I saw sparkling apple cider, but the grape juice sounds tastier.

I feel my sense of humor has come back - - honestly, I was funny as hell for years, and then lost most of that - - too busy waiting for my next drink to see the fun in every day life I guess. I feel I lost 25 years to my (hopefully secret) alcoholism.

I am going to the Y, then to read the shelves at the library. My cleaning lady texted me last night to ask if she could come today instead of tomorrow. That's fine with me, but it means I have to run around to pick up a few things, put the bathroom rugs out on the back deck, put Scooter's scattered toys in his basket, etc.

Have a happy, safe and sober day everyone.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

good morning all- just checking in. I had some fleeting thoughts this past weekend that I've gotten "boring" and my life had become boring sans alcohol. After some soul-searching I decided that if I am feeling that way, it is up to me to become "un-boring". Booze isn't going to make me exciting or charismatic- just pathetic, sloppy and long-winded. Have a great day everyone!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey team! Just checking in. Been busy with work and my kids.

I'm looking into fancy NA drinks for the holidays and my brothers wedding this weekend too. I don't drink diet coke and at home I make my own flavored waters but still struggle with NA choices when out. I really enjoy the Fentiman's brewed sodas and lemonades they are NA but so delish and interesting. I believe they are made in the UK.

I'm not so worried about my brothers wedding this weekend but it might be different when I'm there so need a plan. Plus we are staying at a hotel that does a free happy hour of drinks every night. Planning on ordering Shirley Temples as back up or Pelligrino with lime...should prob bring my own just in case. Also I will be with my kids so that will help. I am worried that I will be triggered to drink a few days after the wedding.

Scooter - you are a wonderful sister; you are doing so much for your brother just by listening to your brother and truly understanding his situation. I'm sure that is why he is turning to you right now. You are doing amazing! So inspiring!

Pink - so wonderful to hear you are enjoying your trip sober. Have you gone for a ride on an elephant yet?

London - enjoy your Monday...you are doing fab...when I struggle i think of your advice to take baby steps and it always helps me!

Team A - please check in when you can - hugs to all!

Old 12-08-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Grateful the elephant trekking was wonderful thanks, got to feed and make a fuss of them and the jungle was so pretty, a fab time had! Xx hope you're ok, you're doing grand with all the days you're racking up! Xx
Old 12-08-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Monday check in Team A. It's great to see everyone seems to have their strategies down for pushing through holiday temptations. We really are filling up our SR tool box. Way to go team!

I'm personally facing up to some old demons this holiday season. Turns out the big A wasn't the only demon haunting me. Have some old baggage I should have handled a long time ago and it turns out I'm handling it now in very sloppy fashion.

On the upside - I'm handling it sober! - and have undeservedly supportive family and friends. So much to be thankful for today. I'm just feeling a little unworthy. But trying not to beat myself up and dwell on the past. The most I can do is ensure that I make the best decisions possible from here and put my best foot forward. Thanks to SR and new found sobriety, I am actually feeling confident that I will do that. Self-improvement never ends I think. Coincidentally I have that tattooed in Japanese on my shoulder. Guess it took me a few years to take it to heart.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi All,

I have a slightly contrarian view on the Holiday Season. I am looking forward to it, and even welcome being around social drinkers. I know this sounds a little weird.

Mrs. Glandon and I have been invited to a host of various Holiday functions-some of which we've already attended, others to come.

As I walk in, I already know in advance that while I am there, I am going to enjoy some type of tasty AF drinks, so it's no big deal- I don't feel any temptations. What is interesting, is watching others drink (frequency, amounts of consumption, etc). As a non-drinker, I've become very aware of the consumption patterns by others. I find this to be very therapeutic and helpful in my non-drinking journey. I see how "normal" people attend these parties and drink. What I see is the VAST number of people I observe, drink very moderately, and yet enjoy the party or dinner very much, just like I did.

For instance, we attended a dinner party last evening with about 5 other couples. The host couple really enjoys fine wines and various liquors. So, with each course, there was a wine-pairing and then various liqueurs to finish things off. With each course, a comment might be made about how a certain wine complemented that dish we were enjoying. Most people took a sip or two, with their food, commented on the wine and that was about it. There were at least 4 or 5 wines served, and yet most people had pretty full glasses left at the end of each course.

I am learning, by example, that most people don't need to rely on AL as an important part of their social party/dinner experience. This is the way normal folks operate and it's good to see them in action.

BY STARK CONTRAST, I can remember my last year's Holiday experiences. I was pretty much oblivious to what anyone else was drinking. All I knew was I wanted to get hammered and the more I could drink either at the event, (or slightly in advance as a warm-up) the better. All the glasses of wine, etc. placed in front of me were finished in very short order.

Point is, that after my firm decision to quit, and after reaching some sustained level of sobriety, I find it helpful and in fact educational, to re-orient my way back into normal social occasions, and see how other people handle this stuff. All the time knowing that I will forever be the outlier because I do not have an "off button" when it comes to AL, therefore I simply don't drink and that's just fine. We all enjoyed each others company, the other guests had some AL, I didn't, but we all had a great time together.

On the darker side, on one occasion, I did observe an individual who was drinking way too much- I felt sorry for the person and yet it once again made me feel grateful for my ability to quit.